The Student Room Group

Worryingly sensitive penis head (AFTER circumcision)

So I had ridiculously tight foreskin (I couldn't roll back at ALL - when soft or erect). So I decided the best option (after further research and talking to a few people) was to get circumcised.

My cicrumcision was five days ago. Since then, I haven't been able to walk properly because it stings every time the 'mushroom' part of my penis touches ANYTHING; so I definitely haven't been able to weaar boxers - even when wearing trousers, I've had to sort of pinch out an area near my crotch to prevent my penis from touching it.

I should probably add, one side of the head of the penis (the bottom) is more sensitive than the other - and I have a lot of stitches there and it does ocasionally bleed. I'm 18 years old btw. How - please tell me there's a way - do I reduce the sensitivity on the head of my penis?

I know it's only been 5 days - but the doctors told me the sensitivy and stinging sensation should stop after 2-3 days - it stings now just as much as it did on the day of the operation!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrProb
So I had ridiculously tight foreskin (I couldn't roll back at ALL - when soft or erect). So I decided the best option (after further research and talking to a few people) was to get circumcised.

My cicrumcision was five days ago. Since then, I haven't been able to walk properly because it stings every time the 'mushroom' part of my penis touches ANYTHING; so I definitely haven't been able to weaar boxers - even when wearing trousers, I've had to sort of pinch out an area near my crotch to prevent my penis from touching it.

I should probably add, one side of the head of the penis (the bottom) is more sensitive than the other - and I have a lot of stitches there and it does ocasionally bleed. I'm 18 years old btw. How - please tell me there's a way - do I reduce the sensitivity on the head of my penis?

I know it's only been 5 days - but the doctors told me the sensitivy and stinging sensation should stop after 2-3 days - it stings now just as much as it did on the day of the operation!

Painkillers.

Apart from that there is nothing you can do.
It's normal I had the same.

But feels good man when you're getting your ends away. Nom sayin?

Put vaseline on the head of ur soldier, too. It will lessen the friction and keep you moisturised
Hey don't worry it is common and it will get better.

Your glans (bell end) is going to be pretty sensitive for a while as up to now (well 5 days ago) it has been snugly wrapped up in a tight foreskin - probably more so than most guys who can skin back easily ( or else you would not have got circumcised).

It takes time to settle down and will lose a bit of sensitivity over the next days and weeks.

I found wearing tight briefs and wrapping it all up in a tissue or hanky worked for me - it stopped it bashing around which is what you get with boxers.

The underside is probably more sensitive as I am guessing they cut a bit of your frenum (banjo string) and it takes a while to heal.

Just stick with it - it will get better.

Once it is all healed up and has lost a bit of sensitivity you will enjoy it!
Reply 4
After a few years I am keen to know the outcome of this - I just had mine done 2 days ago and starting to worry about the hyper sensitivity. I can't go back to work any time soon!
Original post by MrProb

The foreskin has many physiological functions. One of those is protection of the head from friction and keeping it sensitive.

Now that your foreskin is gone, the head is exposed to your clothing, and that is painful. You are normal. Every one who opts for circumcision experiences this. It should be no surprise.

It takes about six weeks to recover from circumcision. The pain should go away gradually as the head loses its sensation due to keratinization.

It might have been better to try stretching your foreskin to make it retractable.
Reply 6
HYPERSENSITIVITY? Read this - I was circumcised as an adult, I had it done in January this year to cure me of stubborn Balanitis. After the surgery my glans was super sensitive too. Literally any slight contact from my clothing was very painful. Sleeping was a nightmare, taking a shower was difficult, even walking presented a problem. I didn't go to work for 3 weeks afterwards. At the time I thought I was going to be stuck like that forever. I'd be in my 60's and still struggling to pull my underwear up without wincing. Well now we're in September and I can honestly say I feel like my old self again. Its taken time, but the ridiculous sensitivity I used to suffer from has all but disappeared. I can walk, move, sleep, shower and f*ck like I did before the operation. If you are suffering with hypersensitivity after a circumcision know that it will reduce over time. To make day to day life more bearable in the meantime Google search "manhood". Its a foreskin substitute which I purchased and have worn for the last 8 months. It protects your glans while it heals and for me it got me back to normal life much quicker than patience alone. The manhood is not marketed for this purpose, but it worked really well in my circumstances. I went from thinking about my cock every minute of the day, back to being able to focus on work, study, life in general and forgetting I'd had a circ or was wearing an artificial foreskin - it is that good. I would really recommend you buy a couple of them if you're in the same boat I was in. I know how awful hypersensitivity can be, this product will make a big difference in your life while you heal naturally from the operation. And no, I don't work for them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Protecting your glands in the first several days is vital to healing your scar. However, I opted for the 'grin and bare' it approach thereafter. My scar healed in 3 weeks and the sensitivity was virtually gone by month 2. Over protecting your gland from friction by wrapping it up only delays the inevitable. The discomfort is awful and the way you'll walk is hilarious but pop some painkillers and deal with it.
This is normal. It takes weeks for the penis to fully heal after a circumcision.
Reply 9
Hello...Is really work for those suffering with hypersensitivity penis head? I have phimosis too... and going to surgery on next week...
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but yes, it will take a month or two to fully recover from this surgery. A lot of nerve endings will be getting stimulated in ways they're not used to...
I've had tight foreskin, that went from not being able to pull back when flaccid, to being able to comfortably pull back when half erect over the years, primarily through carefully stretching my foreskin during masturbation. It will be treated once and for all using flesh tunnel like devices that I'm having delivered over to my house. When the glans started exposing itself, it was painfully sensitive to the touch, and I couldn't initially clean my penis. Nowadays I can comfortably, but its still sensitive, which is important to retain for pleasuring sex. The pain and sensitivity comes from the fact that your penis has had no contact with anything apart from your foreskin, which is completely natural and can only be treated with painkillers. However, once the pain resides and your stitches are removed, your penis will be healthy and functioning comfortably. However, having no foreskin could eventually mean you lose normal sensitivity, but this can easily be prevented through moisturising and cleaning your penis with sensitive cleaning products, such as Cetaphil, in addition to preventing your glans from constantly rubbing surfaces hard, I've heard from circumcised friends that a baby wipe and a tissue behind it on your crotch may help with that.
Reply 12
Hello there, if the penis head is too sensitivity after circumcision and painful when touching anything, it take how long time to desensitize, in other words back to normal life? I have work and need to get back to work in asap...
Talk to your GP and/or surgeon.
Reply 14
I just had a circumcision done a 5 days ago. It is soo ****InG sensitive. Thanks for all advise you are giving here...it helps. I also couldn't move unless I was waking naked :smile:I have one trick/solution to share:I've figure it out that if you put lots of chloramphenicol1.0 or pure vaseline and use a baby whipes to wrap it around bell end and wear a tight underwear it helps but to be able to walk freely I'm wearing GROIN PROTECTOR with straps like a rugby protective pants. It keeps everything together..still believe that decision of freeing willy for the right one to do, although it flips your life upside down. Good luck lads
My son is fourteen. Surgeon told us a week downtime. It's been 3 days. Grade 9 starts tomorrow. First week is obviously a write off but is there anything he can do so he can attend gym class after next week???
Original post by luke9381
HYPERSENSITIVITY? Read this - I was circumcised as an adult, I had it done in January this year to cure me of stubborn Balanitis. After the surgery my glans was super sensitive too. Literally any slight contact from my clothing was very painful. Sleeping was a nightmare, taking a shower was difficult, even walking presented a problem. I didn't go to work for 3 weeks afterwards. At the time I thought I was going to be stuck like that forever. I'd be in my 60's and still struggling to pull my underwear up without wincing. Well now we're in September and I can honestly say I feel like my old self again. Its taken time, but the ridiculous sensitivity I used to suffer from has all but disappeared. I can walk, move, sleep, shower and f*ck like I did before the operation. If you are suffering with hypersensitivity after a circumcision know that it will reduce over time. To make day to day life more bearable in the meantime Google search "manhood". Its a foreskin substitute which I purchased and have worn for the last 8 months. It protects your glans while it heals and for me it got me back to normal life much quicker than patience alone. The manhood is not marketed for this purpose, but it worked really well in my circumstances. I went from thinking about my **** every minute of the day, back to being able to focus on work, study, life in general and forgetting I'd had a circ or was wearing an artificial foreskin - it is that good. I would really recommend you buy a couple of them if you're in the same boat I was in. I know how awful hypersensitivity can be, this product will make a big difference in your life while you heal naturally from the operation. And no, I don't work for them.

So even with the manhood on for 8 months, the sensitivity will still b gone 100% naturally?
Hello, I have previously suffered from phimosis but have been able to completed overcome it through stretching techniques. However when I attempt intercourse I am prevented by too much pain on the head of my penis. Is there any advise anyone could give on mitigating this?
Original post by Carlislecres3166
Hello, I have previously suffered from phimosis but have been able to completed overcome it through stretching techniques. However when I attempt intercourse I am prevented by too much pain on the head of my penis. Is there any advise anyone could give on mitigating this?

I had the same problem with phimosis, sex was very difficult without a condom and stretching didn’t do enough. I was recommended circumcision and went for it. The whole thing wasn’t as bad as I expected. The first week after the op is very sensitive and uncomfortable, I found wearing tight boxers with petroleum jell helped. After the second week I could go a whole day and not know anything was different. It does take a while with week or two of being uncomfortable and a month of letting it heal, I can now relax and know i don’t need to worry about tearing my foreskin.
Original post by MrProb
So I had ridiculously tight foreskin (I couldn't roll back at ALL - when soft or erect). So I decided the best option (after further research and talking to a few people) was to get circumcised. My cicrumcision was five days ago. Since then, I haven't been able to walk properly because it stings every time the 'mushroom' part of my penis touches ANYTHING; so I definitely haven't been able to weaar boxers - even when wearing trousers, I've had to sort of pinch out an area near my crotch to prevent my penis from touching it. I should probably add, one side of the head of the penis (the bottom) is more sensitive than the other - and I have a lot of stitches there and it does ocasionally bleed. I'm 18 years old btw. How - please tell me there's a way - do I reduce the sensitivity on the head of my penis?I know it's only been 5 days - but the doctors told me the sensitivy and stinging sensation should stop after 2-3 days - it stings now just as much as it did on the day of the operation!
Let me tell you, dude. Tight boxers/underwear is the best thing you could do. It keeps your penis supported and means that there are no materials rubbing against the head.I had my circumcision yesterday, it's been horrible so far... Everything is super sensitive and sore but the minute I put on tight underwear, you almost forget that it's there. There's some discomfort, of course (you've had surgery, it's never going to be nice) but it's easier to manage.

Latest