The Student Room Group

Suspended my studies until the next year but now wanting to transfer.

Hello,

I began my first-year undergraduate degree n Biology at the beginning of October this year, however, due to mental health reasons I was unable to continue, so I and the DoS (director of studies) came to an agreement that I suspend studies, work on my mental health and return in 2019.

The issue is, that I am having second thoughts about returning, and this is probably due to having more time to think during the suspension so far.

When I was applying through UCAS earlier this year. I had also applied for English and History at Bristol University to which I received an offer, however, in the end, I accepted the offer of studying Biology at a different university. It was a very difficult decision to make.

So here I am, wanting to study something entirely different to what I chose, but what I have always found interesting.

To add, I was only a month into my Biology degree before I decided to suspend my studies for a year and just wondering if there is still time to call up Bristol university and see if they have any spaces or willing to take on transfers. Or whether it'd be best to reapply in Sept 2019.

Any useful advice that would be beneficial in helping me make a decision would be appreciated. Whether there is a way to transfer (if I decide to), and how soon I should get the ball rolling? What would happen in regards to the student finance? Would I get a gift year?

Just need all the information I can get, thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by loonarider
Hello,

I began my first-year undergraduate degree n Biology at the beginning of October this year, however, due to mental health reasons I was unable to continue, so I and the DoS (director of studies) came to an agreement that I suspend studies, work on my mental health and return in 2019.

The issue is, that I am having second thoughts about returning, and this is probably due to having more time to think during the suspension so far.

When I was applying through UCAS earlier this year. I had also applied for English and History at Bristol University to which I received an offer, however, in the end, I accepted the offer of studying Biology at a different university. It was a very difficult decision to make.

So here I am, wanting to study something entirely different to what I chose, but what I have always found interesting.

To add, I was only a month into my Biology degree before I decided to suspend my studies for a year and just wondering if there is still time to call up Bristol university and see if they have any spaces or willing to take on transfers. Or whether it'd be best to reapply in Sept 2019.

Any useful advice that would be beneficial in helping me make a decision would be appreciated. Whether there is a way to transfer (if I decide to), and how soon I should get the ball rolling? What would happen in regards to the student finance? Would I get a gift year?

Just need all the information I can get, thank you.

Get your MH sorted. Priority.

Do your research and make sure:

You can cope.
The uni is the place for you.
The subject is the place for you.

If you dont you could find yourself in the same position and running out of finance.

Theres enough time to apply to 2019 as the deadline isnt till January.

What happens to student finance? The gift year would be applied, although you have a very good chance of recovering that through a Compelling personal reasons claim if it came to that. Oy helps if you have saved any documents , Drs letters etc relating to the fact you left through MH issues.

If you arent sorted out in 2019 MH wise just decline and reapply or defer 2020. I expect your current uni realises theres a high chance you wont return.

PS dont bounce from uni to uni as some people do on TSR having failed to sort out MH, being unhappy and having wasted all their finance.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Get your MH sorted. Priority.

Do your research and make sure:

You can cope.
The uni is the place for you.
The subject is the place for you.

If you dont you could find yourself in the same position and running out of finance.

Theres enough time to apply to 2019 as the deadline isnt till January.

What happens to student finance? The gift year would be applied, although you have a very good chance of recovering that through a Compelling personal reasons claim if it came to that. Oy helps if you have saved any documents , Drs letters etc relating to the fact you left through MH issues.

If you arent sorted out in 2019 MH wise just decline and reapply or defer 2020. I expect your current uni realises theres a high chance you wont return.

PS dont bounce from uni to uni as some people do on TSR having failed to sort out MH, being unhappy and having wasted all their finance.

Thank you so much for your response, very helpful, but what it is MH? Thanks again :smile:
Original post by loonarider
Thank you so much for your response, very helpful, but what it is MH? Thanks again :smile:

Mental health.
Reply 4
Thanks, of course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending