The Student Room Group

Protein - Mass and Strength

I never can put weight on no matter how much I eat, so I’ve decided to try having protein shakes on a morning. I’ve no time for gym so my question is.. Would this help? To drink 2 scoops of PhD Whey Isolate protein for Mass and Strength with 500ml milk every morning without working out?
Nope, the way the protein works is that helps to rebuild and repair the muscle tissues you've broken down through working out. So protein on it's own with no exercise is just extra calories.
Reply 2
So if I’m just getting extra calories wouldn’t that mean I’ll be putting on a little weight? Never taken protein shakes before so appreciate any sort of advice.
Original post by InTheCupboard
Nope, the way the protein works is that helps to rebuild and repair the muscle tissues you've broken down through working out. So protein on it's own with no exercise is just extra calories.
I suppose it would help you gain weight but if you're looking to gain muscle mass then you would need to work out along side drinking the shakes. Protein shakes are low in carbs and fats but if you don't exercise then it can get stored as fat. So it depends on what you mean by weight - muscle mass or just bulking up a bit.
Original post by Shhhofiq
So if I’m just getting extra calories wouldn’t that mean I’ll be putting on a little weight? Never taken protein shakes before so appreciate any sort of advice.

You'll just end up skinny fat
Reply 5
I seee, so standard home workouts would help build a little muscle with it? I.e. Press ups, pull ups etc.
Original post by Lannister043
You'll just end up skinny fat
I never can put weight on no matter how much I eat

It's not how much you eat, it the macronutrients in what you are eating that are important. Eating/drinking calorie dense food in sufficient proportions if you wish to gain weight.

To drink 2 scoops of PhD Whey Isolate protein for Mass and Strength with 500ml milk

Whey protein is not a great option if you are looking to gain weight and is completely unnecessary for someone who isn't very physically active (most people substantially exceed their daily protein requirements without the need for supplementation) . The milk will be more beneficial to weight gain, particularly if full fat milk.

I’ve no time for gym ..... every morning without working out?

Good strategy if you want to get fat.
I seee, so standard home workouts would help build a little muscle with it? I.e. Press ups, pull ups etc.

Yes that would help you build some muscle
Reply 8
Yeah, I always drink full fat milk. So would be filling the protein bottle up to 500ml with that and then adding 2 scoops of the protein. Also a normal glass full before getting into bed.

I’ve been working night shifts for couple of months and family n friends have been saying I’ve lost weight. I was already quite skinny, just under 9 stones last time I checked. So will be doing some home workouts when I get time to help the protein shake with my weight.

Appreciate the advice, thank you.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
It's not how much you eat, it the macronutrients in what you are eating that are important. Eating/drinking calorie dense food in sufficient proportions if you wish to gain weight.

Whey protein is not a great option if you are looking to gain weight and is completely unnecessary for someone who isn't very physically active (most people substantially exceed their daily protein requirements without the need for supplementation) . The milk will be more beneficial to weight gain, particularly if full fat milk.

Good strategy if you want to get fat.
Reply 9
There's nothing magically muscle building about protein powder. It's just powdered food. And you're still better off eating whole food anyway as the powders don't have any nutrients in them. They should only be supplements to get some extra protein in if you find it hard to eat it all, while strength training or course or the additional protein is merely useless calories.

Keep in mind you still need progressive overload even with these bodyweight stuff or you'll only build a tiny amount of muscle. You need to over time do more reps or more weight (weighted vest, resistance bands). Your muscles need a reason to keep growing.

Quick Reply

Latest