The Student Room Group

Please help! Withdrawn from uni but what about my maintenance loan?

I’ve decided to withdraw from uni (started three weeks ago) due to a combination of reasons, my anxiety, I’m due medical treatment in November and I couldn’t afford my childcare as we didn’t qualify for the grant. Anyway, I was given the higher amount of maintenance loan, I had spent 2/3 of that paying my £800 a month childcare, bills, etc. I have now withdrawn, I’m really anxious in regards to paying it back. Do they demand it in full? Would they accept a payment plan? I’m really worried where I stand with paying it back. Any advice is great, thanks
Original post by Meganj12
I’ve decided to withdraw from uni (started three weeks ago) due to a combination of reasons, my anxiety, I’m due medical treatment in November and I couldn’t afford my childcare as we didn’t qualify for the grant. Anyway, I was given the higher amount of maintenance loan, I had spent 2/3 of that paying my £800 a month childcare, bills, etc. I have now withdrawn, I’m really anxious in regards to paying it back. Do they demand it in full? Would they accept a payment plan? I’m really worried where I stand with paying it back. Any advice is great, thanks

They will expect payment back from the date you left. I had to take a year out for EPC and I had to pay back the childcare/ parent grant for the part of the year that I was not a student. If you can’t replay they will put you on a repayment plan and it will affect future funding if not repaid.
Original post by Meganj12

Try not to worry..

Go and see an SU adviser or ask the uni about fee liability, that is the time into the terms when you become liable for fees. Some unis its 1 week , 2 weeks and others a a month, so theres a chance you could avoid fees if you withdraw immediately. Most common is 14 days, but theres still a chance you could make the deadline. This is a priority as it could save you c £2,300.

As for maintenance SFE will ask for the part of the money back they gave you that they consider to be an overpayment.
Example if the loan was mean to cover 14 weeks and you have been a student for 3 weeks, then they will ask for the remaining amount to be returned immediately/ asap as they will regard that as an overpayment and money you cease to be entitled to as you are no longer a student.

Try not to worry as you can negotiate with sfe and agree a payment plan/ make them an offer. They cant get out if you money you no longer have or cant afford to repay.

They also have discretion to let you keep 60 days money due to compelling personal reasons i.e to help you transition back onto benefits.

In addition I would advise you go and see the doctor about your stress and other worries and that you get on your notes or agree with him about your anxiety and other medical issues being a cause for you leaving the course.

Do that also with your department. just get them to confirm plus put on your withdrawal form and also with student support services.

This is to protect yourself in future if you need to negotiate with SFE over funding that medical and financial reasons forced you to leave. Its important to have it on record just in case they ask you to prove it in future when you seek further funding. You will thank yourself for gathering that evidence now when and if you need to deal with SFE again for additional funding.

SFE are used to dealing with these situations so dont worry.

SFE may require an explanation of finances i.e incomings and outgoings to understand your situation and why you cant afford to repay etc and you cna get help with that from CAB or use step change.
https://www.stepchange.org/Debtremedy.aspx

Heres additional information on how they deal with overpayments.

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/overpayment/index.html
https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf
http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=25908

Talk to them.
Dont panic.
Get organised and read the above, but dont be overwhelmed.
Post back if you get stuck or theres anything you dont understand.
Its routine for SFE to deal with this sort of issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending