The Student Room Group

Ask my firm university to lower offer due to unforeseen circumstances

I sat AQA Physics for A-Levels and our class never knew for 2 years we had to sit a practical skills paper until 1 week before the exam and I had to do all the past papers to prepare and this was extremely stressful and had a toll on my other A-Levels, I need to email my firm university for lower entrance grades now A-Levels are over but don't know how to phrase it because I don't want it to look like an excuse. Any help to phrase this to my university without making it look like an excuse as this means I don't think I have made my offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sathvik
I sat AQA Physics for A-Levels and our class never knew for 2 years we had to sit a practical skills paper until 1 week before the exam and I had to do all the past papers to prepare and this was extremely stressful and had a toll on my other A-Levels, I need to email my firm university for lower entrance grades now A-Levels are over but don't know how to phrase it because I don't want it to look like an excuse. Any help to phrase this to my university without making it look like an excuse as this means I don't think I have made my offer?

They're very unlikely to offer your current offer under any circumstances. You could however ask your school to send an email to the Uni describing your situation. This would likely be deemed mitigating circumstances and in the event that you don't meet your offer, would be considered by the relevant course selectors when deciding whether you might still be admitted.
Did you never actually look at the specification? Surely you had mock papers that covered practical skills, in AS and A2?

I don’t think you have a valid reason tbh. I can’t believe you went through 2 years of practicals in class, and mock exams and not have any idea.

Apologies but I thought I’d be blunt. I would wait for results day and see what you get
Not to be rude, obviously your teacher is a bit of a tw*t but I’m shocked you never looked at the spec or revision guides or anything?
Reply 4
Obviously I looked at the spec and stuff I would download past papers all the time everyone thought we just did an optional module and that was all, it was the entire year doing physics that had no idea we thought practical questions and stuff that would be integrated into the first 2 papers like the AS papers
Original post by Paypurr
Did you never actually look at the specification? Surely you had mock papers that covered practical skills, in AS and A2?

I don’t think you have a valid reason tbh. I can’t believe you went through 2 years of practicals in class, and mock exams and not have any idea.

Apologies but I thought I’d be blunt. I would wait for results day and see what you get
Reply 5
Obviously I looked at the spec and stuff I would download past papers all the time everyone thought we just did an optional module and that was all, it was the entire year doing physics that had no idea we thought practical questions and stuff that would be integrated into the first 2 papers like the AS papers

Original post by anonymous1231231
Not to be rude, obviously your teacher is a bit of a tw*t but I’m shocked you never looked at the spec or revision guides or anything?
Reply 6
It's up to the college to put forward mitigating circumstances to the exam board - I'd doubt that the uni care.
Reply 7
Original post by Sathvik

If you looked at the spec, then you should have known which exams you are supposed to take, since it explains that in the spec document.

I don't think the uni will accept such an excuse sadly.
Reply 8
despite this I still feel that if the grade boundaries are reasonable then I could get an A* but it was just unfortunate that nobody really knew until a few weeks before the exam and it was just added stress that was put on my a levels
Original post by stoyfan
If you looked at the spec, then you should have known which exams you are supposed to take, since it explains that in the spec document.

I don't think the uni will accept such an excuse sadly.
Reply 9
Original post by Sathvik
despite this I still feel that if the grade boundaries are reasonable then I could get an A* but it was just unfortunate that nobody really knew until a few weeks before the exam and it was just added stress that was put on my a levels

There is still a chance that you can get into the course if you miss by a grade or two.

Just enjoy your summer break and worry about your results when results day approaches. Not a lot of point in worrying about what you got as it is pretty hard to know what grade you got if you do not know what the grade boundaries are.
Reply 10
good advice! and thank you very much!
Original post by stoyfan
There is still a chance that you can get into the course if you miss by a grade or two.

Just enjoy your summer break and worry about your results when results day approaches. Not a lot of point in worrying about what you got as it is pretty hard to know what grade you got if you do not know what the grade boundaries are.
Original post by Sathvik

Your reasoning sounds like it’s your own fault.
If you actually looked at the spec properly you would obviously know what’s included, obviously.
Original post by Sathvik

You need to activate their extenuating circumstances procedure.

In these circumstances though I think the problem is the school and they tend not to get involved with that.
The fact you can do Physics for 2 years and not know about the practical endorsement I find difficult to believe.
Were you doing any other sciences?
Did you ever look at the specification?
If you applied for a science related course, then didnt they ever mention practical endorsements?

I would keep it factual and understated. the fact you are seeking consideration for all your A levels is a bit far fetched imo.
I agree with admit one that a letter form your school explaining their incompetence might be helpful. I doubt they will help.
Original post by Sathvik

I just find this very difficult to believe. It says on the spec at a glance that you get asked questions on practicals in paper 3. It also says in the main specification which you claim to have read.

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/specifications/AQA-7407-7408-SP-2015.PDF
Reply 14
im not only the one this was my entire physics class as well I assumed that's what the spec meant obviously I shouldn't have been so careless until the final few weeks to read up on the spec again but then again we had no reason to look at the spec because we thought we knew the structure of the course , it turns out we didn't and our teacher never told us anything about section a

Original post by 999tigger
I just find this very difficult to believe. It says on the spec at a glance that you get asked questions on practicals in paper 3. It also says in the main specification which you claim to have read.

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/specifications/AQA-7407-7408-SP-2015.PDF
Original post by Sathvik

There is absolutely no point in you writing. What might help is your Head of Sixth to write to your firm and insurance explaining the issue. The universities might then consider letting you in if you miss your offer.
Original post by Sathvik
im not only the one this was my entire physics class as well I assumed that's what the spec meant obviously I shouldn't have been so careless until the final few weeks to read up on the spec again but then again we had no reason to look at the spec because we thought we knew the structure of the course , it turns out we didn't and our teacher never told us anything about section a

I am unsure whether you mean the practical endorsement or the paper 3?
aqaphysicsp3.PNG

If its paper 3 then you should have been practising papers for at least a year.
Your studies are your responsibility. If you are complaining about paper 3 I just dont think its credible when the specification has been with you since year dot.
Reply 17
I understand that the whole of my physics class should've been more attentive towards the spec and not in the closing weeks to the exam but none of the teachers I've had mentioned it all so we were oblivious to this. We did practicals over the 2 years and we had practical endorsement books and we knew they may or may not ask a few practical questions but we all assumed that they may come up in paper 1 or 2 and not as a separate paper worth 45 marks so we had prepared for practical skills but we had done none of the previous past papers or any raw practical questions and this was a big struggle trying to do all these past papers before exams as the structure of these questions were not like we did before.
Hope that clears up stuff.

In these circumstances though I think the problem is the school and they tend not to get involved with that.
The fact you can do Physics for 2 years and not know about the practical endorsement I find difficult to believe.
If you applied for a science related course, then didnt they ever mention practical endorsements?

I would keep it factual and understated. the fact you are seeking consideration for all your A levels is a bit far fetched imo.
I agree with admit one that a letter form your school explaining their incompetence might be helpful. I doubt they will help.

He wasn't refering to practical endorsements.

Basically most physics courses have a paper that questions pupils about certain practicals (this is what OP is refering to). Practical endorsement are small projects that you complete throughout the year. You need to get a pass in each catagory to pass your practical endorsement. It is the teacher's responsibility to keep track of student's progress and help those who are in danger of not passing the practical endorsement.
Reply 19
I am talking about paper 3, section a, no one knew for 2 years we had a separate paper on this until the closing weeks of the exam and it was a rush and struggle to complete and understand all the past papers for this as they were quite tough, it wasn't just me it was the whole of the students doing physics we had no reason to look at the spec as we thought paper 3 would just be the optional module and none of this practical skills however not even our teachers brought up section a until one of my friends pointed it out to me in the closing weeks
I am unsure whether you mean the practical endorsement or the paper 3?
aqaphysicsp3.PNG

If its paper 3 then you should have been practising papers for at least a year.
Your studies are your responsibility. If you are complaining about paper 3 I just dont think its credible when the specification has been with you since year dot.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending