The Student Room Group

My boyfriend is going to uni-it’s hours away.

So I’ve been with my boyfriend for a few months now, he’s moving away in September for university, is it realistic that we would stay together? Can long distance work? I’ve said I would spend the money to get the train to see him on a weekend, would that be enough? I’d love to hear people’s opinions on this or even experiences.

Scroll to see replies

long distance relationships do not work, he would end up cheating move on and find someone else
Original post by cornishpasties
So I’ve been with my boyfriend for a few months now, he’s moving away in September for university, is it realistic that we would stay together? Can long distance work? I’ve said I would spend the money to get the train to see him on a weekend, would that be enough? I’d love to hear people’s opinions on this or even experiences.
Reply 2

It depends how far and how committed you are to each other . Also, you can do video calls, Skype etc. But you really do have to plan and be committed in a ldr.
Reply 3
If you guys really love each other , im sure distance wouldnt be an issue at all. Communication mught reduce but you guys have skype and facetime and stuff like that. If its meant to be itll be. Also i think its only fair if both of you make equal efforts to see each other , not just you soending momey to go see him if ykwim
Reply 4
If I can spend seven years (and counting) in a long distance relationship with my fiancé in another country, then you can definitely survive university. So, possible yes, but it will test the strength of your relationship for sure. That's not a bad thing - if it can't survive some distance, is that really one you want to stay in?

I'm lucky if I get to see my fiancé once a year so yeah, you'll have it much easier than we do right now so it's entirely possible. You just have to figure out if it's worth all of the effort and struggle. He'll need to decide this too.
Original post by evecornwellyt
long distance relationships do not work, he would end up cheating move on and find someone else

wrOng
Original post by _Nyx_
If I can spend seven years (and counting) in a long distance relationship with my fiancé in another country, then you can definitely survive university. So, possible yes, but it will test the strength of your relationship for sure. That's not a bad thing - if it can't survive some distance, is that really one you want to stay in?

I'm lucky if I get to see my fiancé once a year so yeah, you'll have it much easier than we do right now so it's entirely possible. You just have to figure out if it's worth all of the effort and struggle. He'll need to decide this too.

Move on mate
Be sure to keep in touch regularly, if one of you don't, then the relationship is unlikely to last
Yes, it can work. But you both need to put in the effort and make time for each other.

People change significantly during university, so more than the distance you might just find that the two of you may drift apart.
Reply 9

Long distance can be done, and has been done successfully by countless people over hundreds of years, and with less contact available than today. You just have to be committed to each other.

Offtopic: I'm dyslexic and dirty-minded and at first I misread your username as "cornishpanties". Now I want to see pastry-coloured panties with frills that look like the crimped edges of a pasty.

They do if they are built on trust and you have a plan. You sound like you are basing it on one experience
can it work? yes. is it likely for a young university student? no .. 3 months nahh don't get your hopes up.. like when would you see him?

and like mgi said , it depends how committed and if this is serious.. so really, out of all of us, you really know the answer. Even have the convo with him and you never know he may drop the 'i dont think this will work' prhase looool just kidding but do speak to him about it..

i dont know, never had this(never had a bfLOL) but why is he going away, cant he stay in a uni around. i feel like one would do that if they really were committed .. idk but hey, good luck!

Original post by mgi
It depends how far and how committed you are to each other . Also, you can do video calls, Skype etc. But you really do have to plan and be committed in a ldr.

He’s really not the cheat type hahaha, I do understand what you are saying tho!
Original post by Anonymous
can it work? yes. is it likely for a young university student? no .. 3 months nahh don't get your hopes up.. like when would you see him?

and like mgi said , it depends how committed and if this is serious.. so really, out of all of us, you really know the answer. Even have the convo with him and you never know he may drop the 'i dont think this will work' prhase looool just kidding but do speak to him about it..

i dont know, never had this(never had a bfLOL) but why is he going away, cant he stay in a uni around. i feel like one would do that if they really were committed .. idk but hey, good luck!

Because a degree from the university you actually want to go to will stay with you for life whereas a 3 month relationship at the age of 18 is unlikely to last
Original post by Maharaza
If you guys really love each other , im sure distance wouldnt be an issue at all. Communication mught reduce but you guys have skype and facetime and stuff like that. If its meant to be itll be. Also i think its only fair if both of you make equal efforts to see each other , not just you soending momey to go see him if ykwim

I agree. We aren’t highly commutative even now-we both have busy lifestyles-so maybe it would work being in a relationship with less communication- as long as I spoke to him regularly and saw him in our free time I’d be fine
They can work, but you gave to be prepared for the challenges. You may not be ready for them after just a few months.

I'd definitely say long distance can work, but you both need to put in the effort, and that effort needs to be fair and balanced. How far away is he, and how often will you feasibly see each other?
Original post by bones-mccoy
Because a degree from the university you actually want to go to will stay with you for life whereas a 3 month relationship at the age of 18 is unlikely to last

The tha
Original post by bones-mccoy

I agree it’s a nice idea that we stay together, if it happens it happens-if it works it works! I would never stand in the way of his future, even if that meant not being together—I’ve only recently came into his life uni is 1000X more important.... however things turn out, his happiness and well being is my main priority
Original post by shadowdweller
I'd definitely say long distance can work, but you both need to put in the effort, and that effort needs to be fair and balanced. How far away is he, and how often will you feasibly see each other?

I’m in Doncaster UK, he’s in Staffordshire Uk- the train is a couple of hours and quite expensive- but I work, and I’m currently leaning to drive- if it meant seeing him, I would arrange to see him every weekend
The tha

I agree it’s a nice idea that we stay together, if it happens it happens-if it works it works! I would never stand in the way of his future, even if that meant not being together—I’ve only recently came into his life uni is 1000X more important.... however things turn out, his happiness and well being is my main priority

Exactly. I didn't mean to sound like I was saying there was no chance your relationship would work out in my reply btw I do think LDRs can work if both parties are committed and have good communication. But you seem to have a really open-minded and fair attitude about it all so things will be okay whatever happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending