The Student Room Group

what is wrong with muslims?

i dont understand why all the Muslims have to get the blame for a certain persons actions.when a Muslim does a crime its a terrorist attack but if its anyone else it is mental health problems. i once heard a wise woman say you cant paint over everyone with the same brush.
Reply 1
and please can this not cause hate i just want to know your opinions
idk
I often refrain from asking questions like this, because it will empower some to present their own distorted caricatures of Islam. It provides platform and medium for them to respond with their rather misguided opinions, which they would like to pretend is balanced and objective.

Post made anonymously because i do not want notifications.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I often refrain from asking questions like this, because it will empower some to present their own distorted caricatures of Islam. It provides platform and medium for them to respond with their rather misguided opinions, which they would like to pretend is balanced and objective.

i understand you however this is a rising issue that i feel strongly about
A multicultural society isn't the same as a multiethnic society.

The issue is, a lot of the values held in Islam aren't really very compatable with western values, and vice versa. Promiscuoty, alcohol, casual sex, gender equality all of these things are seen as standard by western people.

Islam is against these things. And I can see why certain people living in Islamic countries are appalled by some aspects of our culture. But the issue begins when you have (I can try and find the video if you reallllllyyyyyy insist) Muslims who are trying to override the country and advocate things like Sharia law.

As an English athiest, this frightens me. I don't like those proposals. So that's why many have a geneal dislike to ISLAM (not all Muslims, not all brown people, not all foreigners).

Why are different assumptions made for Muslim terrorists than white terrorists, in my humble opinion?

Well, when a white person commits an act of terrorism, unless they themselves do have like some weird anarcho-revolutionary agenda, we don't assume that they're doing it to cause changes.

After all, terrorism is using acts of violence to spur change in society, right?

But when Muslims do it, they have the ideology behind them. The same ideology that lots of westerners feel threaten their way of living. It's more worrying when these terrorists do it "in the name of Islam" as there's lots of Muslims in our country. That's why Islamic terrorism seems much more threataning in my opinion, as these aren't one off events that aren't supported by members of the community (I mean, I guess some neo-Nazi folks may have celebrated when that guy ran into a bunch of Muslims outside a Mosque last year-ish).

Sure, there are neo-Nazis, but they're not as much as a threat. There's such a small number of them. But what if all the Muslims decided they wanted changes, they wanted Sharia, and they didn't care how they'd get it? It's scary sounding, right?

So what do I want to happen?

I'd just really love it if people from other cutures could actually integrate, and if they don't like our culture then they can leave. The west is a place where: women, LGBT people and non-Muslims are supposed to have liberty and freedom. 2 of the Muslim friends I work with are really amazing. They don't have a seething hatred for white people and western society; they get involved in Christmas decorating and all that fun stuff (and thus in turn we always celebrate their religious events, it's only fair after all), they don't hate gays or women. Yep, they're great.

But I can't say the same for the hordes of wannabe-revolutionists in London who are trying to "conquer" our land.

:3
Reply 6
Islam seems to be extremely destructive ideology.
Why does this thread really exist. You’re asking a group which is significantly less likely to present their unbiased opinions without having studied Islam not the bias of the media
Reply 8
The reason if someone else does it its because of "mental health problems" is because it is. Terrorism is defined as a violent act committed in the name of an extreme political or religous belief. Islamist terrorism fulfils both those categories. Some kid shooting up a Florida school IS mentally ill.

Also they are not liked because they can be very backward in their religous idelogies, they do not intergrate, and they dress differently.
Reply 9
I understand where you’re coming from but the strange looks we get and comments once in a while (and I’m talking as a hijabi in a white majority town in the UK) is NOTHING compared to what certain groups have to suffer under Islamic republics or Muslims majority countries like the (violent) persecution of Christians in Pakistan.

It’s all very well crying victim but we need to do more to reassess OUR actions on a global level :/ and yes, our as in the ummah meaning no one is exempt.

But something tells me certain people will completely disagree and continue playing the victim card
(edited 5 years ago)
Most people that hate Islam, do not hate Muslims. Please remember that
It is incredibly wrong for someone to attack an innocent Muslims (or anyone) simply for their (assumed) beliefs.
To keep it simple, you cannot have an advanced, tolerant and open society and Islam at the same time. These two way of life are as far apart as it gets.
Reply 12
Original post by me failing
i dont understand why all the Muslims have to get the blame for a certain persons actions.
This doesn't happen.
"Islam" will often be blamed for their actions, but not "all Muslims".

when a Muslim does a crime its a terrorist attack
There are many more Muslims in prison for ordinary crimes than there are for terrorism - so no, that doesn't happen.

but if its anyone else it is mental health problems.
There are plenty of non-Muslims in prison for terrorism, so again, that does not happen.

i once heard a wise woman say you cant paint over everyone with the same brush.
You can if you have enough paint and a really good brush, so she obviously wasn't that wise.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous

Surely, if people have distorted and misguided opinions of Islam, it is better to respond and correct than to simply ignore?
Reply 14
Original post by ikuyo
I understand where you’re coming from but the strange looks we get and comments once in a while (and I’m talking as a hijabi in a white majority town in the UK) is NOTHING compared to what certain groups have to suffer under Islamic republics or Muslims majority countries like the (violent) persecution of Christians in Pakistan.

It’s all very well crying victim but we need to do more to reassess OUR actions on a global level :/ and yes, our as in the ummah meaning no one is exempt.

But something tells me certain people will completely disagree and continue playing the victim card

Although I understand where you’re coming from, muslims are also suffering all over the world, at the hands of Buddhists, for example or western governments or even Islamic terrorists themselves. It’s not innocent Muslims (like yourself and others) that need to reassess others’ actions, why would you ? How are you planning on reassessing “your” actions ?
It's because they're a minority. Lots of people don't know any Muslims personally and at the minute it seems like all terrorist attacks are carried out by Muslims so you can see how people can be tempted to think that all Muslims are terrorists. Of course this is a fallacy, there have been terrorists of all faiths and beliefs in the past it's just that Muslim terrorists are more common now due to certain factors.
Reply 16
Perhaps Islam was not well known before the 00's

And when 9/11 happened, Islam immerged and was represented badly as terrorism and so it is now associated with that word often. So basically Islam had a bad first impression and cannot redeem itself.
Reply 17
Original post by Ewique

And when 9/11 happened, Islam immerged and was represented badly as terrorism and so it is now associated with that word often. So basically Islam had a bad first impression and cannot redeem itself.
This is partly true. I think many people in the west did not have any solid position on Islam. It was just seen as another religion - a kind of "eastern Christianity", somewhat mystical and exotic - but essentially an irrelevance.
9/11 and subsequent events brought Islam forcefully into the public eye and people naturally started to form opinions. Unfortunately, the variety of information on Islam varies widely in its reliability and accuracy - on all sides. There is only one, genuinely reliable source of information on Islam - the Quran, the sunnah (and possibly mainstream classical tafsir). Everything else is mere interpretation through the lens of partisan vested interest.
When viewed from this source, Islam does indeed make a bad impression from which there is no redemption as one of Islam's core tenets is that it is already perfect and cannot be changed, modified or adapted to a changing world in any way.
Original post by Ewique

In the UK? Yeah it was. In 1988 Salman Rushdie published the Satanic Verses. Conservative Muslims had an all mighty hissy fit and started burning his books in the street. They also tried to kill him and those involved in publishing the book.

It gave the UK a crash course in how intolerant some Muslims can be.
Reply 19
Original post by me failing
i dont understand why all the Muslims have to get the blame for a certain persons actions.when a Muslim does a crime its a terrorist attack but if its anyone else it is mental health problems. i once heard a wise woman say you cant paint over everyone with the same brush.

regarding innocent muslims getting a lot of hate:

It's because "not all muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are muslim"

at least that's the way it's portyaed in the media.
9 times out of 10 when you hear about terrorist activity it's a muslim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending