The Student Room Group

Should 16-year-olds be able to vote? The 2019 edition.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosacherry
I agree that it isn't the most sensible idea to give 16 year olds a vote HOWEVER they can buy a house, have children and join the army so it seems somewhat backwards that you can do all that but not vote at 16

Errrm, one has to be 18 to own land or property in the UK because that is the age when legal contract documents can be signed.

Having a child at the age of sixteen seriously questions the parents ability to make responsible choices and most often is the result of unplanned and underage sex.

Joining the army at 16 is allowed but only with parental consent and they are barred from front line duty until 18.
Original post by rosacherry
I agree that it isn't the most sensible idea to give 16 year olds a vote HOWEVER they can buy a house, have children and join the army so it seems somewhat backwards that you can do all that but not vote at 16

They can only have children with certain individuals who are of a similar age and not in a possition of power over them - and they can't marry that person without permission.

They can only join the army with parental permission, and can't go on the front line..

They can't take out a mortgage or sign a tennancy agreement, so they can only buy a house with cash, and even then it can be tricky.

So in all of your examples - they still aren't the same as 18 year olds.
I personally would like to be able to vote at 16 being politically interested, but quite a lot of 16 year olds don't have the mental mindset of an adult. As in they know nothing about politics, and make memes of politician sayings without even understanding them. I probably know more about politics the quite a lot of adults anyway. The same thing applies to 18 year olds, there are still people who have not mentally grown yet but there are much less compared to 16 year olds so I don't think the voting age should be reduced. Or perhaps we should let 16 year olds vote providing they pay income tax? There won't be that many 16 year olds working jobs that earn enough salary to be taxed, so these 16 year olds probably seem more mature if an employer is going to pay them over £10k a year or whatever the minimum taxable salary is.
Original post by Glaz
100% should be lowered.

why?
Original post by Neilos
No, there are enough easily swayed, impressionable voters around as it is... I don't see any benefit to adding a load more (no, not all 16/17 year olds fit that description, but I think that group is more likely than over 18s to be easily led).

The general age of adulthood is 18, so that should be the minimum.

This

They are children, they don't have a clue so leave it to adults.
Hmmm, I'm a little torn as I feel that lots of 16yos could be pressured into voting the same as their family, or just voting for the bigger parties without giving it much thought. However, at the same time, I feel like lots of older people vote that way also. As well as this, lots of points in party manifestos directly affect people in that age group.
Original post by Glaz
100% should be lowered.

PROVES MY POINT

glaz is literally 16!
Original post by AnonymousGuest
I personally would like to be able to vote at 16 being politically interested, but quite a lot of 16 year olds don't have the mental mindset of an adult. As in they know nothing about politics, and make memes of politician sayings without even understanding them. I probably know more about politics the quite a lot of adults anyway. The same thing applies to 18 year olds, there are still people who have not mentally grown yet but there are much less compared to 16 year olds so I don't think the voting age should be reduced. Or perhaps we should let 16 year olds vote providing they pay income tax? There won't be that many 16 year olds working jobs that earn enough salary to be taxed, so these 16 year olds probably seem more mature if an employer is going to pay them over £10k a year or whatever the minimum taxable salary is.

Interesting idea, although considering many 16yos are in education, I'm not sure this would give the vote to many 16 yos at all. I believe the taxable income is £12,500, and typically first jobs (or any 'low skill' jobs) that you may expect a 16 year old to have won't pay anywhere near that much.
One thing to add..

It will 100% happen within the next few decades.

In fact, the next Labour majority goverment will consider it, and trial it. I guarentee it. Its far far to politically tempting to resist, and now that the core ideological objections of the past have died away societally (adult authority over children), there is no reason for Labour not to do it.

I will be pissed off, but it will happen.
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
Hmmm, I'm a little torn as I feel that lots of 16yos could be pressured into voting the same as their family, or just voting for the bigger parties without giving it much thought. However, at the same time, I feel like lots of older people vote that way also. As well as this, lots of points in party manifestos directly affect people in that age group.

For every relatively mature 16 year old (read one day older than 15), there will be 20 more idiots who don't learn nuffink at school. C'mon, think of what constitutes the average year 10/11 GCSE year students.
Original post by fallen_acorns
One thing to add..

It will 100% happen within the next few decades.

In fact, the next Labour majority goverment will consider it, and trial it. I guarentee it. Its far far to politically tempting to resist, and now that the core ideological objections of the past have died away societally (adult authority over children), there is no reason for Labour not to do it.

I will be pissed off, but it will happen.

That's what lefties are all about...so desperate for votes that they'll let anyone do anything!!!
Reply 31
I am 16 years old and I honestly think it should stay 18, I and others would say I am quite mature for my age, I have a job, do work experience for NHS and am in college. However, I still don't have the foggiest about anything political. I don't think I could make my vote count, and to be quite honest I'd probably be swayed easily by the idea's of people who appear more knowledgeable on the subject (youtubers etc)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Stupid and provocative question to ask on a forum full of teenagers. What do you think the answer will be...?

Quite dangerous as well, voting isn't a game but this poll could be very influential yet it was posed...to a bunch of kids. Considering the demographic of the site it's quite unfair. For instance, YouTube and reddit and quora would have a different idea than tsr ....

Do you mean that teenagers would be more likely to say the voting age should be lowered?

It's interesting actually, if you read the OP, you'll see that when we've asked the same question previously, the answer was a resounding 'no', that it should stay at 18. It's a question that is asked frequently by members of this community, so it's clear to us that the debate is important, which is why we're making a space for it to happen at this timely juncture.

Also important to note that this forum is a lot more age-diverse than you seem to think. Plus, for what it's worth, I actually think this 'bunch of kids' are pretty darn intelligent.

Perhaps you'd like to consider contributing to the debate with your ideas, rather than arguing about the reason for it.
Original post by BlinkyBill
Do you mean that teenagers would be more likely to say the voting age should be lowered?

It's interesting actually, if you read the OP, you'll see that when we've asked the same question previously, the answer was a resounding 'no', that it should stay at 18. It's a question that is asked frequently by members of this community, so it's clear to us that the debate is important, which is why we're making a space for it to happen at this timely juncture.

Also important to note that this forum is a lot more age-diverse than you seem to think. Plus, for what it's worth, I actually think this 'bunch of kids' are pretty darn intelligent.

Perhaps you'd like to consider contributing to the debate with your ideas, rather than arguing about the reason for it.

Lol are you trying to fight with me Blinky Bill??? Pretty much everyone in the thread has said no and agrees. I don't have to explain my reasoning, that's quite pedantic. I've explained my opinion and you don't really have to agree with it but singling me out for it is a bit much. Everyone knows my rhetoric by now, there's no need to take it personally.
Where is the option for repealing the Wilson change and raising it to 21.
Think it’s one of those things that shouldn’t be decided by age. Sure a 16 year old may not fully understand politics or the economy, but neither does my 47 year old neighbour. Age is just the easiest (laziest) way to decide who can and cannot do things in society. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Original post by bubblecat
Think it’s one of those things that shouldn’t be decided by age. Sure a 16 year old may not fully understand politics or the economy, but neither does my 47 year old neighbour. Age is just the easiest (laziest) way to decide who can and cannot do things in society. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think about this a lot also. Sometimes I wonder if there's some sort of knowledge based test that could be created, although then I suppose there could be some discrimination issues with that?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
PROVES MY POINT

glaz is literally 16!

nah i am her age too a still think that the voting age should stay as 18...
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
I think about this a lot also. Sometimes I wonder if there's some sort of knowledge based test that could be created, although then I suppose there could be some discrimination issues with that?

Nope, who decides what's on the test or the criteria for passing? Who regulates it to make sure its unbiased?

There needs to be an arbitrary cut off and age is a good way of deciding that.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Nope, who decides what's on the test or the criteria for passing? Who regulates it to make sure its unbiased?

There needs to be an arbitrary cut off and age is a good way of deciding that.

Yep, plus knowledge can be varied based on the individual, and I imagine the 'test' would have to be changed regularly.

For example, I consider myself quite knowledgable about the benefits system etc, but know nothing about the NHS and how it's funded.

This is such an interesting discussion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending