The Student Room Group

Have you registered to vote yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Doones
Except it is.

The gov has only confirmed TODAY that the UK's participation is actually going ahead, just hours before the deadline. It's a farce.

I was surprised when I received a poll card yesterday. I assumed that they would wait until it was confirmed first!
Reply 81
Original post by ns_2
Yep; confirmed - allowing EU citizens to register at that time would be in direct contravention of EU treaties

Article 22 of Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union:
Every citizen of the Union residing in a Member State of which he is not a national shall have the right to vote and to stand as a candidate at municipal elections in the Member State in which he resides, under the same conditions as nationals of that State

We would have to allow British citizens to 'fill in a form' on the day (although it isn't a direct similarity).

No the point is to register today but provide the additional form only required by EU citizens when they go to the polling station.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
I was surprised when I received a poll card yesterday. I assumed that they would wait until it was confirmed first!

My parents got their postal votes through the other day, and the polling cards today. It’s a shambles,
Reply 83
Original post by Doones
Except it is.

The gov has only confirmed TODAY that the UK's participation is actually going ahead, just hours before the deadline. It's a farce.

Well, I don't disagree with you there...
Reply 84
Original post by Andrew97
My parents got their postal votes through the other day, and the polling cards today. It’s a shambles,

Presumably the polling cards say they have a postal vote and "will not be able to vote in a polling station"?
Original post by Doones
Presumably the polling cards say they have a postal vote and "will not be able to vote in a polling station"?

The polling card just has their details on it, it should arrive before the actual votes themsleves.

On the other hand my polling card has details of my polling station on it.
Reply 86
Original post by Doones
No the point is to register today but provide the additional form only required by EU citizens when they go to the polling station.

EU law isn't always as clear cut, as evident in another more explicit directive I've found.

Article 3:

"Any person who [...]:

(a) is a citizen of the Union within the meaning of the second subparagraph of Article 8 (1) of the Treaty;
(b) is not a national of the Member State of residence, but satisfies the same conditions in respect of the right to vote and to stand as a candidate as that State imposes by law on its own nationals,
shall have the right to vote and to stand as a candidate in elections to the European Parliament in the Member State of residence...

Although Article 13 states:

"Member States shall exchange the information required for the implementation of Article 4. To that end, the Member State of residence shall, on the basis of the formal declaration referred to in Articles 9 and 10, supply the home Member State, sufficiently in advance of polling day, with information on the latter State's nationals entered on electoral rolls or standing as candidates. The home Member State shall, in accordance with its national legislation, take appropriate measures to ensure that its nationals do not vote more than once or stand as candidates in more than one Member State."

Implying that EU citizens can fill in the additional forms up to the day before the polling day - however, the UK's polling day is earlier than some member states - so which one?

Anyway, this has all been a farce.
Reply 87
The polling card just has their details on it, it should arrive before the actual votes themsleves.

On the other hand my polling card has details of my polling station on it.

Are you sure? My son's specifically mentions the postal vote on it - just below his address and poll registration number.
Original post by Doones
Are you sure? My son's specifically mentions the postal vote on it - just below his address and poll registration number.

I didn’t get a proper look at them to be honest, I’ll let you know when I do. ☺️
Reply 89
I didn’t get a proper look at them to be honest, I’ll let you know when I do. ☺️

It actually looks like ts&cs small print and could be easily missed!
Original post by Doones
It actually looks like ts&cs small print and could be easily missed!

Yep you are correct.
Reply 91
Yep you are correct.

Phew :smile:
I’ve now seen who’s standing in my area (East of England) and for the first time,I have no real clue who will get my European Election vote. I have it narrowed down to 2 I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending