The Student Room Group

Do you have a role model?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gjd800
I know you didn't ask me, but I kinda want to answer this.

I idolise nobody, and that's what it amounts to for me.

I idolise many people and therein is my downfall because it gives them plenty of chance to hurt me because I feel inferior and like I deserve no better :moon: classic borderline I suppose.
Reply 21
Never had one, or felt like I had one, even as a small child.

I've admired the abilities or actions of other people, but never thought to myself 'I want to be like that person, so I'll make more effort to behave or act like them'.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Sure!

I like Buddha because I love how compassionate and peaceful he is. His philosophies really help me in life too. He inspires me to love all living beings, treat everyone with respect and just be a good person. Soz if that's cringe lol, but it's true.

He playes video games. The reason I like him is cos he's not egotistical and is a really compassionate person. As big as he is, he doesn't flaunt his success and remains humble, treating all his subscribers with respect. I should have mentioned, Syndicate is another Youtuber who I see as a role model. Reason being he inspires me to travel and make the most of life

Who doesn't :tongue: I can relate to them cos they've been through so much yet remain good people. Having read comics since I was around 6, they helped me get through some difficult times and still do to this day. I love everything they stand for, especially Cap.

Another youtuber to check out :smile: Compassion is a word that comes up a lot and being humble is something I admire too.

Powerful story-telling helps us find our resilience eh :h:

Original post by gjd800
I know you didn't ask me, but I kinda want to answer this.

It's not that there are not people I respect or admire, it is more that I am very, very careful about reifying them as something they are not. In other words, I am careful not to put people on pedestals, which is something that the Buddha was big on warning against (and is also why I think 90% of Buddhists 'do' Buddhism wrong).

I respect lots of people for lots of reasons, but none of them are perfect and I do not want to base my life on theirs. I idolise nobody, and that's what it amounts to for me.

Answer away :smile:

I agree with you about pedestals. I guess I did that with Lance Armstrong and look what happened there :colonhash:

I think a role model for me is someone that models honours their gifts and owns their flaws. They're a person at the end of the day. And so are we. It's not about becoming them but perhaps using them as a way to understand ourselves a little deeper and make the most of who we are?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Neilos
Never had one, or felt like I had one, even as a small child.

I've admired the abilities or actions of other people, but never thought to myself 'I want to be like that person, so I'll make more effort to behave or act like them'.

Do you think some people copycat their role models then? That's a really interesting point.
Original post by CoolCavy
Being 100% genuine you are my role model she rah, you are so kind and patient and wise. I admire how you have navigated through life for so long and you are just a very pure individual :hugs:

:hugs:

You inspire me too.

Our stories, our breakthroughs, our journey is what makes us who we are - if we gift our stories, we help others take their brave steps. We're all human.
For me I think I am the greatest role model, please don't call me arrogant but I am a winner and a champion, I think I am the special one.
Original post by Rock Fan
For me I think I am the greatest role model, please don't call me arrogant but I am a winner and a champion, I think I am the special one.

As in, you are a role model for yourself? :smile: Tell me more.
Original post by She-Ra
Right, now I need to follow her on Insta too. I wish we had a British version of PSA :frown:

I agree, I think mine change based on where I'm at in life, as we go through phases, different things resonate. I also love Brene Brown, her talk on vulnerability and shame is incredible and I also love all her books.

Her instagram stories are amazing! She used it to document "Congress camp" (the induction/orientation for a new congressperson). It was so interesting to see how the transition to a new government works behind the scenes.
Original post by She-Ra
As in, you are a role model for yourself? :smile: Tell me more.

Of course I am the role model everyone should look too :colone: :ninja:
Of course I am the role model everyone should look too :colone: :ninja:

What are the qualities that you embody and role model? :moon:
Muhammad Ali
Original post by She-Ra
What are the qualities that you embody and role model? :moon:

Being a nutter that doesn't believe in growing up :teeth: on a serious note my idols are, Jon Bon Jovi, Brian Little and Anastacia (the singer in case anyone gets confused)
Reply 33
Not too sure ... I would say I am my own role model but obviously, not everyone is perfect.

I do quite admire politicians (sorry... reference because of my interest in politics) like Keir Starmer and Yvette Cooper who are straight talking MPs who work hard for their constituents and have been doing a great job grilling May's government regarding Brexit than Jeremy Corbyn is. I also admire the likes of Kenneth Clarke, Dominic Grieve, Justine Greening and Anna Soubry who all speak eloquently frequently about the implications of Brexit and are really holding May's government into account. In terms of just a general person, I admire, I think I quite admire studytubers like PaigeY, Jack Edwards and Unjaded Jade who are relatable to fellow students like me and I like how they organise their studies/are an outgoing person.
No. I agree with some people some of the time, but I don't follow anyone unquestioningly.
prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
Reply 36

Steady on, Jose!
Original post by gjd800
Steady on, Jose!

mourinho.jpg
Reply 38
I have a few but one person that I've recently become aware of and admire is Temple Grandin - I would call her a role model. She has achieved so much in her life while having to conquer so many obstacles. I highly recommend the film about her life.
(edited 5 years ago)
I've got an edgy one,
Night Train Lane, the revolutionary cornerback for the Detroit Lions and LA Rams between 1952 and 1965.
Legendary man, pretty much invented the modern game, and came from nowhere

Quick Reply

Latest