The Student Room Group

Graduate Medicine Funding

Is anyone doing what I'm doing below:

A graduate from NI looking to study grad med in England. Found out that if you're an english resident you can avail of the english funding, I will have lived in england 7 months before the start of my application. Does anyone know if thats enough to convince the SFE committee that I have decided to live in England?
Original post by jamesjmillar
Is anyone doing what I'm doing below:

A graduate from NI looking to study grad med in England. Found out that if you're an english resident you can avail of the english funding, I will have lived in england 7 months before the start of my application. Does anyone know if thats enough to convince the SFE committee that I have decided to live in England?

Hi there,

If you are ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland and have moved to England for the purpose of study then you will not be eligible for funding with Student Finance England unfortunately as per our residency regulations.

Thanks, Erin
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

If you are ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland and have moved to England for the purpose of study then you will not be eligible for funding with Student Finance England unfortunately as per our residency regulations.

Thanks, Erin

Hi Erin,

Thanks for your reply, what if move to england to start my career in science but then in half a year to a year suddenly decide I want to study medicine? I would have a house in england at this stage and wpuld now be resident there
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

Thanks, Erin

Or maybe to put it bluntly, on whats terms would I qualify as 'normally resident'? I plan on living in England anyway, but dont want to have to wait 10 years to apply for medicine
Or maybe to put it bluntly, on whats terms would I qualify as 'normally resident'? I plan on living in England anyway, but dont want to have to wait 10 years to apply for medicine

Hi James, as your now residing in England, you should apply to Student Finance England and our residency team will review your application to see if you are eligible.

The standard criteria is

-Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education (except UK nationals who are exercising their right to reside)
-Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.*
-Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay).

Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi James, as your now residing in England, you should apply to Student Finance England and our residency team will review your application to see if you are eligible.

The standard criteria is

-Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course for reasons other than full-time education (except UK nationals who are exercising their right to reside)
-Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.*
-Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay).

Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your response, maybe if I could clarify this further as I'm a little confused. In terms of the section "except UK nationals who are exercising their right to reside", if I was born in NI as a U.K. citizen and moved to England 1 year prior to the 1st day of my academic year, would I qualify for the "ordinarily resident" funding? Thanks,

James
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your response, maybe if I could clarify this further as I'm a little confused. In terms of the section "except UK nationals who are exercising their right to reside", if I was born in NI as a U.K. citizen and moved to England 1 year prior to the 1st day of my academic year, would I qualify for the "ordinarily resident" funding? Thanks,

James

Good morning, if you didn't move to England just for the purpose of studying then I would say you are ordinarily resident. Our residency team and assessing teams will make the final decision once they review your application.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending