The Student Room Group

driving at 16

can you drive when u are 16 with a parent? and when do you get ur national insurance number?

Scroll to see replies

In the UK, you can’t drive until you’re 17. You can apply for a provisional license 3 months before you’re 17 so you can start learning to drive on your 17th birthday. If you’re close to 17 it may also be worth learning the theory test content. (This is all if you want to get a driving license as quick as possible)
I think only on private property.
(edited 4 years ago)
From what I've heard recently you can start driving lessons at 16 years and 9 months - but you can't take the test until you are 17. Please look into this though, it's only what I heard from a friend last week.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by taurus_queen
I think only on private property.

oh okay, thanks
Original post by ayl00
can you drive when u are 16 with a parent? and when do you get ur national insurance number?

You get your NI number 3 months before you're 16, which is a year before you can apply for a provisional. You won't be able to take any tests until you're 17, and most formal instructors won't teach anyone without a provisional.

Being a parent isn't enough to be able to teach someone to drive. What if your parent has never driven a car before? Etc. You need to be over 21 and have held your licence for 3 years in order to teach someone.

If you want to drive with a parent (one with a licence etc) then you can but only on private property, so you can't drive down your street or on public roads.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by DrawTheLine
You get your NI number 3 months before you're 17, which is also when you can apply for a provisional. You won't be able to take any tests until you're 17, and most formal instructors won't teach anyone without a provisional.

Being a parent isn't enough to be able to teach someone to drive. What if your parent has never driven a car before? Etc. You need to be over 21 and have held your licence for 3 years in order to teach someone.

If you want to drive with a parent (one with a licence etc) then you can but only on private property, so you can't drive down your street or on public roads.

thank you for this info x
Reply 7
You get your NI number 3 months before you're 17, which is also when you can apply for a provisional. You won't be able to take any tests until you're 17, and most formal instructors won't teach anyone without a provisional.

I live in England and got my NI number a couple of weeks after I turned 16 and many of my friends also.
I got my NI number a few weeks before my 16th Birthday and got a job not long after which required my NI number.

You can apply for provisional license from 15 and 9 months I think (or at least it used to be as I know someone who did) but you can’t learn to drive until 17.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by miss_ambitious
I live in England and got my NI number a couple of weeks after I turned 16 and many of my friends also.

Oh sorry typo! I'll edit it now. Yes it is a few months before you're 16. Thanks for pointing that out I didn't notice that
Reply 10
Original post by ayl00

No, you cannot, except in very special circumstances.
Original post by Elmo12
I got my NI number a few weeks before my 16th Birthday and got a job not long after which required my NI number.

You can apply for provisional license from 15 and 9 months I think (or at least it used to be as I know someone who did) but you can’t learn to drive until 17.

That's for a moped I believe.
Reply 12
Original post by Strelzo
That's for a moped I believe.

It's the same licence for a car and a moped.

The user was correct - you can get your provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months, but you cannot drive a car until your 17th birthday.
Original post by IWMTom
It's the same licence for a car and a moped.

The user was correct - you can get your provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months, but you cannot drive a car until your 17th birthday.

You need to be 16 years old to ride a moped.
If you have a beard or look older than you are :colone:
Reply 15
Original post by Strelzo

Your point being?
Reply 16
Oh sorry typo! I'll edit it now. Yes it is a few months before you're 16. Thanks for pointing that out I didn't notice that

You're welcome:smile:
Original post by Strelzo

Point out the obvious yes. 15 years and 9 months to apply for the licence.

FYI: https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive
Reply 18
Original post by Mustafa0605
In the UK, you can’t drive until you’re 17. You can apply for a provisional license 3 months before you’re 17 so you can start learning to drive on your 17th birthday. If you’re close to 17 it may also be worth learning the theory test content. (This is all if you want to get a driving license as quick as possible)

thank you
Reply 19
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Point out the obvious yes. 15 years and 9 months to apply for the licence.

FYI: https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive

oh really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending