The Student Room Group

Student Finance 19/20 Guide [APPLICATIONS OPEN TODAY]

Hi everyone

Applications for 2019/20 are now open from 25th February 2019 for SFE and EU Full time students. I would recommend applying as soon as possible.

Below is a guide with all information below taken from the SLC Practitioners website, which will help you apply for your student finance this year.

Biggest change in 19/20
- Childcare students no longer need to complete CCG1 / CCG2 forms. The childcare is now paid directly to the childcare provider. You can apply for the childcare grant when you make your application online and you will be asked for the required evidence

Student Finance England You can apply from Monday 25th February 2019

Eligibility

How to apply for 2019/20

What loans are available if you are eligible

Tuition fees

Maintenance loan

Grants for dependents

FAQ
Common questions will be posted and updated here

I am in my final year of study, why has my maintenance loan dropped
Students in their final year will get less Maintenance Loan than previous years. This is because, during study, student finance covers the break between academic years. Students are no longer entitled to financial support once their course has ended.

How much finance will I get
Here are the amounts for 19/20 taken directly from the regulations
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you have any questions about 19/20 funding, please post below.

I will continue to update this thread
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Great thread! :yay:
Does anyone have an estimate of the amount I will get?Both years I have been entitled to the maximum maintenance loan, however, I am entering in my third year. I wanted to know how much my loan is likely to drop by.
Original post by izthermermaid
Does anyone have an estimate of the amount I will get?Both years I have been entitled to the maximum maintenance loan, however, I am entering in my third year. I wanted to know how much my loan is likely to drop by.

Hi

If it's now your final year it will drop.

You can view the amounts here https://imgur.com/a/BjgMJTh
Original post by murpo
Hi

If it's now your final year it will drop.

You can view the amounts here https://imgur.com/a/BjgMJTh

Are these the official amounts for this year [19/20]?

Yes taken from the official regulations here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1679/student-finance-memorandum-for-the-2019-20-academic-yearpdf.pdf
Original post by izthermermaid
Are these the official amounts for this year [19/20]?

Yes taken from the official regulations here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1679/student-finance-memorandum-for-the-2019-20-academic-yearpdf.pdf

So how does it work if I’m doing a foundation degree then a BA top up degree ? Do I get reduced finance on year 2 of foundation degree and then again on the top up ? Will be going from top up to PGCE
Original post by MrsWright15
So how does it work if I’m doing a foundation degree then a BA top up degree ? Do I get reduced finance on year 2 of foundation degree and then again on the top up ? Will be going from top up to PGCE

Yes unfortunately. Because you are eligible to claim benefits in the summer after your foundation degree and the summer after your top up year then SFE take the amount of loan that is there for the summer holidays off your final year both times.
Hi I think the answer is no but I will double check.
I did a degree back in the 1990s (finished it with a 2.1). No grant for me as parents earned too much. I am now applying for a 2 year law degree (still undergraduate). I assume I get no loan to cover fees or maintenance? I have no dependents and working full time right now on decent salary. Live with partner who is an it contractor who is currently between roles. So during my course it’s possible his income will be nil. Not sure how income is assessed for contractors -company results or his tax return.
Should I just do the forms anyway and see? I have the savings to pay anyway but better to take a loan if I can.
Original post by Catherine1973
Hi I think the answer is no but I will double check.
I did a degree back in the 1990s (finished it with a 2.1). No grant for me as parents earned too much. I am now applying for a 2 year law degree (still undergraduate). I assume I get no loan to cover fees or maintenance? I have no dependents and working full time right now on decent salary. Live with partner who is an it contractor who is currently between roles. So during my course it’s possible his income will be nil. Not sure how income is assessed for contractors -company results or his tax return.
Should I just do the forms anyway and see? I have the savings to pay anyway but better to take a loan if I can.

There’s no funding for degrees that are equivalent to a level you already hold (except for in a handful of exempt subjects - law isn’t one).

If you already have a degree then it’s usually cheaper/quicker to study a law conversion (GDL usually or sometimes they’re called CPE). There’s still no funding but it’s only one year not two and often the fees are less than £9k.
I am a non EU spouse of an EU migrant worker. Will I be able to apply for funding? And can my husband be able to meet the 3 year residency rule on my behalf, according to "Special Provision for people studying on courses which started on or after 1 September 2011".
I am not a British passport holder but I did acquire my biometric residence permit card on a leave to remain basis around 6 months ago. I have lived in the UK continuously for the past 10 years (half of my lifetime), would I qualify for the tuition loan as a home student?
Reply 13
I’ve submitted for 2019/20 and included 17/18 income as requested.
What do I do if 19/20 income is higher. I don’t know for sure yet but I think there’s a high possibility it could be higher
Original post by KSLJKB
I’ve submitted for 2019/20 and included 17/18 income as requested.
What do I do if 19/20 income is higher. I don’t know for sure yet but I think there’s a high possibility it could be higher

You don’t have to do anything.
Reply 15
Okay thanks for reply
. I wasn’t sure if there would a process to pay anything back.
Original post by PQ
You don’t have to do anything.
Original post by KSLJKB
Okay thanks for reply
. I wasn’t sure if there would a process to pay anything back.

Nope. If you’re still in university in 2021/22 then that will be based on your 2019/20 household income.
Reply 17
Hi, When will the applications be open for the Mater's courses ? I can only see that you can apply for 2018-2019 courses but not for 2019-2020. Any information would be great
My legal surname is now different to what is on my passport as I haven't updated my passport yet. But i'm not sure what name I should put on my student finance application. Should I put my legal new name and then when it inevitably flags my application up as my name is different on my passport, I can just provide them with proof of name change? Thanks in advance!
This is the same situation i am in. Put your new legal name on the application. They will contact you to tell you it is different and ask for evidence of name change. I sent in my Deed Poll certificate and everything is fine. :smile: It would be great to hear back from you on how it went so that we can compare situations and give advice.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by cscottlees
My legal surname is now different to what is on my passport as I haven't updated my passport yet. But i'm not sure what name I should put on my student finance application. Should I put my legal new name and then when it inevitably flags my application up as my name is different on my passport, I can just provide them with proof of name change? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending