The Student Room Group

Best University City or City in General?

Hey,
I'm from the United States, and I don't have much of an opportunity to visit different school prospects multiple times, but I've narrowed my top two to MMU and NTU, but I'm also considering Leeds and Brighton. I don't really care too much of the prestige, location and environment are more important for me. If anyone has any opinions on which is the best city out of these, or in general in their opinion, in terms of nightlife (not just parties) and culture, it would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desdenwilson
Hey,
I'm from the United States, and I don't have much of an opportunity to visit different school prospects multiple times, but I've narrowed my top two to MMU and NTU, but I'm also considering Leeds and Brighton. I don't really care too much of the prestige, location and environment are more important for me. If anyone has any opinions on which is the best city out of these, or in general in their opinion, in terms of nightlife (not just parties) and culture, it would be much appreciated.

I know you said prestige doesn't matter much but if you are paying all that money you ought to get a top notch university (thinking mmu and ntu specifically here)

I am just a parent here. My son went to and still lives in Nottingam. Nottingham has a good social live but there is a divide between posh Nottingham university and ntu. Snobbery is you like.

None of your cities would be top of my list for culture. If you want social life I think any city that has a couple of universities will be very vibrant. And they all have that. I heard that Leeds is good for students. Brighton has a huge gay population and is quite different to other places. I like it very much . You really ought to visit to get a feel. For me it would be Brighton because the weather is better, the train is a quick hour to London and you are close to two of the biggest airports for international travel. Also close to the rest of Europe.
Hi @desdenwilson

Brighton definitely has a lot to offer in regards to location and environment! I'd recommend checking out this post for for helpful info about Brighton life. :biggrin:

Good luck with your decisions!

Danielle (Brighton Uni Rep) :nyan:
Hey,
Thanks for the reply,
For the schools that are in-state for me, they are considerably more expensive than most UK universities, other than those in London, and with most logical courses, it is really what you make of it yourself. What cities would top your list for culture. And I’m planning on visiting this summer hopefully.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I know you said prestige doesn't matter much but if you are paying all that money you ought to get a top notch university (thinking mmu and ntu specifically here)

I am just a parent here. My son went to and still lives in Nottingam. Nottingham has a good social live but there is a divide between posh Nottingham university and ntu. Snobbery is you like.

None of your cities would be top of my list for culture. If you want social life I think any city that has a couple of universities will be very vibrant. And they all have that. I heard that Leeds is good for students. Brighton has a huge gay population and is quite different to other places. I like it very much . You really ought to visit to get a feel. For me it would be Brighton because the weather is better, the train is a quick hour to London and you are close to two of the biggest airports for international travel. Also close to the rest of Europe.
Thanks for the reply,
For the schools that are in-state for me, they are considerably more expensive than most UK universities, other than those in London, and with most logical courses, it is really what you make of it yourself. What cities would top your list for culture. And I’m planning on visiting this summer hopefully.

Obviously London, Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh, York
Why are these cities obviously so great? Is it due to their historical past or present standing? I have heard that Bath and York are incredibly boring for a college student.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Obviously London, Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh, York
Why are these cities obviously so great? Is it due to their historical past or present standing? I have heard that Bath and York are incredibly boring for a college student.

Hi there!

Bath is a world heritage site and is famous for its Roman baths (where a number of our societies' balls are held). It is also famous for its Georgian sandstone buildings, and the fact that Jane Austen lived there.

It is quite a small city, and so the nightlife is not as varied as a bigger city, but Bristol is a 15-minute train ride away and is meant to be one of the best cities in the UK for a night out. Our pubs are really great, and SU has something on every day of the week. As a current student, I can say that the fact we live so close to Bristol, whilst living in a beautiful, safe city, I really get the best of both worlds.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Katie, 2nd year Modern Languages student
Hey,

I currently go to Leeds uni so if you have any questions just let me know. Leeds is great for nightlife, there are plenty of clubs, bars and pubs. In fact we have a 15/16 bar pub crawl which everyone does in fancy dress. The SU always has something on too, we have 2 club nights a week plus the bars are open 7 days a week. In terms of culture Leeds is a very multicultural city and we have one of the biggest West Indian Carnivals in the country which happens every year. We also have plenty of museums if those are your thing and of course we are very close to the Yorkshire dales if you like walking. A train into London takes around 2.5/3 hours and it's about an hour outside of other cities (York, Manchester and Sheffield).
You might want to consider Sheffield, Manchester or Newcastle as well, or even Glasgow. All these cities have highly regarded universities with a vibrant university culture and lots going on.

What subject do you want to study?

This link might help:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
I think Bristol has a good music scene?
And in Bristol there's the uni of Bristol and UWE
I'm looking to study International Relations. I've had my doubts about Sheffield, since I've heard about a lot of racial incidents happening.
Original post by Nautilus
You might want to consider Sheffield, Manchester or Newcastle as well, or even Glasgow. All these cities have highly regarded universities with a vibrant university culture and lots going on.

This link might help:

Yeah I heard that they'e got a good scene going, but I also heard it wasn't that diverse.
Original post by Bill Nye
I think Bristol has a good music scene?
And in Bristol there's the uni of Bristol and UWE
Yeah I heard that they'e got a good scene going, but I also heard it wasn't that diverse.

As in the music scene isn't very diverse or the city itself isnt? lmao
Like the city, I heard that it was primarily old white people
Original post by Bill Nye
As in the music scene isn't very diverse or the city itself isnt? lmao
I'm at York at the moment and can say it's really good :smile: There's always something to do, whether that's going out into town or the student cinema I literally rarely ever get bored. It's a super nice place and definitely worth a look around, don't rule it out. If you've got any questions feel free to ask:h:
Like the city, I heard that it was primarily old white people

Utter nonsense. Sheffield is pretty diverse.
We were talking about Bristol
Utter nonsense. Sheffield is pretty diverse.
Edinburgh has a really high student population, really compact, highly ranked, but if u prefer a shorter course go to nottingham, ICL, Oxbridge, UCL, LSE - plenty of options
We were talking about Bristol

Any city with a reasonably highly ranked uni is going to be very diverse, you don't need to worry about that kind of thing and definitely not in the major or rich cities being talked about.
I'm looking to study either business or international relations.

This link might help:

I'm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending