The Student Room Group

Raf fitness

My fitness test is coming up again in June, I failed all 3 attempts 6 months ago and am due my next round of attempts. I am 100% determined just I fatigue way too early after the press ups so keep failing on sit ups, I failed my second go by 5, and third by 3 so I am really close... anyone got any tips?
Original post by Chloechloe09
My fitness test is coming up again in June, I failed all 3 attempts 6 months ago and am due my next round of attempts. I am 100% determined just I fatigue way too early after the press ups so keep failing on sit ups, I failed my second go by 5, and third by 3 so I am really close... anyone got any tips?

Although I've never tried signing up for the RAF, I can relate to the feeling of fatiguing easily, when I tried joining a football team last year, in the training we were expected to do 10 shuttle runs and I could only do two without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack and then I was told I could come to training as often as I wanted but I'd very unlikely to make it into the team. :getmecoat:

There were people in that team who looked way too out of shape compared to myself, yet during the shuttle runs could seemingly could bounce effortlessly end to end during each run.
Reply 2
What are you currently achieving? The RAF fitness training programme is 12 weeks, so by this stage you should be comfortable with the test standards. If you're eating, hydrating and training properly it shouldn't be a problem; is one of these factors affecting your performance in the test?

Maybe trying counting back from the date of your test to whatever week you would be in for the fitness programme and see how you currently match up, then complete the programme. Also check that you are following the proper technique for press-ups and sit-ups. Practice, practice, practice!
Reply 3
Hi there,

I passed my fitness test on my first attempt a few days ago.

I recommend using the 12 week Pre-Recruit RAF Fitness Programme. This will put you in good stead of the level of fitness the RAF are looking for and help you achieve success in your fitness test. Make sure your following every part of the programme from the recommended dietary requirements and daily fitness plan, if you do this you’ll smash it!

Hope this helps and good luck!

What training are you doing?
Original post by Unexpectedly
Although I've never tried signing up for the RAF, I can relate to the feeling of fatiguing easily, when I tried joining a football team last year, in the training we were expected to do 10 shuttle runs and I could only do two without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack and then I was told I could come to training as often as I wanted but I'd very unlikely to make it into the team. :getmecoat:

There were people in that team who looked way too out of shape compared to myself, yet during the shuttle runs could seemingly could bounce effortlessly end to end during each run.

I get exactly what you mean! It's so relatable fatiguing though!
I have been following the guide, but I also have Personal Training sessions once/twice a week to help since I failed my second attempt. I'm currently doing the run in 10.36 at the treadmill in my PTs gym, but the gym I regularly go to has a different treadmill which I don't seem to get along with. So I am going to go to the fitness test gym to practice. I've been given an array of exercises to do by my PT but like what has been said in previous replies, I may follow the guide more closely.
Original post by AlphaTango
What training are you doing?
I am going to take a look at that guide more closely, thank you! I've only failed by 3 sit ups as I can complete 29 in a minute, just always ruin it by not catching the last 3.
Original post by RedImp98
Hi there,

I passed my fitness test on my first attempt a few days ago.

I recommend using the 12 week Pre-Recruit RAF Fitness Programme. This will put you in good stead of the level of fitness the RAF are looking for and help you achieve success in your fitness test. Make sure your following every part of the programme from the recommended dietary requirements and daily fitness plan, if you do this you’ll smash it!

Hope this helps and good luck!
I have been following the guide, but I also have Personal Training sessions once/twice a week to help since I failed my second attempt. I'm currently doing the run in 10.36 at the treadmill in my PTs gym, but the gym I regularly go to has a different treadmill which I don't seem to get along with. So I am going to go to the fitness test gym to practice. I've been given an array of exercises to do by my PT but like what has been said in previous replies, I may follow the guide more closely.

If the run isn’t your issue then getting good push-up / sit up scores is a pure matter of volume and persistence. Before I joined I used to run 1.5 miles, max minute push-ups & sit-ups every morning before work.

On days off I would be doing chest strength work in the gym and core exercises. (As well as interval training for my run time).

If you commit everyday to improving on those three elements and you work on your mental strength to not give up when it hurts (which you can improve by training hard frequently and pushing a very small amount further each session). Then there is no reason you can’t pass!
Reply 9
I am going to take a look at that guide more closely, thank you! I've only failed by 3 sit ups as I can complete 29 in a minute, just always ruin it by not catching the last 3.

Stop seeing purely how many your can do in a minute; start going for endurance. Go slow, but do as many as you possibly can before you can't move.

You need to build the endurance and strength up.

You’ll be fine just keep practicing! Also make sure your practicing your sit up and press up tests a few minutes after your 2.4k run!
I saw you told someone you can do the run in 10.36, since you can do it in a fairly quick time, maybe set the treadmill so you will achieve just under the time you need, and then you might have more energy for the other two components. For example I had to do the run in under 13.25, but could actually do it in 10.10 if I pushed myself, but instead on the test day I set the treadmill so I would finish in 12.30, purely so it was an easier run for me and then I had plenty of energy for the other two components, as the push ups was a struggle for me. Maybe consider this? Good luck, seems like you've put in so much work so just push yourself as hard as possible on the day!
Thank you, in the test I have only ever done it in 13.13 I've just got quicker while practising at the gym. But yes I get what you're saying if I make everything equal I should in reality pass in June! I want it so bad, but every time I seem to fail by the tiniest part! :frown:
Thank you, in the test I have only ever done it in 13.13 I've just got quicker while practising at the gym. But yes I get what you're saying if I make everything equal I should in reality pass in June! I want it so bad, but every time I seem to fail by the tiniest part! :frown:

I have never done the test or ever wanted to and am now too old, but just a point about treadmills. They are so unlike the real world - I used to do treadmill running in preparation for a half marathon - thought I was really good. Once I got onto the road though, different matter - road surface different and I swear they alter the speed on them to make you look as if you are going faster.
Reply 14

You've got a Personal Trainer. What are they advising?

Quick Reply

Latest