The Student Room Group

Student Finance Help

Hi,

I was in the process of applying for student finance (for 2nd year of study), and got to the financial part of the form. I didn't apply for any additional maintenance loan as I don't need it, and it says that I don't need to provide any further financial details.

According to my university, I should get a bursary due to the household income, so I was just wondering how the university will know what bursary to give me if I don't have to provide any financial information?

Thank you for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Unnamed User
Hi,

I was in the process of applying for student finance (for 2nd year of study), and got to the financial part of the form. I didn't apply for any additional maintenance loan as I don't need it, and it says that I don't need to provide any further financial details.

According to my university, I should get a bursary due to the household income, so I was just wondering how the university will know what bursary to give me if I don't have to provide any financial information?

Thank you for any help :smile:

Your university will know whether you're eligible for a bursary via SFE. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Your university will know whether you're eligible for a bursary via SFE. :smile:

Thank you for replying :smile:

They didn't ask me to provide any of my family details such as parent email address or anything. How will my university know how much bursary to give me without this information?
Reply 3
Thank you for replying :smile:

They didn't ask me to provide any of my family details such as parent email address or anything. How will my university know how much bursary to give me without this information?

They use the assessment of household income carried out by SFE to automatically assess whether students are eligible for a bursary. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
They use the assessment of household income carried out by SFE to automatically assess whether students are eligible for a bursary. :smile:

But SFE said they don't need any of my household income as I didn't apply for additional maintenance loan :frown:
Reply 5
But SFE said they don't need any of my household income as I didn't apply for additional maintenance loan :frown:

Ah then I'm not sure about this sadly. :frown:
I'd have thought you might not be eligible based on this, the advice tends to always be apply for the additional maintenance loan whether you feel you need it or not - better to have it than not! Chances are you won't ever pay it all back anyway, so if it's possible to, I'd change the application if possible? Otherwise speak to uni about it, they normally have a finance help desk!
Original post by Motherofgreys
I'd have thought you might not be eligible based on this, the advice tends to always be apply for the additional maintenance loan whether you feel you need it or not - better to have it than not! Chances are you won't ever pay it all back anyway, so if it's possible to, I'd change the application if possible? Otherwise speak to uni about it, they normally have a finance help desk!

The only reason I don't need it is because I live at home and commute to uni.
My uni is the one that gives the bursary based on household income given in SFE. If I don't need to provide it, then how do they know my household income? That was my main dilemma. However, I found a way around it. I just said I wanted additional loan and increased the loan by like 6 pounds :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending