The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Not a Russel Group Uni

I really liked this university, but I'm worried for my career prospects after - just on the basis that it is not a Russel Group University. Do I have good reason to worry?
russel group is only for those studying STEM subjects. Also there are loads of universities in the top 20 who aren't in the russel group... Employers are more interested in what course you did, the honours received and you work experience.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
It is very hard to say unless you give us some background information about what course you want to do and what you future goals are.

Lancaster is a top 10 UK University with a good reputation. Is it better than Oxbridge? Not at all, but nobody is pretending it is. However, it is better than a lot of the other Russel Group Universities (the group ranges from ranks 1-38).

I think unless you are going for the very top of the tree in a STEM subject, you have nothing to worry about in my opinion :smile:
makes no difference. lancaster has excellent graduate prospects according to the league tables. the problem is that its in Bailrigg.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
makes no difference. lancaster has excellent graduate prospects according to the league tables. the problem is that its in Bailrigg.

Whats wrong with Bailrigg? Do you not love the desolate nothingness. :biggrin:
Original post by Yellow2914
It is very hard to say unless you give us some background information about what course you want to do and what you future goals are.

Lancaster is a top 10 UK University with a good reputation. Is it better than Oxbridge? Not at all, but nobody is pretending it is. However, it is better than a lot of the other Russel Group Universities (the group ranges from ranks 1-38).

I think unless you are going for the very top of the tree in a STEM subject, you have nothing to worry about in my opinion :smile:

I'm due to start a Physics degree at a non-RG uni in a couple of weeks... it is TEF gold but should I be going to a RG instead?
Not solely on the basis that its outside the Russell group.

But do check the university's drop out rate, reviews from current students and the area that it's based in.
Try talking to current students and visiting on open days to get a sense of the atmosphere to see if it suits you.
Listen if your gut tells you that something feels off or there's a sense that something weird is going on.
If there's high drop out, lot of student complaints about lecturers/facilities or located close to an area with high antisocial behaviour or crime- BEWARE.
Original post by Quantum_of_Hope
I'm due to start a Physics degree at a non-RG uni in a couple of weeks... it is TEF gold but should I be going to a RG instead?

Im definitely no expert!

However, I went to Lancaster University and studied Accounting and Finance. The fact that my degree was from a none Russel Group (RG) university, never caused me any issues.

I have heard, (but again i am no expert), that for STEM it matters more. However, I still wouldn't recommend going to a lower tier RG over a better none RG. If you can go to Oxbridge, Durham, LSE ect, then that's the best way to go, but i think as you move down the RG rankings the difference in graduate prospects between RG and none RG universities drops.

I would always recommend going to the university that you will be most happy at. If you like the look at the none RG uni, and you can see yourself there, id go with that choice. Its much better to be happy and do well than go to a lower tier RG university that you hate.
Original post by d.s.torrente
I really liked this university, but I'm worried for my career prospects after - just on the basis that it is not a Russel Group University. Do I have good reason to worry?

Most prestigious Unis (ie highly regarded by employers) are RG but that shouldn't really matter. The RG matters if your planning on doing a research degree, ie an MSc, MRes, PhD etc, and you need funding, particularly in the STEM fields (and tbh the RG matters more for academics than students).

Im going to assume u are applying at undergrad level in which case it makes no difference. People seem to have serious misconceptions about Uni when they are applying during their a levels. Apply for the course and Uni u want not what funding alliances a Uni has, you can research each Unis employability and partner employers, and see if its in the industry u want to work in post degree
Original post by Yellow2914
Im definitely no expert!

However, I went to Lancaster University and studied Accounting and Finance. The fact that my degree was from a none Russel Group (RG) university, never caused me any issues.

I have heard, (but again i am no expert), that for STEM it matters more. However, I still wouldn't recommend going to a lower tier RG over a better none RG. If you can go to Oxbridge, Durham, LSE ect, then that's the best way to go, but i think as you move down the RG rankings the difference in graduate prospects between RG and none RG universities drops.

I would always recommend going to the university that you will be most happy at. If you like the look at the none RG uni, and you can see yourself there, id go with that choice. Its much better to be happy and do well than go to a lower tier RG university that you hate.

Hi, thanks for your reply :smile:

I was supposed to go to a Russell Group uni (Imperial) but due to medical reasons they won't let me back this year. But I have found a place at a non-RG uni through clearing.
Hi I aim to do natural sciences/biochemistry, I don’t know what that means for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending