The Student Room Group

Adjustment help

Having received far better results than I was expecting, I am considering using adjustment to get a place at UCL, rather than remain with my firm for the University of Liverpool. To many, using adjustment may seem like a no brainer when comparing the two universities, but not having had a proper chance to look around UCL, I am struggling to make a decision. Two years ago, I would have told you that if I could go to any University I would go to UCL, but having seen and experienced Liverpool, I really enjoy that too. Of course, it isn't the worst predicament to be in, but I really don't want to settle with one and later regret my choice. Anyone who has/is going through adjustment, how did you make your decisions, despite perhaps not knowing so much about the University you were adjusting for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Telamonian Ajax
Having received far better results than I was expecting, I am considering using adjustment to get a place at UCL, rather than remain with my firm for the University of Liverpool. To many, using adjustment may seem like a no brainer when comparing the two universities, but not having had a proper chance to look around UCL, I am struggling to make a decision. Two years ago, I would have told you that if I could go to any University I would go to UCL, but having seen and experienced Liverpool, I really enjoy that too. Of course, it isn't the worst predicament to be in, but I really don't want to settle with one and later regret my choice. Anyone who has/is going through adjustment, how did you make your decisions, despite perhaps not knowing so much about the University you were adjusting for?

First of all, I'd suggest ringing UCL and discussing your situation with them- if they can't/won't offer you a place obviously it's out of your hands. Ask if they'll offer you accommodation too.

Calling the uni isn't committing to anything and at least you'll know where you stand!

Congrats on being eligible! I think it'd be worth speaking to UCL and seeing if they can offer accommodation or anything like that and if they'd be able to take you, and then weigh things up. They'll be able to answer a lot of your questions on the phone which might be helpful to you :smile:

Adjustment generally is not widely used - mainly for this reason. It's definitely a difficult position to be in so you really need to weigh up the pros and cons of each university. Only 880 people were accepted through Adjustment last year.
Thank you all for the advice. It is much appreciated.
I phoned UCL, and they said that they would Email me back before 5 PM, however, on UCAS, the course I am looking at says that it is not taking and admissions. Any ideas?
I phoned UCL, and they said that they would Email me back before 5 PM, however, on UCAS, the course I am looking at says that it is not taking and admissions. Any ideas?

heyy did you receive any email/call yet? I am in a similar positionnn good luck btw!!
Reply 7
Original post by toomanydonuts
heyy did you receive any email/call yet? I am in a similar positionnn good luck btw!!

I applied through adjustment too and I haven’t heard anything yet. The guy on the phone did say if you don’t hear anything by 5pm it means it was unsuccessful :s-smilie:
I have, yes. My new problem is that they have given me till 9AM tomorrow to decide whether I want to take the offer or not. But in other places, it states that I have five days to fully commit to the offer, but until 9AM tomorrow to express that I am interested and have the offer sent through UCAS
I have, yes. My new problem is that they have given me till 9AM tomorrow to decide whether I want to take the offer or not. But in other places, it states that I have five days to fully commit to the offer, but until 9AM tomorrow to express that I am interested and have the offer sent through UCAS

Adjustment is open for 5 days but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have that time to make a decision. If they have given you until 9am then that is your deadline I'm afraid
That's a shame, it isn't enough time to make a decision that will affect the next three years of my life.

Original post by Interrobang
Adjustment is open for 5 days but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have that time to make a decision. If they have given you until 9am then that is your deadline I'm afraid
That's a shame, it isn't enough time to make a decision that will affect the next three years of my life.

Adjustment is only for a small number of applicants (less than 1000 people in the country used it last year). People have to make relatively quick decisions in Clearing too. The unis need to have an idea of numbers to be fair on other applicants. Ultimately if you are happy with your firm, then nothing has to change
Reply 12
What course did they offer you through adjustment??
Original post by j0yy
What course did they offer you through adjustment??

Egyptian Archaeology BA, a course I have always dreamed of.
Reply 14
Egyptian Archaeology BA, a course I have always dreamed of.

That’s awesome, did you accept it? I accepted my adjustment offer yesterday and still haven’t seen any change in my ucas
Honestly you should take it if you can afford to live in London. You’ll probably need about 15k a year just to live a basic student life there but the Univeristy is in the best place in the country and has a great worldwide reputation.
Reply 16
Original post by Mustafa0605
Honestly you should take it if you can afford to live in London. You’ll probably need about 15k a year just to live a basic student life there but the Univeristy is in the best place in the country and has a great worldwide reputation.

Do you think it matters what course you do? I originally wanted to do chemistry but I got an offer through adjustment for Applied Medical Sciences and I just feel a bit weird because not a lot of people have heard of that course and it is fairly new.........but it’s at UCL!!!!! so I had to accept it :s-smilie:
Original post by Mustafa0605

I have accepted it, and pleased with it too. Just having to figure out accommodation now, which is tricky.
I have accepted it, and pleased with it too. Just having to figure out accommodation now, which is tricky.

Follow your dreams. That sounds like an absolutely amazing course. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Well done on your exams. :rambo:

Congrats on your adjustment offer!

Have you tried looking at private halls and intercollegiate halls in London?

Are UCL able to offer you any help in finding accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending