The Student Room Group

A Level Tips

I'm struggling with A-level history. I got an A at GCSE but I'm finding it hard to adjust to writing big 30 marks essays in limited time. I can't seem to structure my answers well enough or keep up with the heavy amount of content. Any tips?
Original post by BetaMale101
I'm struggling with A-level history. I got an A at GCSE but I'm finding it hard to adjust to writing big 30 marks essays in limited time. I can't seem to structure my answers well enough or keep up with the heavy amount of content. Any tips?

Think this is perhaps the 1 skill for History.

Look at exam papers and mark schemes.
Practice essay planning.

I used to do 5,10,15 min ones. more you practice the better you get.

Look at specification, mark schemes and examiner reports after you have had a try. You can id where the missing marks were.

History essays in A level are less about dates and events, but more how you id the issues, master the evidence and argument, the evaluate.

You might find bullet pointing helps so you can ensure you get your major points in.

You will only have 40 minutes, so you have to get as much in during that time like everyone else.

Enough practice and you will get there. Sorry for the chaotic order.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ow+to+write+a+level+history+essays&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

There will also be books on Amazon for essay writing if you need one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending