The Student Room Group

Paying Keep To Parents?

I’m 18, just finished my a levels and going for a job interview next week for a proper paying job. My mum said she’s expecting me to pay her £200 a month, which i found unreasonable but she refuses to budge. I just want to know if anyone else in a similar situation pays their parents money like that every month... I wouldn’t not pay keep but i just thought £200 is a bit excessive when i’m always buying my own food anyway...

Scroll to see replies

£200 sounds reasonable - its only £50 a week?

How much will you be earning?
Reply 2
I don’t know yet, probably around 1000
Original post by scorpiorules
£200 sounds reasonable - its only £50 a week?

How much will you be earning?
(edited 4 years ago)
Lol, I don’t pay my parents any money.

But I buy myself everything and never ask them for money.
Original post by megan2811
I’m 18, just finished my a levels and going for a job interview next week for a proper paying job. My mum said she’s expecting me to pay her £200 a month, which i found unreasonable but she refuses to budge. I just want to know if anyone else in a similar situation pays their parents money like that every month... I wouldn’t not pay keep but i just thought £200 is a bit excessive when i’m always buying my own food anyway...
£1200 and you resent £200????? grow up!
I know of a lot of people that do that, its quite normal. its kind of a deterrent to living with your parents I guess. tbh your mum probably paid for a lot of things as you grew up but now you're grown up so you can start paying her back. rather than resenting her for it, you could see it as a way of paying her back for everything she has paid for you? idk
Reply 6
That's insane.
Reply 7
Your parents have every right to expect "keep", you are legally an adult still living under their roof, and if anything they're being generous only wanting like £50 a week.

well it depends how much money you bring in, & how much your family's income is.
I would say if you move out, then rent might be £100 pw + £30 pw in bills, + food, transport etc.

So this would be a huge discount relative to going fully independent (£200 is approx £50 a week) this seems very reasonable, your parents are basically taking very little and just applying some good habits of financial responsibility, one day you'll thank them for charging you so little .
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't agree with parents charging their teenage or adult children rent.
I chose to leave rather than pay to be treated like that.

But your parents may have severe financial problems and need extra contributions towards household bills.
Are there any bills or services that only you use?
Things like monthly mobile bills or sky subscription.
If so, you could offer to have those services transferred into your name so you make all the payments.

Your parents are not forcing you to pay, they are asking you.
They may be asking you in a way that sounds like a demand.
But you are under no legal obligation to pay- they cannot take you to court to force you to cough up.

The thing you have to consider is- it is worth paying the £200 a month?
If you refuse to pay- your parents could cancel some accounts to reduce household bills, stop providing you free meals or even ask you to move out.
Yup. Totally agree. I don’t pay my parents any money but I buy my own food and my own supplies. Sometimes i’ll Buy the weekly shop to help out and I think that’s more than enough
Original post by londonmyst
I don't agree with parents charging their teenage or adult children rent.
I chose to leave rather than pay to be treated like that.

But your parents may have severe financial problems and need extra contributions towards household bills.
Are there any bills or services that only you use?
Things like monthly mobile bills or sky subscription.
If so, you could offer to have those services transferred into your name so you make all the payments.

Your parents are not forcing you to pay, they are asking you.
They may be asking you in a way that sounds like a demand.
But you are under no legal obligation to pay- they cannot take you to court to force you to cough up.

The thing you have to consider is- it is worth paying the £200 a month?
If you refuse to pay- your parents could cancel some accounts to reduce household bills, stop providing you free meals or even ask you to move out.
I don’t think it Is unreasonable for your parents to expect rent, and honestly, £200 isn’t too bad considering how much you are earning and compared to moving out.
Firstly I will say my parents don’t charge me any rent.

£50 a week is nothing compared to the cost of moving out and if you get bits of food etc. on top it’s a no brainier for me.

If I ever have kids I will charge them a sum such as this then give it them back when they move out (providing I can afford to). This teaches you to look after your money and is still reasonable so you shouldn’t complain!
Original post by cheesecakelove
I don’t think it Is unreasonable for your parents to expect rent, and honestly, £200 isn’t too bad considering how much you are earning and compared to moving out.

id go further its a very generous offer. Rent+bills+life costs will be 3 to 4 time the cost, plus the benefit of cooked meals, washing, ironing, dish washer...

When you consider your parents could also cut their costs be getting rid of you and get extra income by getting a lodger... £50/week is just a gesture of respect, and sets out a path of good financial responsibility.

It's perfectly reasonable. Water isn't free, electricity isn't free, gas isn't free etc. You've had these things for free your whole life, so now that you'll hopefully be in a position where you're earning a good wage, you shouldn't complain about being asked to pay a small amount in contribution. £200 is super cheap compared to if you were to move out into your own place.
I didn't necessarily mean pay her back for everything but sometimes its nice to show your parents some gratitude? Just as a nice gesture, could mean more than it seems:dontknow:

Don't pay her the money, invest it every month in a sterling hedged S&P 500 fund. You will thank me later in 30 years time.
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's perfectly reasonable. Water isn't free, electricity isn't free, gas isn't free etc. You've had these things for free your whole life, so now that you'll hopefully be in a position where you're earning a good wage, you shouldn't complain about being asked to pay a small amount in contribution. £200 is super cheap compared to if you were to move out into your own place.

I wouldn't take money from my kids, I don't think it's reasonable to take money from people who are your responsibility. I would tell my kids to take that money and invest it in the market, I'd rather they save and invest money than give it to me. Because if they give it to me, I'll invest it either way (and I want them to learn how to invest and never have to depend on a job ever again).

If the kid is blowing money on crap, then yes, they need to give it to me, but if they are saving and investing it, I don't want a penny.
Original post by maachu_pichuu
invest it every month in a sterling hedged S&P 500 fund. You will thank me later in 30 years time.

Or send you hate mail before the end of this year- if there is a stock market crash in the months after brexit.
Particularly in the event of no deal.
Original post by londonmyst
Or send you hate mail before the end of this year- if there is a stock market crash in the months after brexit.
Particularly in the event of no deal.

How is a UK specific event going to affect a global S&P 500 fund which is sterling hedged as well (protecting you from massive fx moves)? I look forward to no deal, pick up UK domestic stocks for dirt cheap. I am always a buyer of stocks, in particular during periods of distress and panic. When there is fear in the market, I become greedy. I will find every penny I can to buy stocks in distressed situations in the market.

Knowing Boris we are probably going for no deal, so surprised sterling is at 1.27, makes sense to buy £1100 worth of Apple before sterling tanks even more.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending