The Student Room Group

How do i write my personal statement for these degrees?

- Podiatry
- Optometry
-Radiography
-Audiology

They're all allied health. I don't wanna seem desirable to only one course
Was anyone else in my situation?

you are unlikely to be able to apply to all those courses with one personal statement
Original post by HumbleBee_x
I don't wanna seem desirable to only one course

That is a grave error. You need to decide which you want and write a PS that is applicable to the subject, lest you appear to be a ditherer who is not committed to studying the admissions tutor's pride and joy subject.
Reply 3
Its going to be quite difficult to cater a personal statement for all of these courses in one. I would recommend trying to figure out what course you want to do.

Have you considered studying medicine abroad?
this is a case of trying to appeal to everyone will make you desirable to no-one. they want to see that you favour their subject above all else, so you're gonna have to pick and commit to one field. you still have a little time to think, if you're applying next year.
Original post by InArduisFouette
you are unlikely to be able to apply to all those courses with one personal statement

Original post by Good bloke
That is a grave error. You need to decide which you want and write a PS that is applicable to the subject, lest you appear to be a ditherer who is not committed to studying the admissions tutor's pride and joy subject.

Original post by Imran96
Its going to be quite difficult to cater a personal statement for all of these courses in one. I would recommend trying to figure out what course you want to do.

Have you considered studying medicine abroad?

Original post by killua.
this is a case of trying to appeal to everyone will make you desirable to no-one. they want to see that you favour their subject above all else, so you're gonna have to pick and commit to one field. you still have a little time to think, if you're applying next year.

my teachers have told me to email the universities for a second personal statement, just for that particular course
my teachers have told me to email the universities for a second personal statement, just for that particular course

Nevertheless you will appear to be a ditherer, and may even come across as a liar if you talk about how one discipline is your heart's delight in the PS and then send another PS for a different discipline that claims that that one is where your heart is set.

You will have to make a choice at some stage, and the best time to do that is when it can make a positive difference to your application - not after it has all fallen apart through giving mixed messages.
my hearts set on podiatry. I want to remain In London and only UEL is in London, so I need other degrees as a backup
Original post by Good bloke
Nevertheless you will appear to be a ditherer, and may even come across as a liar if you talk about how one discipline is your heart's delight in the PS and then send another PS for a different discipline that claims that that one is where your heart is set.

You will have to make a choice at some stage, and the best time to do that is when it can make a positive difference to your application - not after it has all fallen apart through giving mixed messages.
Apart from podiatry, the others all involve the application of physics to the medical field, so you could focus on that being a major component of your statement (you interest in applied use of physics in healthcare), however, my main concern is that in the clinical practice fields and careers afterwards can be radically different.

If you believe you can make a career field decision in the next month, then by all means apply to them. But really, you need to narrow down WHAT you want to do, and WHY. Otherwise your application may come across as weak, and even worse, you may end up doing a degree you're unhappy in. Hope this helps :smile:
It’s not advisable to try and make a personal statement applicable to all but I would recommend looking through previous personal statements for all the subjects you mention and try to find common ground between them all. As they are all allied health subjects there will be some degree of overlap in what you can write, as long as you make it vague enough
As others have said its inadvisable to try to make your PS applicable for all those courses, all of the unis you apply to get the same PS. It also strikes me that if you want to apply to so many different courses you need to do more research before writing your PS to decide what you actually really want to do. This also would have been better in the PS forum but regardless will tag @Charlotte's Web who will be able to give you good advice providing she has time :smile:
my hearts set on podiatry. I want to remain In London and only UEL is in London, so I need other degrees as a backup

If its podiatry you're set on, then physiotherapy or occupational therapy would make more sense for backups, as they're more closely related as they all contain (to a degree anyways) musculoskeletal treatment

Quick Reply

Latest