The Student Room Group

A christian dating a non christian (sikh) help

the guy im seeing is amazing, and i really like him and he likes me back, the only thing holding him back is his faith- Christianity.

If his teaching tells him is not allowed, then he'll end things between us, putting his faith first- which i totally respect and understand.

But if anyone can help me understand what the Bibles teachings are for this, and how we could possibly over come this without any of us converting or what we could do would be great help.

Non of us want to convert but we really want it work out

Scroll to see replies

It really depends on which denomination he is and how strict he is! There are Bible verses about not "yolking" (or some word like that) with non-believers but how this is interpreted and enacted varies from denomination to denomination.

For example, if he is Roman Catholic, you two could both marry and in a church - you would just have to formally agree to your children being brought up Roman Catholic. (Of course there is no way of enforcing this, so people can - and do - just lie when it comes to this bit.) :jebus:
Original post by CleverSquirrel
the guy im seeing is amazing, and i really like him and he likes me back, the only thing holding him back is his faith- Christianity.

If his teaching tells him is not allowed, then he'll end things between us, putting his faith first- which i totally respect and understand.

But if anyone can help me understand what the Bibles teachings are for this, and how we could possibly over come this without any of us converting or what we could do would be great help.

It really depends. Some Christians have absolutely no problem with inter-religious marriage, others find it to be a problem. The Bible tends to be quite strict when it comes to other religions in general, but not all Christians follow the Bible word for word. In your case, it’s probably best that you ask him about it. Don’t be afraid to ask him the difficult questions; not all Christians will leave someone that they can’t convert, but some will. It’s good to get these concerns out of the way. I’d hazard a guess that if he knows you’re Sikh he probably doesn’t care, so it’s probably going to be good for your relationship to absolve your worries in each other now.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It really depends on which denomination he is and how strict he is! There are Bible verses about not "yolking" (or some word like that) with non-believers but how this is interpreted and enacted varies from denomination to denomination.

For example, if he is Roman Catholic, you two could both marry and in a church - you would just have to formally agree to your children being brought up Roman Catholic. (Of course there is no way of enforcing this, so people can - and do - just lie when it comes to this bit.) :jebus:

i see, and understand too
i dont know how denomination, he does seem quite strict in all fairness and im completely okay with that, but we both really like eachother, ill find out :redface:

Original post by TimGB
It really depends. Some Christians have absolutely no problem with inter-religious marriage, others find it to be a problem. The Bible tends to be quite strict when it comes to other religions in general, but not all Christians follow the Bible word for word. In your case, it’s probably best that you ask him about it. Don’t be afraid to ask him the difficult questions; not all Christians will leave someone that they can’t convert, but some will. It’s good to get these concerns out of the way. I’d hazard a guess that if he knows you’re Sikh he probably doesn’t care, so it’s probably going to be good for your relationship to absolve your worries in each other now.

i think it is an issue for his as he's outright said that me being not christian an issue for him.
We've been debating about this for a few days and hes holding back from me. He said he needs time to think about it and speak to a few people at church and come to a conclusion but i fear of him leaving me :frown:
i see, and understand too
i dont know how denomination, he does seem quite strict in all fairness and im completely okay with that, but we both really like eachother, ill find out :redface:

i think it is an issue for his as he's outright said that me being not christian an issue for him.
We've been debating about this for a few days and hes holding back from me. He said he needs time to think about it and speak to a few people at church and come to a conclusion but i fear of him leaving me :frown:

Christians like that really piss me off, ngl. He ought to have known it would be an issue for him and not dated you in the first place :dontknow:
Christians like that really piss me off, ngl. He ought to have known it would be an issue for him and not dated you in the first place :dontknow:

he knew this from the start :frown:
he knew this from the start :frown:

I don’t know what can be done, but you could perhaps ask him if he’d consider a more progressive interpretation of his faith. I’d recommend the book “Living the questions: the wisdom of progressive Christianity”, which is written by a group of professional and devout Christian scholars. I don’t know if it’ll help, but it’s the best thing I can think of.
People of different religions shouldn't date because it causes problems if they're proper strict with religion. But if u wanna be a Sikh and he wants to remain Christian you can try buy if u have kids what religion will they have and if they choose to be one over the other imagine u or him might be upset. Moreover, your parents may not like it but you're an adult so its your choice. Furthermore, if u love him and u believe he loves u then just go for it and try to respect his faith as he should respect yours. My aunt was different religion to my uncle but they were fine but I guess neither of them were practising their religion properly

u finally got urself a dude
if anyone can help me understand what the Bibles teachings are for this, and how we could possibly over come this without any of us converting or what we could do would be great help.

This is so cute...

Ruth was one of the first converts into Israel, and she did it for marriage... Romantic, right? See, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ruth+1&version=kjv; and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_(biblical_figure) Ruth ends up having one the richest mother and daughter-in-law relationships in the Bible... She grows attached to Naomi and says one of the sweetest lines in the Bible: "for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried" (Ruth 1:16-17). Sweet, right? And so in biblical history, she's noted as one of the outsiders who wasn't meant to be saved, but was.

It sounds like your man doesn't know what he's doing... maybe a bit immature... maybe indoctrinated and cultish... or maybe shy and introverted... only you will know...

In the Bible, marriage is for man and woman, simple as that. God made Adam and he gave him Eve and said to him "it's not good for man to be alone". A woman was made to be man's helper.

In terms of marriage, being a consenting adult qualifies enough, and having your dad's blessing is all he needs to propose.

Life, however, will much richer and easier if you (both) learn about God and his plan for your life. His greatest commandment is to "Love the Lord the God with all thy heart soul mind and strength and love your neighbour as your self". (Luke 10:27). That is to LOVE HIM with everything, not merely 'convert', or 'go to church', which is often quite vain and meaningless at the end of the day. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Marriage/
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by adelphos
This is so cute...

Ruth was one of the first converts into Israel, and she did it for marriage... Romantic, right? See, https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ruth+1&version=kjv; and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_(biblical_figure) Ruth ends up having one the richest mother and daughter-in-law relationships in the Bible... She grows attached to Naomi and says one of the sweetest lines in the Bible: "for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried" (Ruth 1:16-17). Sweet, right? And so in biblical history, she's noted as one of the outsiders who wasn't meant to be saved, but was.

It sounds like your man doesn't know what he's doing... maybe a bit immature... maybe indoctrinated and cultish... or maybe shy and introverted... only you will know...

In the Bible, marriage is for man and woman, simple as that. God made Adam and he gave him Eve and said to him "it's not good for man to be alone". A woman was made to be man's helper.

In terms of marriage, being a consenting adult qualifies enough, and having your dad's blessing is all he needs to propose.

Life, however, will much richer and easier if you (both) learn about God and his plan for your life. His greatest commandment is to "Love the Lord the God with all thy heart soul mind and strength and love your neighbour as your self". (Luke 10:27). That is to LOVE HIM with everything, not merely 'convert', or 'go to church', which is often quite vain and meaningless at the end of the day. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Marriage/

This was so helpful , and amazing to read too! That's articles help, thank you so so much

LGT is correct in that regard.

He refers to 2 Corinthians 6 which contrasts believers and unbelievers, as light and darkness. Paul writes, "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers... " https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+6%3A14-17&version=KJV This would be quite a serious verse since "God is light and in him is no darkness at all" https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+1%3A5&version=KJV

The verse is also opposed to idol worship, contrasting it to the Judeo-Christian believer who's body is the temple of the Lord. And the yoke metaphor is a farming analogy to illustrate that when two buffalos / cows are hooked up together with equipment that's the right shape and size the animals can farm more efficiently, without chafing, without injury. Hence Christ said, "MY YOKE is easy and my burden is light" in reference to keeping his commandments / the Torah / Biblical law. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+11%3A28-30&version=KJV

Relationship have ups and downs. -- So, the yoke analogy is quite important. It's also quite interesting how the yoke works, because a yoke that fits properly allows them to carry MUCH HEAVIER loads, and plow straight lines for longer periods; and the animals will live longer. Similar to a 60L hiking backpack with waist straps and chest straps vs a side carry duffle bag which is not good for backs.

@CleverSquirrel I think your relationship is permissible, but it may not be beneficial (unless you're both believers, heading in the same direction, towards Christ, under the same law, the same system, same God).

Idolatry in the Bible, is also broader than literal figurine idols, or images, it refers to love that is misplaced (i.e. the antithesis of 'Loving the Lord thy God' is to hate him). The term idolatry is used figuratively relating also to loving things and people, more than God himself. For example, "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+10%3A37-38&version=KJV

On the positive side, in relation to Sihkism, it seems Sihkism has changed in the last 100 years, having prohibited idol worship since early 20th century. Remarkably this satisfies the literal prohibition against idolatry in Corinthians! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idolatry_in_Sikhism. However, it depends on the OP beliefs, whether or not she practices this. Because out of the Nirankari, Sanatan, and Khalsa, only Nirankari and Khalsa Sikhs have abolished idolatry... the Sanatans refused throw out their idols...

The OP headline also does state that she identifies as a "Sikh" and is reluctant to convert. "without any of us converting ... Non of us want to convert...", so maybe that's her situation...

But it seems quite clear that the OP is keen to convert, and she's waiting for a proposal: ""If his teaching tells him is not allowed, then he'll end things between us, putting his faith first- which i totally respect and understand."

Again, I refer to Ruth as the example to follow. If the OP commits herself positively towards God, God will path the way for her future. And naturally she won't be a hindrance on her husband. If however, she is reluctant, resistant, and adversarial, the relationship will be stressed. The consequence for the husband may result in a forfeited / ruined faith, and perhaps hell. And he would be the one taking a risk for her. Hence Christ taught about "Seeds going into fertile soil and others falling cracks and dying". And this is what Paul is implying to in Corinthians 6. You ideally want a partner who

Another reason why Ruth's case is so important, is that even tough she was an outsider, God must have loved her, and she must have been a very lovable and dedicated Israelite convert, because God allowed her to become and ANCESTOR OF JESUS. How incredible! Her name is honoured and immortalised in Scripture, and as a mother of the Messiah! Extraordinary!

See Matthew 1:5, "and Booz begat Obed of Ruth" https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+1&version=KJV. -- "She is one of five women mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus found in the Gospel of Matthew, alongside Tamar, Rahab, the "wife of Uriah" (Bathsheba), and Mary.[2]"

You sound like a Ruth to me! :smile:

God bless you both.
(edited 5 years ago)
Why did he date you if he wasn't sure of his own standing?
Surely he knew you were a sikh.

You'll have to wait for him to talk to church and people etc and form a decision himself.
(edited 5 years ago)
eh time to convert

have fun

You shouldn't. You exist, but there's no evidence that a god does.
Original post by adelphos
LGT is correct in that regard.

He refers to 2 Corinthians 6 which contrasts believers and unbelievers, as light and darkness. Paul writes, "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers... " https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+6%3A14-17&version=KJV This would be quite a serious verse since "God is light and in him is no darkness at all" https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+1%3A5&version=KJV

The verse is also opposed to idol worship, contrasting it to the Judeo-Christian believer who's body is the temple of the Lord. And the yoke metaphor is a farming analogy to illustrate that when two buffalos / cows are hooked up together with equipment that's the right shape and size the animals can farm more efficiently, without chafing, without injury. Hence Christ said, "MY YOKE is easy and my burden is light" in reference to keeping his commandments / the Torah / Biblical law. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+11%3A28-30&version=KJV

Relationship have ups and downs. -- So, the yoke analogy is quite important. It's also quite interesting how the yoke works, because a yoke that fits properly allows them to carry MUCH HEAVIER loads, and plow straight lines for longer periods; and the animals will live longer. Similar to a 60L hiking backpack with waist straps and chest straps vs a side carry duffle bag which is not good for backs.

@CleverSquirrel I think your relationship is permissible, but it may not be beneficial (unless you're both believers, heading in the same direction, towards Christ, under the same law, the same system, same God).

Idolatry in the Bible, is also broader than literal figurine idols, or images, it refers to love that is misplaced (i.e. the antithesis of 'Loving the Lord thy God' is to hate him). The term idolatry is used figuratively relating also to loving things and people, more than God himself. For example, "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+10%3A37-38&version=KJV

On the positive side, in relation to Sihkism, it seems Sihkism has changed in the last 100 years, having prohibited idol worship since early 20th century. Remarkably this satisfies the literal prohibition against idolatry in Corinthians! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idolatry_in_Sikhism. However, it depends on the OP beliefs, whether or not she practices this. Because out of the Nirankari, Sanatan, and Khalsa, only Nirankari and Khalsa Sikhs have abolished idolatry... the Sanatans refused throw out their idols...

The OP headline also does state that she identifies as a "Sikh" and is reluctant to convert. "without any of us converting ... Non of us want to convert...", so maybe that's her situation...

But it seems quite clear that the OP is keen to convert, and she's waiting for a proposal: ""If his teaching tells him is not allowed, then he'll end things between us, putting his faith first- which i totally respect and understand."

Again, I refer to Ruth as the example to follow. If the OP commits herself positively towards God, God will path the way for her future. And naturally she won't be a hindrance on her husband. If however, she is reluctant, resistant, and adversarial, the relationship will be stressed. The consequence for the husband may result in a forfeited / ruined faith, and perhaps hell. And he would be the one taking a risk for her. Hence Christ taught about "Seeds going into fertile soil and others falling cracks and dying". And this is what Paul is implying to in Corinthians 6. You ideally want a partner who

Another reason why Ruth's case is so important, is that even tough she was an outsider, God must have loved her, and she must have been a very lovable and dedicated Israelite convert, because God allowed her to become and ANCESTOR OF JESUS. How incredible! Her name is honoured and immortalised in Scripture, and as a mother of the Messiah! Extraordinary!

See Matthew 1:5, "and Booz begat Obed of Ruth" https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+1&version=KJV. -- "She is one of five women mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus found in the Gospel of Matthew, alongside Tamar, Rahab, the "wife of Uriah" (Bathsheba), and Mary.[2]"

You sound like a Ruth to me! :smile:

God bless you both.

I love this 😅

Well over the last month or so I have been going to church with him and learning alot more about Christinanity, I've always been around Christianity as in I went to a Catholic primary school and then a c of e secondary school, and I'm being pulled in by the love of Christ and I've accepted him and god's love too... So now I do identify as a Christian and the church I go to has accepted me into the family too .... The reckless love of God is well and truly over whelming!! I went to my first communion last week and I'm still learning and building a relationship with God

Thank you so much!!!
You sikh help? Jesus says God loves everyone so np.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
What a disgrace. 🙄
... I'm being pulled in by the love of Christ and I've accepted him and god's love too... So now I do identify as a Christian and the church I go to has accepted me into the family too .... The reckless love of God is well and truly over whelming!! ... I'm still learning and building a relationship with God

Hallelujah!

Once having repented (e.g. from idolatry), an adult convert is to get baptised to receive the Holy Spirit. He will guide you and comfort you.

"Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38) https://biblehub.com/acts/2-38.htm

Baptism is God's purification ritual, and it pleases him immensely (see Christ's baptism in Matthew 3). It dates back to when the Jews walked through the Red Sea with Moses, abandoning their old home in Egypt, to live in the desert alone with God, and serve him.

"Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." (1 Corinthians 10) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+10&version=KJV. -- I actually didn't realise this until re-reading Corinthians just now, but the very process described is the exact the same Last Supper / Passover i.e. 'Communion' (which you did recently) that Christ taught his disciples to do before his judgement and execution. The essence is the "spiritual meat and drink", being the body of Christ and remembrance of him (that he will return). The cloud part would seem to be why the Bible refers to us as a "great cloud of witnesses".

See the geographic, geological, and hieroglyphic evidence at Jabal al Lawz, the 'Real Mt Sinai', in Midian, Saudi Arabia. The evidence found is phenomenal and it matches the biblical account exactly... it also matches Jewish historian Josephus' accounts. It's extraordinary...

- Ron Wyatt, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI34BVEXhJc
- Bob Cornuke, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7NgmKl3Cq4 --- See 14:00 where they stand on the land bridge in the Red Sea.
- Discovery Media, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kuDnn7G87c
- Joel Richardson, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZYsJEI42uI
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18gvJwx8VyI --- See Biblical narrative, evidence from ancient Jewish historian Josephus, also pillars of King Solomon that mark the Red Sea crossing site.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgdUoNrwkxk --- See 3:50 for the "Split Rock" at Horeb with geological evidence of enormous water erosion, which is the "Spiritual Rock" a symbol for Christ and the everlasting life he offers. Hence we're told "the Kingdom of heaven is like wellspring of water from within you".
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-uiccIiSY --- See 20:45 for melted beach with rock fused with sand, geological evidence of God's presence in the 'pillar of fire'; the water is full of coral impregnated with human skeletons, horse remains like thick hooves, and chariot remains like wheels made of metal, some gold plated wheels. Solomon's pillars are also there (on both beaches), marking the crossing site.

See Ron Wyatt Archaeological Research for more photos and details. The museum has pieces on show for anyone interested. https://wyattmuseum.com/chariot-wheels-in-the-red-sea/2011-669

Many Judeo-Christians are ignorant of this but once you see it, it's easy to understand why Moses' wife (who hesitated to be with him - and actually left him once) once having miraculously crossed the Red Sea and watched God swallow up the entire Egyptian army, sang a song praising God. Till this day there are still the Egyptian chariot remains in that water basin.

Mica Moca: "Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders? Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them. ..." (Exodus 15:11-13) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+15%3A11-13&version=KJV

Mica Moca, acapella by 3B4JOY, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Y-J6Ea3TI
(edited 5 years ago)
Whilst I think converting to any religion is ones personal decision, I feel like your relationship with God should be explored first. Might I suggest you check out Basics of Sikhi YouTube channel? Converting to a religion should be done after research and shouldn’t really be based on a relationship alone? Just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending