The Student Room Group

My annoying family

My family have recently been really annoying me and it's not on. They are trying to make me find a job and I don't want to work, I live at home and that makes them think they have the right to force me to do something I don't want to do. Whenever I've worked in the past, after a few months I hate it and quit so I think that there's no point in wasting peoples time in the future but my family doesn't get this.

I am very honest with why I don't want to work and that's a good quality I have, I could lie and say I'm depressed etc but I am an honest person, I just can't be arsed to work, workings a mugs game in my opinion. I prefer sitting in my room and playing computer games. Recently my auntie has been wanting to put a stop to all of this.

She needs to mind her own business, yesterday she was banging on about how my room is never tidy etc but it's my room? My nan cleans it anyway, she doesn't mind but my auntie has got talking to my nan and has brain washed her to say otherwise. Not only this but she has suggested that I should do things around the house like wash the dishes?? I actually get sick when I do them but she's insistent that I do them daily??

My auntie also wants me to get a job helping in a charity until I find work... and that I also pay a certain amount of board with my dole money, she doesn't drink, has no life and never enjoys herself so she's obviously one for paying bills, she doesn't understand that my pay day is a treat day for me where I can go out with friends and get drunk etc, she wants me to give at least half of it to my nan that I live with???

I just want to be left alone in my room doing what I want, it's my life but she keeps on interfering, how can I handle this woman?she's literally brain washing my nan. What should I do? Things are becoming so awful for me, I can't cope :/
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My family is the opposite. I really want to work but they are not allowing me. I tried sneaking once and went to a job interview and when I got accepted, I told my mum and she was absolutely furious. I ended up not accepting the job.

I can understand your family’s side of wanting you to work and doing some household chores (independence) and you are right that they shouldn’t force you to do something you don’t want to do, but I feel like you should be weighing the pros and cons here.

May I ask, how old are you, and are you living on your own or with your family?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My family is the opposite. I really want to work but they are not allowing me. I tried sneaking once and went to a job interview and when I got accepted, I told my mum and she was absolutely furious. I ended up not accepting the job.

I can understand your family’s side of wanting you to work and doing some household chores (independence) and you are right that they shouldn’t force you to do something you don’t want to do, but I feel like you should be weighing the pros and cons here.

May I ask, how old are you, and are you living on your own or with your family?

We should 100% swap families. And I'm 30, living with my family.
Original post by calluml572

If your 30, I think its a resonable expectation you contribute to the household income.
What do you do M-F?
Its very resonable that you pay board money, I hope this some weird troll, cant believe some peoples attitude its amazing.

the post you wrote first made me think you were like 15/16.
(edited 4 years ago)
WTF and you're complaining like some teenager? You're a 30 year old yet you think it is okay to live under someone else's roof not even doing the bare minimum. You cannot simply be spoon fed and learn to have some independence.
the fact that you're 30, not paying board, not doing any household work, not working because you "cant be arsed", and expecting your nan to clean your room is frankly disgusting. you need to get a grip, get a job, and then pay your nan some of the money, go to your room and clean it. stop complaining about your auntie like you're a teenager. :mad:

Honestly, you wouldn’t want my family. They don’t want me to work, but I do a lot of chores to help them. Mostly voluntarily, but sometimes, forced.

I didn’t think you’re 30. I thought you were on your teenage years, that I would find understandable. But as an adult man, it is normal for your family to tell you to work, especially that you’re living with them. Like mnot said, it is a reasonable expectation you contribute to the household income.

Try to think about it once more, and rather than focusing on the fact that you don’t want to work, think about the benefits you’ll get as an employed person.

None of us want to work, really. All of us would like to have a way where we don’t have to sweat but still live comfortably. Be realistic though.
Reply 7
Some of you are being a bit mean
You're being a little bit like a spoiled brat though. The children I help teach do house chores without being asked/or paid. You're a full grown adult who's riding on their family's hard earned money. That fact that the 7-12 Yr olds I know are more independent than you blows my mind. Imagine how much you'll struggle when your family either die or kick you out. They are doing you a big favour by trying to get you to be more independent so you can make it in this world alone. It's not even because you can't be independent or get a job, you literally said you couldnt be arsed to. And then you had the nerve to call your aunt and your family annoying. That's infuriating. You're the problem here.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
There's no need to be nasty guys, me and my family don't usually have these conversations as I am a sensitive person, I am very easily offended so for my auntie to come on so strongly is quite awful for me. Some of you aren't looking at the bigger picture here and are not taking what I want into account.
You're not going to get very far in the real world with an attitude like that. You may not want to work but neither do a lot of people, the diference is they're not lucky enough to be able to live rent free in their own little bubble, they have bills to pay and mouths to feed so they can't afford to slob around all day. That's just living in the real world.

You keep saying no one's taking what you want into consideration when it sounds like your family have been pandering to what you want for a very long time. It sounds like you've lived a very sheltered life and expect things to just magically appear in front of you. They don't. Nothing in this world is free and it's about time you acted your age and took responsibilty for yourself.
Reply 11
Original post by bones-mccoy
You're not going to get very far in the real world with an attitude like that. You may not want to work but neither do a lot of people, the diference is they're not lucky enough to be able to live rent free in their own little bubble, they have bills to pay and mouths to feed so they can't afford to slob around all day. That's just living in the real world.

You keep saying no one's taking what you want into consideration when it sounds like your family have been pandering to what you want for a very long time. It sounds like you've lived a very sheltered life and expect things to just magically appear in front of you. They don't. Nothing in this world is free and it's about time you acted your age and took responsibilty for yourself.

Oh yes let me get a job where I'll be miserable, a job which will take up all of my free time. I should also go to work wearing a top that says 'I now have no life' while I am at it. I'll go and tell all my gaming friends that I now have to wash the dishes and give up half of my dole money, that will make me look real cool. NOT. Or maybe I should buy a top which says loser on it or I'm a mug, it will for sure fit in with my new life style.

It's always been my dream to have to wake up at 7 and go to work to make someone else rich. Such a dream! Once again you're not taking my needs into consideration. I am currently the laughing stock in the gaming chat I belong too, none of them have to work. My best friend Ralph gets an entire basement to himself. He doesn't have to put up with annoying aunties.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Can someone else comment? so far only idiots have
Can someone else comment? so far only idiots have

The only idiot I see is you lol. Not my or anyone else’s problem you can’t see that
Reply 14
Original post by Professional G
The only idiot I see is you lol. Not my or anyone else’s problem you can’t see that

I mean you call yourself 'Professional G' How embarrassing LOL.
I mean you call yourself 'Professional G' How embarrassing LOL.

I also go to uni and have worked a job before and I’m 11 years younger than you and I’m the embarrassing one?
My family have recently been really annoying me and it's not on. They are trying to make me find a job and I don't want to work, I live at home and that makes them think they have the right to force me to do something I don't want to do. Whenever I've worked in the past, after a few months I hate it and quit so I think that there's no point in wasting peoples time in the future but my family doesn't get this.

I am very honest with why I don't want to work and that's a good quality I have, I could lie and say I'm depressed etc but I am an honest person, I just can't be arsed to work, workings a mugs game in my opinion. I prefer sitting in my room and playing computer games. Recently my auntie has been wanting to put a stop to all of this.

She needs to mind her own business, yesterday she was banging on about how my room is never tidy etc but it's my room? My nan cleans it anyway, she doesn't mind but my auntie has got talking to my nan and has brain washed her to say otherwise. Not only this but she has suggested that I should do things around the house like wash the dishes?? I actually get sick when I do them but she's insistent that I do them daily??

My auntie also wants me to get a job helping in a charity until I find work... and that I also pay a certain amount of board with my dole money, she doesn't drink, has no life and never enjoys herself so she's obviously one for paying bills, she doesn't understand that my pay day is a treat day for me where I can go out with friends and get drunk etc, she wants me to give at least half of it to my nan that I live with???

I just want to be left alone in my room doing what I want, it's my life but she keeps on interfering, how can I handle this woman?she's literally brain washing my nan. What should I do? Things are becoming so awful for me, I can't cope :/

Get a job and move out, oh wait...

To say this as nicely as I can:
I really think you need to get a job. Sooner or later, you will need to start making your own money so you can survive on your own. You can't depend on other people forever, you need to depend on yourself so if anything happens, you know you can survive by yourself. Even if you don't want to do it, it doesn't mean you shouldn't ever do it. All you need to do is find your motivation and hopefully, you will be inspired to work. If you're 30 years old, why don't you want to live by yourself? That's quite uncommon to be honest hahah.

Hope this helps!! :smile:
Oh yes let me get a job where I'll be miserable, a job which will take up all of my free time. I should also go to work wearing a top that says 'I now have no life' while I am at it. I'll go and tell all my gaming friends that I now have to wash the dishes and give up half of my dole money, that will make me look real cool. NOT. Or maybe I should buy a top which says loser on it or I'm a mug, it will for sure fit in with my new life style.

It's always been my dream to have to wake up at 7 and go to work to make someone else rich. Such a dream! Once again you're not taking my needs into consideration. I am currently the laughing stock in the gaming chat I belong too, none of them have to work. My best friend Ralph gets an entire basement to himself. He doesn't have to put up with annoying aunties.

you're acting like a child. i would never expect so much from my family. idc if you're so bothered about it but i really think you should do all that. it's logical and it would prove you've grown up. you're family are treating you as if you were a baby. you can't keep acting like a child, no wonder why you're a laughing stock in the gaming world.i love my gaming but i still do what im told and expected to. i still go to work and school if i have to so i can earn myself a living instead of expecting it. you're honestly a joke to humanity. you're a lowlife, thieving piece of scum who has a wonderful, loving family who deserve way better than you. get a job and sort yourself out before you die alone and penniless.

Actually what's making you a loser is the fact that you're a 30 year old who can't deal with the real world. You're perfectly capable of working yet you're scrounging off the government with absolutely no intention of ever getting a job, it's people like you who give the individuals desperately in need of benefits a bad name.

You're only a laughing stock within your online friends because they're just as lazy, self-pitying and immature as you. It's a shame cause it's going to take a real shock for you to realise how entitled you are and the longer you live like this, the worse it'll be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending