The Student Room Group

Who is academic tutor?

I applied to undergraduate course at UCL after completion of three semesters of BA degree in my home country.
On UCAS I put reference letter from high school teacher who taught me subject which is relevant to my applying courses.

However, just one hour ago I received a request from UCL admissions office as follows:
Please could you arrange for an academic reference from your current degree tutor at where you are taking your BA.
I would be grateful if you could arrange for an academic referee to email me, outlining your suitability for the course and your academic performance to date.

In this case, who is “current degree tutor” who UCL nominated?
Professor, or other person who are working at my university?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hinatazaka
I applied to undergraduate course at UCL after completion of three semesters of BA degree in my home country.
On UCAS I put reference letter from high school teacher who taught me subject which is relevant to my applying courses.

However, just one hour ago I received a request from UCL admissions office as follows:
Please could you arrange for an academic reference from your current degree tutor at where you are taking your BA.
I would be grateful if you could arrange for an academic referee to email me, outlining your suitability for the course and your academic performance to date.

In this case, who is “current degree tutor” who UCL nominated?
Professor, or other person who are working at my university?

It would be the professor that is most in charge of your studies - at uk unis students have a professor who is like the go to for academic support or advice - if you don’t have the equivalent where you live ask one of your professors (either one you know well or one who teaches you a lot) to write it for you
Reply 2
Original post by emilybond:)
It would be the professor that is most in charge of your studies - at uk unis students have a professor who is like the go to for academic support or advice - if you don’t have the equivalent where you live ask one of your professors (either one you know well or one who teaches you a lot) to write it for you

Thank you for your message!
I will ask my professor who offered me interactive discussion class.

However, nominated deadline from UCL is one week after today’s sudden email.
Of course I will do my best to get reference, but one week would not be long enough to arrange it.

If it is difficult to meet the deadline, is to ask admissions office of whether nominated deadline can be postponed or not effective?

Of course I will do my best to get reference, but one week would not be long enough to arrange it.

If it is difficult to meet the deadline, is to ask admissions office of whether nominated deadline can be postponed or not effective?

I would email them and ask I don’t know if they will say yes but if you explain that you are from another country and didn’t realise who your reference had to be and the date you could give it to them they might consider it ?

In most cases it is fine to request a short extension as long as you are in the process of obtaining the requested information. The Uni just wants to keep the application moving. I would email and then call the next day to ensure they have received it and are aware you are in the processing of getting a new ref.

They are likely to accept a ref from anyone at UCL who is familiar with your academic work, usually either a personal tutor or a module tutor.
Reply 5
Original post by emilybond:)
I would email them and ask I don’t know if they will say yes but if you explain that you are from another country and didn’t realise who your reference had to be and the date you could give it to them they might consider it ?

Thank you for your reply.

Fortunately, I could find a professor who accept my arrangement of recommendation letter.
He told me he sent admissions office a message with reference letter yesterday by his university email address.

However, I have not received any messages from admissions office since then, even though professor may have already received such acknowledgement..

In this case, should I contact admissions office of whether they have successfully received the letter from the professor?
(edited 4 years ago)
Just wait a few days. There are thousands of these sort of requests going out and responses coming in. It will take them a bit of time to process them all.
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
Just wait a few days. There are thousands of these sort of requests going out and responses coming in. It will take them a bit of time to process them all.

Should I await response more, even if nominated deadline is tomorrow?
Should I await response more, even if nominated deadline is tomorrow?

They will tell you if they are still waiting - they give a short deadline so that you do something about it.
Stop worrying.
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
They will tell you if they are still waiting - they give a short deadline so that you do something about it.
Stop worrying.

Not until today did I receive any emails which tells me successful reception.
I asked my referee whether he received any replies from admissions office, but he told me that he also has not yet received any replies.

Does this case have possibilities that my reference did not yet reach admissions office?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending