The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

open uni! first year doing psychology E102 and DE100

hey everyone,
I'm starting my modules now and they open properly in October and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on studying from home and how to make the most of open uni,
I haven't been in education since secondary school and I'm 20 now but I'm keen to get stuck in! Just a bit nervous in case I get things wrong as it is all from home! And how do we meet other people on our course?
Thanks!
Hi! Can’t help much with the study part as I’m only in college but my mum has recently finished a course on the open uni and she joined Facebook group chats and met people at lectures (sometimes she got invited to like a meeting or something idk) and through the group chat. Have fun!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by mills.gamy
hey everyone,
I'm starting my modules now and they open properly in October and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on studying from home and how to make the most of open uni,
I haven't been in education since secondary school and I'm 20 now but I'm keen to get stuck in! Just a bit nervous in case I get things wrong as it is all from home! And how do we meet other people on our course?
Thanks!

Hi, I am also 20 and starting BSc Psychology with the Open University in October, except i'll be studying part-time. My boyfriend has completed a degree with the Open University and has said the first year more or less brings everyone up to speed and isn't too intense. I'm still waiting for my course materials to arrive but hoping with good planning i'll be okay!
Reply 3
There is plenty you could be doing in the way of reading. Getting a good general undergraduate psychology textbook like Gross psychology (latest edition) and a book on essay writing would help. You could also sign up to a MOOC or two to get you in the mood for studying again. Have a look at EdX or Future Learn if you like. There’s no pressure in doing one but it would give you an idea of how you can start carving out spaces of time to study and where and when suits you best.
Reply 4
hey everyone,
Thanks!

I did my undergraduate degree completely online with my local University in the North of Scotland so I could still earn money and work experience in my field at the same time. The 4 year slog was tough and could feel very isolating at times however, I always had things I did outside of work and study such as Scouting which meant I was never short of friends and things to keep me busy on days "off" which I think is important. You don't want to be sitting around doing nothing by yourself on days off study / work as that's when you can start to feel like you're the only one in the world who's ever struggled through something and that's not the case if you talk to people. My top tip for online/distance learning would be that you need a good support network around you and something other than work / study to keep you going.

In answer to your second question about meeting others, there's always Facebook groups for your faculty (ours is FASS as I'm also a Psychology student,a I'm doing the Masters) and you can also chat to people on the OU forums and your tutorials. There are also regular student association drop ins on Adobe Connect where you can chat to others from different degree programmes and just hang out. I gather there are also meet ups if you're in England as well.

Best of luck with your studies which I know start very soon.
hey everyone,
Thanks!

I am studying psychology with the OU. I have a blog here and an advice thread for new OU students you might want to check out. :smile:
Reply 6
hey everyone,
Thanks!

Hi, are you still in open uni? Did you get heavily downgraded? If you search the open university on the 38 degrees site there's a petition to fix this nonsense grading. Spread the word to any open uni folk you know.

Quick Reply

Latest