The Student Room Group

Why do I get an £80 fine if I dont register to vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
Your mum doesn't count

It's just bants

Oh don't worry, I could never complete with your mum

bants
Original post by ArsenalFCman
Oh don't worry, I could never complete with your mum

bants

Better :smile:
Original post by Popsiclez
Im 18 and just got a letter saying I have to register to vote or I get fined. That seems like a bit of an over reaction to me, and they've only given me 2 days to do it, how do they enforce this fine anyway? What if I didnt have the 80 pounds?

No answer is an answer and obviously I couldnt care less about voting.

I think it’s because registering to vote puts you on the electoral register. Names are chosen from this for things like jury duty etc. This means if you didn’t register, you would never have to do things like that. I would imagine it’s also useful to have an up to date list of the population who are eligible to vote.
No one really wants to do jury duty, and not registering to vote would get you out of that, hence the possible £80 fine.
I don’t know if anyone actually gets fined, or if it’s just a threat.
Reply 23
Im 18 and just got a letter saying I have to register to vote or I get fined. That seems like a bit of an over reaction to me, and they've only given me 2 days to do it, how do they enforce this fine anyway? What if I didnt have the 80 pounds?

I know a few people who don't register, they have never recieved any fines to my knowledge, I think it's pretty much an empty threat.

You should be aware though that if you aren't on the electoral roll, you might run into difficulties when opening up a bank account, taking out a mortgage, applying for credit, etc. I think a lot of these institutions carry out checks on the electoral roll to ascertain your identity. You might as well just register, it takes no effort whatsoever and I really don't see much point in bringing unneccessary potential hassle upon yourself just to make some kind of anti-establishment statement. 'The Man' will still be there whether you register or not. But It's your choice.
I received an email threatening me with the exact same thing.

Only, I am registered to vote.
I'm registered in my home constituency, and this was an email from the constituency of my university - probably because I rent student accommodation in that area. I also made the mistake of putting this student address as my term time address. But the truth is I spend half my time at home, and half my time in the student accommodation and I assume that registering to vote twice is probably frowned upon, I'm going to ignore the email.
Reply 25
There is a legal requirement to complete this form - the legislation is Representation of the People (England and Wales) Regulations 2001, which grants local authorities the power require that information be given and penalties enforced for non-compliance. However, it's exceptionally rare for this to happen - mainly because people just fill it in. Like you should...

If they were imposing fines (Which varies by council, most don’t, Ive never heard of it before) they likely have people who knock on the door and basically do all the forms for you. You just confirm it’s correct.

But everyone is required to be on the electoral roll. It’s for more than just voting, credit reference agencies use it, council tax, public records, etc.
Reply 26
You can't get fined, the letter is probably fake but there's no harm in registering. You don't have to vote if you don't want to. I registered as soon as I could but I've never voted not even once.
Original post by iLoveRodents
I received an email threatening me with the exact same thing.

Only, I am registered to vote.
I'm registered in my home constituency, and this was an email from the constituency of my university - probably because I rent student accommodation in that area. I also made the mistake of putting this student address as my term time address. But the truth is I spend half my time at home, and half my time in the student accommodation and I assume that registering to vote twice is probably frowned upon, I'm going to ignore the email.

you can register to vote in both your home constituency and your university constituency (obviously you have to pick one or the other to actually vote in for the GE)
It's a legal requirement for a homeowner to report who occupies a property and/or the residents responsibility to fill out the electoral register form.

I dont understand you're beef with this, its normally all filled in all you do it check it, correct any incorrect details and sign it, this post has took more time to do this - literally. A landlord does it once and then it's up to the tenants, until they move out.

Also, not being on the electoral register is bad for you financially, it makes all sorts of things more expensive like car insurance for example.

It does not force you to vote.
(edited 4 years ago)
If that's the case why is registering compulsory. They want me to just register, just to not vote?

You definitely don't need to vote. Your local authority just needs to know who is living at each property so they can assess who needs to pay the community charge at that address
Original post by ArsenalFCman
I was talking about the £80 side of things... And any forced filling of forms.

It is called living in a civilised society where citizens have rights and duties e.g. jury service. I mean if you don't like things here you could alway live in a progressive country like Russia, Zimbabwe or Saudi Arabia that are well known for their excellent open democracies.
Original post by ByEeek
It is called living in a civilised society where citizens have rights and duties e.g. jury service. I mean if you don't like things here you could alway live in a progressive country like Russia, Zimbabwe or Saudi Arabia that are well known for their excellent open democracies.

That's what I was thinking but my reply was a little more reserved :wink:
Reply 32

Well, whether it seems like an over-reaction or not, it is the law.

If you don't pay a fine, you likely end up in court, with a full-on criminal conviction and they will likely find a way of extracting an even bigger fine from you.
am i the only one dying at this 😂
It’s probably labour trying to muster the young voters
Hi there. By law you should be on the electoral register if you are aged 18 or over. You can be registered at your home and term time address but can only vote once. You can do this online via your local council by the register to vote link or just google 'register to vote'. Even if you are on the electoral register you don't have to vote if you don't want to and wont be fined £80. .
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 36
Umm, it's actually the exact opposite of this. :facepalm:

It's because we live in a democracy that Electoral Services need to know who is eligible to vote so that people can exercise their democratic right.

Talking about democracy, i've lived in The Netherlands for 18 years ( one of my parents was Dutch ) there is no requirement to register to vote over there, there is no census no jury duty or any other s.h.i.t.t.y. obligations.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by GAZ62
Talking about democracy, i've lived in The Netherlands for 18 years ( one of my parents was Dutch ) there is no requirement to register to vote over there, there is no census no jury duty or any other s.h.i.t.t.y. obligations.

Of course there isn't, The Netherlands doesn't have a jury system, you can decide for yourself whether that is a good thing or not. Personally I prefer the English legal system, even if it comes with the slight chance of being called up for jury service maybe once in your lifetime.
Reply 38
Original post by Wōden
Of course there isn't, The Netherlands doesn't have a jury system, you can decide for yourself whether that is a good thing or not. Personally I prefer the English legal system, even if it comes with the slight chance of being called up for jury service maybe once in your lifetime.

My point was that there are too many legal obligations but now that you mention jury duty i was called once but never served i made sure of that i also made sure that i would never be summoned again i don't want to seal someone's fate and having to do this as a civic duty under duress is morally wrong in my opinion.. my brother in law was called 3 times and served on all occasions twice as a foreman.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending