Maths
English Lit + Lang
Triple Science / Separate Science
History
RE
French

I also took up Further Maths in Y11

could I DM you? :smile:
Did you ever get conscious about others revising more than you or feeling like you are not revising enough...
What a level subjects did you pick ?
Original post by Pang13
Hi guys! This is definitely not meant to be a brag post, I’m just bored and want to help by answering any questions you guys might have. So ask away :smile:

How many GCSEs did you take? I'll list my grades and you can list your subjects so we can compare :smile: just curious to see how number of GCSEs affect grades, most people i've seen with all 9s did 7 gcses vs the 11 at my school.

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
Maths - 8
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
History - 9
GCSE PE - 7
Design and technology - 9
French - 7
Religious Studies - 8
How did you make your decision for alevels?
Reply 65
How do you get a 9 in english literature and language? Any example grade 9 paragraphs would be helpful if possible.
Original post by Pang13
Hi guys! This is definitely not meant to be a brag post, I’m just bored and want to help by answering any questions you guys might have. So ask away :smile:

firstly, congrats on your grades and secondly, do you think ill regret choosing trip science? i was in set 2 last year and go pretty good grades some better than the ppl from set 1. there were 4 years btw. anyways do you think ill regret it? i wanna become a dermatologist but idk if its worth it. is itriple science rlly hard?
Reply 67
I’ve received a bunch of questions today, so i’ll just answer a few at once here:
Original post by student2004
I'm currently in year 11, how would you efficiently revise each week?
Also how did you revise for History and Science and Maths if you're teacher hasn't got all the content covered?

1. By Year 11, you should definitely have a revision timetable set up to help manage your time. For the weekdays, I reviewed 4 different subjects per day, 25 minutes each. On the weekend, I had 4-5 compulsory, and I would maybe do extra if I wasn’t out with my friends or relaxing.

2. For History, flash cards are KEY! Try to learn as many facts from the revision guide (not the textbook!) as you can, little by little, and by the end of the year you should have everything covered. It’s easier if you make flashcards as you go. For science and maths, just go through the révisions guide and checklist a page once a week and maybe self learn through YouTube or something similar.

Original post by NelsaH
I am the worst at history and I find Maths quite hard
Any tips? :smile:

History - once again, making flashcards as the course goes is key. I recommend making them from your revision guide or your book, but NOT the textbook or it will be too overwhelming! Do 25 minute chunks and don’t stop till you get it all right; stop when you can’t get it wrong

Original post by nstar3489
How did you learn exam skills like how to answer describe and explain questions and 6 markers and questions about practicals in science?Well done btw for getting all nines :biggrin:

Thanks! I went through loads of past papers with mark schemes and examiners comments. For the practicals, the 6 markers are nearly always the same, so it’s just the case of marking down key points on a flashcard and memorising it. Do as many as possible and go through and mark it. By the exam, you’ll be glad to see the 6 markers in the paper :smile:

Original post by #Working
Any help on how to study for History GCSE

^^^ As above + DO PAST PAPERS!!!!! I have a document full of possible questions and I did loads of essay plans and wrote some of them and had them marked to make sure I get top marks. If anyone wants to see any of my exemplars, feel free to pm!
Original post by indiapaige
I know you aren't asking me but I got a 2 in my mock RS and then went on to get a 9 so I feel I can give some good revision tips! What I did was made a mindmap summarising each section in the revision (eg Christianity beliefs, Christianity practices etc.) and then made flashcards including EVERY quote in the revision guide. Learning lots of quotes also reminds you of key beliefs so you don't have to specifically learn them exactly. Also, practice papers are great especially as the format of the questions are very specific and quite easy to master haha. Good luck !

i am doing christianity and islam so should i do that for christianity and islam using the revision guide and textbook
Reply 69
Original post by Aman971x
How did you revise for all of your subjects?

This has kinda been covered in the other questions, but if there’s anything in particular, feel free to ask!

Original post by Xx_Elsbells97_xX
You did all the same subjects I’m taking now 😁How did you study for french? I got all 7s and 8s in my mocks except french so I’d really appreciate some advice to get that grade up a bit My teachers in other subjects say I can easily get 9s at the rate I’m going but I need help with french 😩😂 thank you

For French, the best way to boost up the grade is to make a ‘cheat sheet’ with great phrases that you can kinda slot in spontaneously in your speaking or writing. E.g ‘bien que je sois’ // ‘je suis de l’opinion que’ // ‘... que j’ai jamais vu’. Also, it’s key to keep up on your vocab THROUGHOUT the year, as languages isn’t something you can leave to the last second! For listening, try to go through as much of your digital textbook’s listening exercises as humanly possible throughout the year.

Original post by ellaosb04
Do you mean Easter holiday in yr 10 or 11?

Year 11! Please don’t stress yourself too much in Year 10 haha :biggrin:

Original post by epicnm
Hi do you have any revision advice for GCSE History? Also how did you remember the english literature texts you read in Year 10? Thanks

For English Lit texts, I highly recommend making a PowerPoint of key quotes for each character / theme. Then, make it into a ‘disappearing quote’ by slowly removing words. Keep this on your phone and when you’re on the bus or just have a few minutes free, it’s great to just have a look at them to keep you refreshed. Also, in exam season, try to make as many essay plans as possible for each text. This worked very well for me, as I had already answered all of the questions on the papers (for Paper 1, I had even annotated the same extract!)

Original post by Hannahb:)
How did you study for triple science and any helpful revision tools/websites? :smile:

It’s always a good idea to print off the spec for triple science. I might still have a condensed spec for chemistry that you can use as a checklist while also as a VERY condensed revision guide. I found loads of useful exam questions on Physics and Maths tutor: by the end of the year I had nearly done all of them! SENECA is also a life saver for the sciences when learning the content. You should definitely give it a try!

[quote=Year11Student[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];85137354]Advice for edexcel history and AQA English lit and language?
See my advice on English lit above :wink: For lang, it’s just a matter of not sounding like every other student sitting the paper. THe examiner will have marked hundreds of scripts, so they’ll have been sick of generic analysis such as ‘this shows’ or ‘this suggests.’ Try words like: exemplifies, accentuates, reveals, illustrates, substantiates, reaffirms, alludes to, undermines the impression that... etc. (Just make sure you know what they mean!)
Reply 70
Original post by Hcjjxjdjdj
What revision guide did you use and do you have any other websites / youtube channels, etc that helped you?

Here’s a little list of some I remember using quite a bit:
- Seneca
- Physics and Maths tutor
- Mr Salles English
- Stacey Reay
- MrMcMillanREvise
- Primrose Kitten
- French with Alexa
- Thoughtco (for languages)
- Hegarty Maths
- Exam Solutions
- Revision World
Well done that's amazing!!! How did you juggle all your different subjects and tackle stress? (I'm in year 11 now and did 3 gcses last year - and got myself really stressed and overwhelmed - and now i have even more subjects) x
Original post by Pang13

How did you prepare yourself in year 10 for your GCSE'S, I have just started year 10 and would find any tips very useful. Thanks.
Reply 73
Original post by mayapatel100
Did you ever get conscious about others revising more than you or feeling like you are not revising enough...

Not really, I had my own personal goals and knew that I deserved a break when I had one.
What a level subjects did you pick ?

RE, French, Maths, Further Maths
Original post by BioChemLad
How many GCSEs did you take? I'll list my grades and you can list your subjects so we can compare :smile: just curious to see how number of GCSEs affect grades, most people i've seen with all 9s did 7 gcses vs the 11 at my school.

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
Maths - 8
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
History - 9
GCSE PE - 7
Design and technology - 9
French - 7
Religious Studies - 8

So I took 10 (inc Further Maths). You can see them all on one of my first posts.
How did you make your decision for alevels?

At first, I was influenced by how other people would see me, and I thought that if I take sciences (+ maybe french) people would see me as smart. But I ended up just taking what I enjoyed, and I will see where that will lead me, because in the end, A-Levels are WAYYYY more intense and independent, and there’s no longer a point in doing a subject for the sake of doing it, since you’re spending more time reading around it.
Original post by Ay.You.
How do you get a 9 in english literature and language? Any example grade 9 paragraphs would be helpful if possible.

Just dm me and I will try to send over some of my example paragraphs/essays/answers. I’ll also see if I can post one here.

Original post by gocrazygostupidd
firstly, congrats on your grades and secondly, do you think ill regret choosing trip science? i was in set 2 last year and go pretty good grades some better than the ppl from set 1. there were 4 years btw. anyways do you think ill regret it? i wanna become a dermatologist but idk if its worth it. is itriple science rlly hard?

Thank you very much! And tbh, I didn’t find triple science that hard or burdensome. In fact, I would say it is almost easier as you treat it as 3 separate GCSEs, and you know what topics are in which subject and it’s easier to revise. Basically, it’s really not that overwhelming, and as long as you’re willing to really grind at those past papers, I’m sure you’ll do absolutely fine :wink:
Reply 74
Original post by sabihah_m
How did you prepare yourself in year 10 for your GCSE'S, I have just started year 10 and would find any tips very useful. Thanks.

Hey! I would just say definitely don’t stress out. I didn’t really do anything to ‘prepare’ myself. I just had the right frame of mind: I didn’t mess about in lesson, I did the work that was set, and I revised properly for the end of year mocks. That’s really all there is.
Reply 75
EXAMPLE PARAGRAPH FOR ENGLISH LANG: PAPER 1 Q3 (STRUCTURE) :tongue:

Throughout the whole extract, the writer cleverly crafts the story, constantly shifting focus from Pi to the ship as a whole as a way to increase the tension and add heightened emergency to the situation.

At the beginning, Martel introduces Pi the main character, who is observing the “water” in the “darkness.” Immediately, the reader is thrown into a very dangerous and life threatening situation, adding to the alarmed and fearful tone. In fact, Martel cleverly uses short sentences in this paragraph to add a sense of pace and urgency, while also having Pi stay stationary, creating a very uneasy and dangerous atmosphere.

The reader is able to ascertain the urgency of Pi’s situation as the writer adds movement in the following paragraphs, as Pi “ran up the stairs”, hooking the reader, almost causing the reader to join Pi as he is running for his life. The fact that there is an increased repetition of questions as he is looking for the “officers and crew” as the extract develops conveys how Pi starting to doubt the safety and security of the situation, leading to the climax as he finds the crew.

However, as the tension peaks, the writer uses cyclical structure by finally having Pi find the officers that were constantly referred to at the start of the extract and as the extract develops. The readers are immediately alarmed as the men “interrupted Pi” dismantling the previous assumption that the officers were calm and collected, and were ready to help Pi. At the end, the tension is released and perhaps even converted to confusion as the officers threw Pi “overboard”, once again undermining the viewpoint that these men were there to help Pi.
When did you start revising for GCSEs?
Original post by Pang13
Hey! I would just say definitely don’t stress out. I didn’t really do anything to ‘prepare’ myself. I just had the right frame of mind: I didn’t mess about in lesson, I did the work that was set, and I revised properly for the end of year mocks. That’s really all there is.

Ok thanks!
Original post by Pang13
EXAMPLE PARAGRAPH FOR ENGLISH LANG: PAPER 1 Q3 (STRUCTURE) :tongue:

Throughout the whole extract, the writer cleverly crafts the story, constantly shifting focus from Pi to the ship as a whole as a way to increase the tension and add heightened emergency to the situation.

At the beginning, Martel introduces Pi the main character, who is observing the “water” in the “darkness.” Immediately, the reader is thrown into a very dangerous and life threatening situation, adding to the alarmed and fearful tone. In fact, Martel cleverly uses short sentences in this paragraph to add a sense of pace and urgency, while also having Pi stay stationary, creating a very uneasy and dangerous atmosphere.

The reader is able to ascertain the urgency of Pi’s situation as the writer adds movement in the following paragraphs, as Pi “ran up the stairs”, hooking the reader, almost causing the reader to join Pi as he is running for his life. The fact that there is an increased repetition of questions as he is looking for the “officers and crew” as the extract develops conveys how Pi starting to doubt the safety and security of the situation, leading to the climax as he finds the crew.

However, as the tension peaks, the writer uses cyclical structure by finally having Pi find the officers that were constantly referred to at the start of the extract and as the extract develops. The readers are immediately alarmed as the men “interrupted Pi” dismantling the previous assumption that the officers were calm and collected, and were ready to help Pi. At the end, the tension is released and perhaps even converted to confusion as the officers threw Pi “overboard”, once again undermining the viewpoint that these men were there to help Pi.

That looks great! What did you use to help you to revise English. Like do you suggest any revision resources or online material?
What was your morning routine?
What was your after school routine?
How did you revise and how did you take your notes?
What music did you listen to when revising?
What websites did u use to revise for science (I suck at science 😕)?
How did u revise for science?
What revision techniques did you use?

Sorry for so much questions I’m just curious 😂

Quick Reply

Latest