The Student Room Group

Girl being laughed at in economics class

ee
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That's really sad and unfortunate however the misery can be mitigated, I believe.

A. Reduce contributory output, if vocalising responses prompts demeaning commentary which upsets you cease making public comments temporarily.

B. Increase alignment with other girl, alliances are forged on a common basis and serve as a union of comfort and confidence in this case you are unified by femininity which could act as a starting point for friendship (even just within the class)

C. Widen social circles - the hardest of the stages - maintain your current friendships and ensure they are bonds of enjoyment and trust which can relax you from the upset of such negative incidents.
What are you saying exactly that makes them laugh? Probably just a bunch of jackasses.
Reply 3
Original post by RedGiant
What are you saying exactly that makes them laugh? Probably just a bunch of jackasses.

I'm just answering questions based on what we're studying that the teacher asks.
Original post by anele1
I'm just answering questions based on what we're studying that the teacher asks.

I suggest either firmly telling them that their being immature and childish or quietly have a conversation with the teacher and briefly explain the issue and suggest to the teacher what you want them to do about it if there is anything specific. Small things like this must get dealt with early.
Original post by filletofish
That's really sad and unfortunate however the misery can be mitigated, I believe.

A. Reduce contributory output, if vocalising responses prompts demeaning commentary which upsets you cease making public comments temporarily.

B. Increase alignment with other girl, alliances are forged on a common basis and serve as a union of comfort and confidence in this case you are unified by femininity which could act as a starting point for friendship (even just within the class)

C. Widen social circles - the hardest of the stages - maintain your current friendships and ensure they are bonds of enjoyment and trust which can relax you from the upset of such negative incidents.

I say B is the best and easiest to implement.
Look them straight in the eyes and tell them to f*ck off. I’m sure your teacher won’t mind because In college they don’t really care about swearing. Give em your all

Yo wtf can you write my personal statement for me or something, who speaks like that from the top of their head?!
Reply 8

I completely disagree with A)

You dont deal with bullies by backing down.

I would turn to them next time they do it and say something like "what is so funny, exactly?"
Original post by anele1

Laugh back at them sarcastically. Or just simply tell the head of sixth or the teacher that it is harming your learning.
Original post by Nununu
I completely disagree with A)

You dont deal with bullies by backing down.

I would turn to them next time they do it and say something like "what is so funny, exactly?"

I stand by phase A of my advisory strategy for the individual if by its implementation the routine bullying is ceased which is probable given the cause of such inexcusable behaviour is equally but unfairly terminated, then the overall achievement of tranquil and harassment-free lessons can render the agenda as a success.
Reply 11
I stand by phase A of my advisory strategy for the individual if by its implementation the routine bullying is ceased which is probable given the cause of such inexcusable behaviour is equally but unfairly terminated, then the overall achievement of tranquil and harassment-free lessons can render the agenda as a success.

They wont stop.

If they are indeed laughing at her, then they will find another way to bully her of she backs down.

A is a bad idea. Those people have no right to stop you from making whatever contributions you want.
Original post by GreenCub
A is a bad idea. Those people have no right to stop you from making whatever contributions you want.

Agreed
Reply 14
Just want to point out how very weird it is that I myself have just started Economics and have a class of 11 with 2 girls in it. Craaaazy.
I am sorry to read this. Stick at it would be my advice. Really not convinced with what some others had advised. There is a chance because it's a new class, things will settle down, so personally I'd do nothing differently and try to ignore them. If they don't grow up, or get used to being in a new class, I think the quiet word with the teacher will be the other option. Something along the lines of saying that you're felling more reluctant to contribute in class because of the bullying. The teacher is possibly giving the boys a period of grace but will know of the noise.

Do stick at it though. You won't be the only student experiencing this, even if it is only you in this one class. People have got through it over the years, and I suppose it can be put down to being part of a learning experience. Don't take the bait, get worked up or respond though as it will just add fuel.

That's really not good advice - perhaps you think this is acceptable behaviour? These bullies need putting in their place by the teacher who should be intervening.
Reply 17
It could also be in your head. As this has happened to me a couple of times and they have said "we aren't laughing at you".

But it's still rude and so you still need to ask them politely what exactly are they laughing at next time they do it.
I had the same. Only girl in Further maths and some of the boys were horrible. I was new to the school as well and they weren’t used to having a girl who knew her stuff in a class, they were used to being top dogs. At first I felt quite intimidated and it didn’t take long for my teachers to clock what was going on (both male) although their reactions were very different.
Teacher A:
Told me to ‘play stupid’ so I wouldn’t hurt their egos (I didn’t do this, I just continued as normal). This really annoyed me as he kept going on about how they found me intimidating just because I’m a girl??? It honestly wasn’t like I was over the top I was just like anyone else in that class except for the fact I’m a girl. Anyway I kept telling him it’s their problem not mine and eventually he backed off
Teacher B:
Showed me that the sniggering and sly comments were all bravado and that they were actually completely lost in all the new content. He told me that I should continue as I am and they just have to deal with the fact that girls can do stem to.
A year on and some of them have dropped after AS (like I said they were struggling), I topped the class and they’re finally calming down about my existence, yes they’re still not happy about it but they’re much better at keeping it to themselves now. Tbh I know a few of them are terrified of me 😂 lol because they’ve never spoken to a girl before which I think is hilarious.
In summary, you keep being yourself as it’s their problem not yours. Snapping back/ retaliation is a difficult one and generally it’s easier to stay away from that type of thing. Once the boys told everyone I was 5 months pregnant so the next day I wore my tightest bodycon dress- that soon stopped the rumours. Work hard and you’ll do well, then they’ll have nothing to giggle about. You go show them how it’s done!
Hi Anele,Firstly, please keep contributing to your classes your, though hindering your own imput you will not cease to be bullied as the bullys very nature is to find some way to make you demeaned therefore do not let them take away the pleasure of engaging in your classes.Secondly you do need to have a conversation with a tutor as it is their role to control the learning enviroment and either manage or remove the problem. I personally experianced this kind of treatment throughout school and I will be honest it wasnt easy to deal with I tried collaberation, friendship and confrontation but I found the best way was to understand my bully, realise they were the little weak one who was so self concious they could only feel better about themselves by attempting to make others worse which is pathetic and sad really. So I know its easier said than done but try and remember everytime they snigger it is because they probably dont actually understand the content and are making up for their own insecurities and you are the one who will be off to better things like university or a decent job where intelligent imput is well respected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending