The Student Room Group

Getting back into Physics

So I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A - Level. I will be studying maths at university. I wasn't really too interested in Physics/science in school so I didn't do too well (D). Recently I've taken a slight interest in Physics or at least the mechanics side of it from maths but I want to just have a bit more knowledge in Physics. Would it worth me picking up the GCSE and maybe A - Level while I study maths at uni?

I'm not sure what I'll do after uni yet but my plan at the moment is to do a PHD in maths and I'm not sure if the physics knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks,
xAikx.
Reply 1
Original post by xAikx
So I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A - Level. I will be studying maths at university. I wasn't really too interested in Physics/science in school so I didn't do too well (D). Recently I've taken a slight interest in Physics or at least the mechanics side of it from maths but I want to just have a bit more knowledge in Physics. Would it worth me picking up the GCSE and maybe A - Level while I study maths at uni?

I'm not sure what I'll do after uni yet but my plan at the moment is to do a PHD in maths and I'm not sure if the physics knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks,
xAikx.

I'm sure that you're well aware that you only need 3 A-Levels for university. I would discuss with your subject teacher about whether you should carry on doing A-Level physics or drop it. If you end up dropping it, I don't think you'll be too disadvantaged if you chose a physics-based maths module at university. Either way, do speak to your subject teacher first. :smile:
Reply 2
I don't study physics at A - level, I got a D in science GCSE but I'm taking a slight interest in physics now
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I'm sure that you're well aware that you only need 3 A-Levels for university. I would discuss with your subject teacher about whether you should carry on doing A-Level physics or drop it. If you end up dropping it, I don't think you'll be too disadvantaged if you chose a physics-based maths module at university. Either way, do speak to your subject teacher first. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xAikx
I don't study physics at A - level, I got a D in science GCSE but I'm taking a slight interest in physics now

Sorry, I misread. :colondollar: You could resit GCSE science if you really wanted to but you'll have to do the new 9-1 specification. :smile:
There will be substantial opportunities at university to choose modules of your interests. Also, an oft forgotten fact is that UK degrees have credits of electives 'built in' to degrees, you can do some random module on something totally different if you fancy - hardly anyone does. I did a maths degree, but did quite a few modules on mathematical physics/theoretical physics. Other universities have some things like financial mathematics as options, biological mathematics, fluid dynamics and many others. Some would regard fluid dynamics as a maths topic, some physics and some people would say what on earth are you guys on about - engineering!

If you want to pick up an A-level physics book and go through it yourself great, do it, love the enthusiasm. There are many popular science books that broaden horizons that may be more fun to read. With the greatest respect to all of your current achievements once you get to uni, no one such as future lecturers cares the slightest about A-levels for most things. Got a maths degree? Luvly jubly, want to pay my university loads of money to study a master's in a slightly different subject, walk this way... This is because the master's system has got so overexpanded the last five years. The question is do you want to? Is it 'worth' it? etc

If you have a degree in maths it's perfectly possible to do a master's or PhD in something 'different'. I use different in quotation marks because it isn't really different. I am on my third degree at third different institutions and third 'different' subject. It's a topic which I don't feel universities help themselves at when advertising PhDs or master's courses because of the 'name-ology' problem we have in the UK of rigidly defining what a degree is with airy fairy wave arms ideas about what a media studies or maths degree is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending