The Student Room Group

Why is Open University looked down upon?

When I go to school and talk about universities with my friends they always seem to joke about studying at Open University and talk about it as if it is some sort of meme. I also heard some people qualified to do PhDs and Master at top universities after studying at the Open University so it really doesn't very bad. Why is Open University looked down upon?
Original post by Lucasash9
Why is Open University looked down upon?

It's not, really, is the short answer.
People just hear rumours about Open university, people think because it is online and cheap(tuition fees) it is crap and they do not really know about it! My friend wants to apply there for her undergraduate degree so go for it, if you are interested.:h:
The only negative thing i hear about it is how easy it is to fall behind and drop out
The OU wasn't set up for 18 year olds, it was set up for people who couldn't attend full time at a brick uni - usually cos they were adults with full time jobs.

tbh I think it's a bit odd that so many 6th form leavers seem to be thinking about it - maybe if you've got serious, untreatable social anxiety or something (and good luck getting a job if you literally can't handle the social interaction at a conventional uni)
Original post by Joinedup
The OU wasn't set up for 18 year olds, it was set up for people who couldn't attend full time at a brick uni - usually cos they were adults with full time jobs.

tbh I think it's a bit odd that so many 6th form leavers seem to be thinking about it - maybe if you've got serious, untreatable social anxiety or something (and good luck getting a job if you literally can't handle the social interaction at a conventional uni)

I was thinking about OU because I was looking at doing Physics, Engineering and Maths but that isn't an existing degree at uni. So if I applied for the three courses at OU I would be able to get the triple degree I wanted.
Original post by Lucasash9
I was thinking about OU because I was looking at doing Physics, Engineering and Maths but that isn't an existing degree at uni. So if I applied for the three courses at OU I would be able to get the triple degree I wanted.

You get maths and physics degrees, you get engineering physics degrees (okay, I am only aware of Loughborough offering this), and you get engineering maths degree (okay, I am only aware of Bristol offering this).

Why do you want to do a degree in all three of those subjects? If you like maths and equations then maths and/or physics degrees will have plenty of that - no need to add on engineering unless you want to become an engineer. And if you do want to become an engineer, it's probably more advisable to study an engineering degree.
It's not looked down upon afaik. Maybe some people are ignorant about what degrees are and how accreditation works.

OU isn't comparable to a full time university that you attend. If you are looking for one you wouldn't want the other.
its just people being snobby. Just like with russel group, oxford/cambridge, ex-polys etc.

People will always find something to be snobby about - its part of our culture somewhat to be a snobby country.

--

In reality though OU is a great tool for those its designed for. Its not really for 18 year olds in general, but more for older professionals and individuals who want to study but can't attend full-time universities or can't go in person to lectures and the like.

My mother studied her undergraduate degree and masters with OU.. she was a childminder when I was a baby, but wanted to earn more for her family, so she studied her degree part time with OU whilst still working full time as a childminder and raising me and my sister. She started working for colleges after, and did her masters with OU a few years later. 20 years later she has another masters, has been the deputy head of major colleges, and now manages a department in a university while she waits to retire. None of which would have been possible without the OU.

The only slightly problem for the OU these days, is unlike 20 years ago, is that now a lot of main-stream universities that also offer distance learning. They are a bit hit-miss though with how much support and how organised they are. But the bennifit is that you know you are getting the exact same course as people there in person.. your just far away. This is the route I chose - I work full time running my business, but I am also studying my masters via. distance learning.
Anyone can do a course there. There is 0 prestige and 0 selectivity.

"I went to Cambridge" or "I went to a RG university" = oh, they've worked hard and achieved well, and secured a place at a great institution!

"I did the Open University" = hm, doesn't really mean much other than they did some work, who knows whether they put effort or achieved well.
Original post by DarthRoar
Anyone can do a course there. There is 0 prestige and 0 selectivity.

"I went to Cambridge" or "I went to a RG university" = oh, they've worked hard and achieved well, and secured a place at a great institution!

"I did the Open University" = hm, doesn't really mean much other than they did some work, who knows whether they put effort or achieved well.

But their degree classification will tell you how well they did 😁
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by foofoochate
But their degree classification will tell you how well they did:-*(^^)

Sure, but we all know that someone with a first from the open university is leagues behind someone with a first from Cambridge.
Sure, but we all know that someone with a first from the open university is leagues behind someone with a first from Cambridge.

Behind in what sense?
I personally do not know that. Not denying, but how would I know? How do you know?
I think you need to pull your elitist stick out your butt. Professionals have a full time job whilst studying part time at OU where as statistically only the upper class and more wealthy students are able to attend Cambridge. Recent figures show that 80% of Cambridge University offers were to those of a richer stature. Consider all the variables before making an argument - signed off as an OU student (I hope I have enlightened you)
I would like to know how you've come to the conclusion of this? OU marks much more harshly than brick unis, and you need higher grades in OU to achieve a first you have to score above 85% in your assignments with OU for a 1st, Im currently studying with them but hoping to go to a brick uni next year, not because i dislike the OU, but because I want to be able to complete my degree quicker and found that universities accept OU credits in lieu of A levels. but yeah, as a current OU student i can tell you its not easy work and you don't get marked as if youre in nursery school, our tutors also teach at brick unis and many say that OU is no different in the professional world to brick unis. I know people who have studied law at brick unis and gotten nowhere, i know people who are now successful solicitors and people getting ready to begin a pupilage to become barristers from the OU.
Original post by username4337698
When I go to school and talk about universities with my friends they always seem to joke about studying at Open University and talk about it as if it is some sort of meme. I also heard some people qualified to do PhDs and Master at top universities after studying at the Open University so it really doesn't very bad. Why is Open University looked down upon?

There's your problem :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending