The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Should smacking children be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
i guess we need a controlled experiment with two randomized groups of ne'er do wells ;

group A gets a gentle talking to and a mars bar for kicking the **** out of pensioners

group B gets a sound thrashing and are forced to wear orange jumpsuits

this would make a wonderful research project, no ?

:beard:

Ngl, I LOLed irl 😂
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by Aberystwyth University Guest Lecturer
My main goal is to examine the relevance of social psychology in understanding everyday social issues and how such issues, like group and intergroup behaviour, body image, and life skills development are amplified through everyday practices, such as during our leisure time (e.g., sport, physical activity).

And yet you come across as an advocate of a smacking ban, and take a dishonest approach in doing so by drawing a false equivalence to assault and battery and making innuendos against those who don't buy your argument.

If you think that those who were smacked disproportionately turn out to be violent thugs then you had better bring forth your research finding. Good luck with that; whole generations, including mine, have been smacked and did not turn out to be violence-crazed.

Reasonable chastisement is exactly that. It causes no injury, no permanent marking and is not emotionally given. It should continue to be available to parents without censure from the likes of you.
Original post by Good bloke
And yet you come across as an advocate of a smacking ban, and take a dishonest approach in doing so by drawing a false equivalence to assault and battery and making innuendos against those who don't buy your argument.

If you think that those who were smacked disproportionately turn out to be violent thugs then you had better bring forth your research finding. Good luck with that; whole generations, including mine, have been smacked and did not turn out to be violence-crazed.

Reasonable chastisement is exactly that. It causes no injury, no permanent marking and is not emotionally given. It should continue to be available to parents without censure from the likes of you.

:congrats:

a spanking good exposition of the common-sense approach to child rearing.
Original post by Anonymous
The main thing to keep in mind is human behavioural biology and psychology.

Hitting a kid is the easy way out for lazy parents who do not have the will to, the interest to, or simply the social skills to address their child’s issue from the root. Instead, hitting them in hopes that they associate the pain with the habit creates a guilty pleasure sort of feeling attached to that. Not only will the kids do it again once their parents are out of sight, they will get a kick out of it as they directly oppose authority.

As of the ‘I turned out okay’ argument, not everyone deserves the right to vote on an issue they are subjectively biased towards in an ill-informed way or do not have the knowledge to think about. It’s Socrates election argument on democracy. I do not need statistical evidence to show that these people regularly suffer from mental disorders today and do not have their lives together, but if you put these people on the charts, I’m sure you’d find unemployment, suicide and financial instability significantly higher.

We have had a bad generation grow up and the world around us is another piece of evidence to see. Gen Y or the daycare generation has still proven to be better.

The current generation is scary. Their sense of self-entitlement to the world is from Satan himself. Look around. You can't say there are 2 genders without being sacked from your professorship. You can't say anything controversial as you'll be 'offending' someone. Scary world we live in.

A good beating early on would've instilled a sense of self respect and tolerance for the ways of the world.
It should be discouraged and not because of the supposed effects, but because too many parents have traditions and just ignore any explanation other than a misbehaving child.

What I'm referring to are the type of children who have undiagnosed autism, adhd etc. Who may act out as a result. It must be terrible to be smacked because that's the way its done in their family, rather than getting diagnosed and treated.
:congrats:

a spanking good exposition of the common-sense approach to child rearing.

Thank you. The real contradiction is that, given the social pressure brought to bear against smacking by the likes of the OP and the consequent likely reduction in smacking, we now have a generation of people whose mental health seems very shaky and which is too nervous to be recruited into the police service (as recently reported).

The OP should be studying the effects of social media and mind-rotting, vanity-inspiring TV shows instead of attacking sensible parenting.
We should absolutely bring back corporal punishment in homes and in schools. Install discipline from a young age.
Original post by Good bloke
Thank you. The real contradiction is that, given the social pressure brought to bear against smacking by the likes of the OP and the consequent likely reduction in smacking, we now have a generation of people whose mental health seems very shaky and which is too nervous to be recruited into the police service (as recently reported).

The OP should be studying the effects of social media and mind-rotting, vanity-inspiring TV shows instead of attacking sensible parenting.

any parental restriction on the use of the internet is tantamount to child abuse. little Julian and Chloe must be allowed their privacy. they can make so many special friends from their bedrooms :rolleyes:
they can make so many special friends from their bedrooms

Very special friends.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I don't know who this beer is @the bear. He once tagged me and I thought it was you, but then I was disappointed to see it was him.

so many young hopefuls have tried to breach your defenses Mum :h:
any parental restriction on the use of the internet is tantamount to child abuse. little Julian and Chloe must be allowed their privacy. they can make so many special friends from their bedrooms :rolleyes:

This reminds me of my elder son, who is worried about the strange people I meet on TSR
so many young hopefuls have tried to breach your defenses Mum :h:

If you think this, you ought to see some of my pm's
Original post by verycoolperson
a kid will only touch a hot stove once :cool:

not always. kids are crazy creatures.
This reminds me of my elder son, who is worried about the strange people I meet on TSR

You should assure him that we will come to no harm from you.
If you think this, you ought to see some of my pm's

:flute:
The main thing to keep in mind is human behavioural biology and psychology.

Hitting a kid is the easy way out for lazy parents who do not have the will to, the interest to, or simply the social skills to address their child’s issue from the root. Instead, hitting them in hopes that they associate the pain with the habit creates a guilty pleasure sort of feeling attached to that. Not only will the kids do it again once their parents are out of sight, they will get a kick out of it as they directly oppose authority.

As of the ‘I turned out okay’ argument, not everyone deserves the right to vote on an issue they are subjectively biased towards in an ill-informed way or do not have the knowledge to think about. It’s Socrates election argument on democracy. I do not need statistical evidence to show that these people regularly suffer from mental disorders today and do not have their lives together, but if you put these people on the charts, I’m sure you’d find unemployment, suicide and financial instability significantly higher.

We have had a bad generation grow up and the world around us is another piece of evidence to see. Gen Y or the daycare generation has still proven to be better.

Absolutely. There are plenty of parents out there who manage to raise decent young adults without feeling the need to smack them, so clearly it can be done. I just don't understand the mentality of people dismissing smacking a child as if it's nothing to worry about.
I don’t agree with smacking personally, but I don’t believe an otherwise competent parent should end up with a criminal record for a small smack. I’m not sure how it has been implemented in Scotland.
As of the ‘I turned out okay’ argument, not everyone deserves the right to vote on an issue they are subjectively biased towards in an ill-informed way or do not have the knowledge to think about.

You appear to be making the You disagree with me and therefore do not deserve a say on this matter argument. Modern democracy, eh!

What is more, you are doing it while hiding in anonymity, not having much courage in your convictions.
Smacking child should be a last resort. Poverty is an issue when it comes to crime.
No it should not be made illegal

Quick Reply

Latest