The Student Room Group

Introducing TSRMedics™ - a site wide initiative to stimulate interest in medicine

Have you ever thought about

- how songs can influence human behaviour and physiological parameters?
- the psychology of everyday life e.g why there's no clocks in a supermarket?
- the accuracy of medicine as protrayed in the media?
- neuroscience behind consciousness / decision making?
- how drugs are being discovered?
- why and how does cancer actually kill?
- how to become a sports doctor / physiotherapist?
(and so, so much more)

Now it's your chance to have your questions answered. :yay:

Introducing TSRMedics - a new section on TSR to stimulate debate and interest in Medicine and related health sciences, with input from medics, students and other allied healthcare professionals.

There will be weekly themes on different parts of the body (e.g. heart week), different specialties (e.g. paediatrics week) and different health sciences careers (e.g. Occupational Therapy week).

We will be posting in different parts of the forum - depending on the theme of the threads (Philosophy / Entertainment / News and current affairs etc.).

Let us know if you are interested, and suggest some questions for us! :smile:

What TSRMedics is not:
- a place to ask a doctor / nurse questions (there is a Health section on TSR - but it's for discussion of Health issues NOT diagnosis)
- a place to ask Medical / Dental / Nursing etc. admission questions (there are sections for those things on TSR)

This thread will be updated with upcoming / previous TSRMedics™ sections and their links for ease of access.

TSRMedics BASICS
TSRMedics JOURNALclub
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anything neurology related :heart:
Not an aspiring med student, but would be interested to learn some of the science for a laugh.
This sounds interesting :smile:
I want to axe a question - see in chemotherapy how WBC count decreases to dangerously low levels - could we not take a sample of blood from the person before chemotherapy and extract the WBCs and clone (like how in labs how specific WBCs are cultured to mass produce antibodies) and inject them into the body so they can replace the WBCs lost due to chemotherapy

that way we don't have to worry about them getting an infection - yes I know antibiotics can be used, but surely a functioning immune system is better than broad spectrum antibiotics
(edited 4 years ago)
nice to see the thread's live :smile:
It’s almost as if you have a vested interest in all things neurological :tongue:
:wink:
Original post by moonkatt
It’s almost as if you have a vested interest in all things neurological :tongue:
I think talking about vaccinations could be an issue to discuss (with the increase in parents refusing to vaccinate and recent news about lesbians refusing cervirax and guardasil vaccines, it could be worth looking into - also possibly talk about HPV and how to minimise the risk of it spreading to genital regions).
that's pretty cool, but I was thinking of already matured WBC rather than the stem cells - they would probably not last as long but wouldn't be as dangerous since you would just inject them into the bloodstream
Oh I know :smile:

I’m a critical care outreach nurse, so have an interest in most things, I look forwards to seeing what discussion pops up
another topic possibly is to mention about pharmacy being more than selling drugs behind the counter
This is a brilliant thread: did you think of it or was it a general TSR brainwave?
It shows great initiative and gives people the chance to meander happily down the winding river of medical discussion.

Bravo! :king1:
Will show it to my son. He'll love it.
this is great!! Planning on doing my EPQ on stem cells for growing prosthetics for amputees and this would be really useful!!
This sounds really interesting, @mpaprika

Original post by mpaprika
this is great!! Planning on doing my EPQ on stem cells for growing prosthetics for amputees and this would be really useful!!
thank you :hugs:I'm getting work experience in a genetics lab and my plan is to tie that to my EPQ, then I'd probably have to find a care home to volunteer in
Original post by Oxford Mum
This sounds really interesting, @mpaprika
I think a cool topic could be post graduate medical qualifications for example differences between a MD and PhD. Pros and cons etc 😄
I can just feel the elitist atmosphere, that will be the place where all your students with 10 A*s at GCSE and whatever will hang around. Your average TSR user has lots of A*s under their belt, you don't wanna know a MEDIC TSR's number of A*s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending