The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

A level results

Is anyone else worried? I wish I had accepted one of the 3 unconditional offers I got instead of making Cardiff my firm. Too late to do anything now.
Original post by Honeymonks
Is anyone else worried? I wish I had accepted one of the 3 unconditional offers I got instead of making Cardiff my firm. Too late to do anything now.

do you have an insurance?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
do you have an insurance?
no. I only wanted cardiff

No I only wanted Cardiff so turned all else down.
No I only wanted Cardiff so turned all else down.

have you looked in clearing? maybe one of those 3 places that gave you unconditionals could be in clearing as a back up plan

Hi @Honeymonks,

Fingers crossed you get the results you need next week. If things don't quite go to plan, we might have places available in clearing for you. The best thing for you to do is to give us a call on Thursday with your results and we will see what we can do.

You can get more information about our vacancies and our Clearing and Adjustment enquiry centre number here: www.cardiff.ac.uk/clearing

Hopefully you will get what you need and this won't be a problem! :smile:

Sophie
Reply 5
Thank you. I know everyone must be stressed. As I want a specific course I’m sure I will have to resit. Have looked at clearing but do not want to do something just because I want to go to university as Geology is what I want to do. Resit won’t be too bad as I’m in a much better place now that a family crisis has passed.
Original post by Cardiff University
Hi @Honeymonks,

Fingers crossed you get the results you need next week. If things don't quite go to plan, we might have places available in clearing for you. The best thing for you to do is to give us a call on Thursday with your results and we will see what we can do.

You can get more information about our vacancies and our Clearing and Adjustment enquiry centre number here: www.cardiff.ac.uk/clearing

Sophie

@CardiiffUniversity had you as first choice but got a much better offer from very similar course at another uni if I put then first. If I do better than I imagined what are the chances of being able to pull out of my current uni and talk to you? I felt I did better in my exams than I envisaged I would when I had to make the choice. Which is why I think our current system is poor of selecting a uni when you have no idea of your results.
My friends sister sat alevels a few years ago and put Cardiff as her firm choice. I can’t remember what her offer was but her results ended up being lower than the entry requirements (by one or two grades) and she still got accepted into the course she applied for. So even if results day doesn’t go exactly how you want there’s still a chance you will be accepted!
Original post by Anonymous
@CardiiffUniversity had you as first choice but got a much better offer from very similar course at another uni if I put then first. If I do better than I imagined what are the chances of being able to pull out of my current uni and talk to you? I felt I did better in my exams than I envisaged I would when I had to make the choice. Which is why I think our current system is poor of selecting a uni when you have no idea of your results.

You can apply to Cardiff through adjustment. On results day but call them up with your grades, ucas number and course you want to apply for and they’ll discuss offering you a place :smile:
Reply 9
It’s a waiting game. I doubt clearing at unis that offered unconditional will be accepting lower grades if turned down initially. It was the course at Cardiff and the friendly atmosphere that made me want to go. The other courses were not as good for me. I am trying to find a job that will complement a course for next year after resits. Any ideas which path to take?
Original post by mrthrrr
You can apply to Cardiff through adjustment. On results day but call them up with your grades, ucas number and course you want to apply for and they’ll discuss offering you a place :smile:

Thanks.

Think I’ll need to negotiate departing my initial firm choice uni first? Chicken and egg scenario. Don’t opt out with them without first getting Cardiff to agree to take my better than expected grades I guess sounds the way. Problems and a little more stress for the 15th!!
Hi @Honeymonks,

Sophie

I thought unis wouldn’t accept you through clearing if they have already made their decision by rechecking you? 🤨
Hi everyone,

There’s some really good points you’re all making here so I thought it might be helpful to try and give a bit of clarity on some of this.

If your results are better than you were originally expecting, you may be eligible to register for Adjustment which might give you a bit more freedom in terms of your options.
Students who are in Adjustment are able to speak to other universities to see if they wold accept them with their improved grades and if that’s the case the uni can help sort out your place without you having to be released by your firm choice.

If your results are what you were expecting or lower, you can still call around to assess your options but before you can be accepted by another institution you will need to be released by your firm choice. However, UCAS have made this easier this year and you should be able to ‘self release’ though UCAS Track without having to speak to the university which you made your firm choice.

In terms of looking for a specific course and knowing what you want, when you speak to our Call Centre we’ll be able to tell you exactly what courses are available, any options which you can choose (such as placement years, semesters abroad, integrated programmes etc.) so you know exactly which programme you are signing up for. In most cases there will be the option to tweak things like this around once you enrol but it’s good to know this in advance.

There’s been some talk about how institutions might feel about you having declined an offer initially and now potentially looking for a place through Clearing. In reality this is not an issue and something you should not be concerned about at all, so don’t worry about this.

So in short, if you are looking to change your mind or want to know what options are available, give the Clearing hotlines a call on Thursday (the earlier the better) and the phone staff will be able to guide you through what’s available with your grades and what to do if you’d like to change your mind.

There’s more info on the UCAS website which might be helpful:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/what-clearing/clearing-faqs
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/ucas-adjustment-if-youve-done-better-expected

Hope this helps,
Sophie
Reply 13
Hi @Honeymonks,

Sophie

Have just been looking at unis in clearing which offer a foundation year. Is this a good move? I would do resits but am finding it difficult to fine somewhere affordable to do this.
Reply 14
Not long now! Does anyone know when Cardiff lets you know on track
Not long now! Does anyone know when Cardiff lets you know on track

Good luck! UCAS Track should be updated first thing this morning. If it's not, give us a call on 0333 241 2800 and we can talk you through your options.
Reply 16
Good luck! UCAS Track should be updated first thing this morning. If it's not, give us a call on 0333 241 2800 and we can talk you through your options.

Thank you. I didn’t do well and was unsuccessful. When I phoned nobody asked why my results were lower than expected and was told that there was nothing that could be done. Am very disappointed but had a feeling that this was going to be the case. I had everything ready to discuss my situation and it never cropped up. Never one to be defeated, I’m looking to what could be next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending