The Student Room Group

Motivating myself to do work

I have a lot of deadlines this week. Every time I sit down to start the work, I can’t motivate myself to do it. I’ve tried to turn my phone and iPad off, music, no music, library. How do I trick myself into working ?
Original post by Carysmozza
I have a lot of deadlines this week. Every time I sit down to start the work, I can’t motivate myself to do it. I’ve tried to turn my phone and iPad off, music, no music, library. How do I trick myself into working ?

I always say if you really want to do something you will just do it. try and write down all your deadlines. temporarily delete your social media apps/ put timers on all of your apps so they lock you out or even better get the forest app so it basically locks your phone (best £2 I have ever spent) try and go to the lib with someone else to motivate you though I would suggest you sit in the silent study section. honestly just sot down open your books/ laptop and work don't even think about it just do it; you could also make a schedule that you have to stick to. at the end of the day as bad as it is to say the panic will set in and you will soon get it done haha
Reply 2
starting is the hardest part. I will try this brain exercise to help myself, maybe it will help someone else too:

Have you tried to imagine how horrible you will feel (your future self) if you reach that deadline without having the assignment ready?

Do you feel connected to your future self, as a person? Do you want your future self to experience pain and disappointment for example?

the concept of future self can be used for starting any improving behaviour e.g. gym, better diet etc
its because deep down you dont really care.
doesnt matter what things you make yourself do to stop distractions, it wont work if you dont care. if you care about something and want to do it, there are no distractions
Think that if you dont and you get no qualifications you'll end up in a dead end job. That's how I make myself work. Means I'm working to better myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending