The Student Room Group

Traffic light help!

Are these traffic light sensors? If so what are there purpose ? There are also the same cameras on the opposite side facing traffic. Ran a red light by accident around 6am roads were clear , no exucse should have been paying attention, havent run a red light before .

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I'm almost convinced that these threads are just one person messing with me...
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom

What do you mean?
Original post by IWMTom

Yeah because it’s all about you isn’t it..

@Lauraa6 This is a sensor for the pedestrian crossing, I understand it can happen as we are all human, just try to pay more attention you need to look well ahead when driving, if a light is green anticipate the change. Live and Learn.
Reply 4
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Yeah because it’s all about you isn’t it..

@Lauraa6 This is a sensor for the pedestrian crossing, I understand it can happen as we are all human, just try to pay more attention you need to look well ahead when driving, if a light is green anticipate the change. Live and Learn.

She could have killed someone.
Original post by IWMTom
She could have killed someone.

You know it’s totally possible to see someone crossing a road and stop without even acknowledging a traffic light right?

She obviously is going to learn from this and be more careful, we are all human and mistakes happen its apart of life, stop trying to bully people online seriously.. it just shows your insecurities. Hiding behind a computer screen passing judgement on people doesn’t make you tough, all it does is confirm you have social problems and most likely aren’t so “chatty” face-to-face. No doubt you’ll respond with some gimmick as you’re predictable AF.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
You know it’s totally possible to see someone crossing a road and stop without even acknowledging a traffic light right?

She obviously is going to learn from this and be more careful, we are all human and mistakes happen its apart of life, stop trying to bully people online seriously.. it just shows your insecurities. Hiding behind a computer screen passing judgement on people doesn’t make you tough, all it does is confirm you have social problems and most likely aren’t so “chatty” face-to-face. No doubt you’ll respond with some gimmick as you’re predictable AF.

If she didn't see a big **** off red light how would she see a person?
Hi Laura,
Looking at your pics I'm sure you have got nothing to worry about, there not cameras.
My advice in future regardless of the time of day, just pay a little more attention.
That said I'm sure you have learnt your lesson, and wont be doing it again. Dont worry!!!! Take care. X
Original post by IWMTom
If she didn't see a big **** off red light how would she see a person?

Ugh a traffic light isn’t positioned directly infront of you nor does it move.
Reply 9

Nor is a small child running out to get their ball.

Are you really going to sit here and defend the OP?
Original post by Lauraa6
What do you mean?

There have been countless threads on this topic, in fact, I'm pretty sure one was posted just a few days ago. It's a question that crops up far too often.

Which makes it all the more worrying... We're talking about a big, bright red light at 6AM (so it's going to be dark and much easier to see the light). If you can't see that, you're probably not seeing the person wearing plainclothes...
Original post by TheMcSame
Which makes it all the more worrying... We're talking about a big, bright red light at 6AM (so it's going to be dark and much easier to see the light). If you can't see that, you're probably not seeing the person wearing plainclothes...

Like I said a person will move into your line of sight a traffic light does not, it can be misread its clearly not impossible. If someone is caught going through a red light its points and a fine, not an instant ban and never being allowed to drive again, as people with brains understand human error has been happening since day 1.
Original post by IWMTom
Nor is a small child running out to get their ball.

Are you really going to sit here and defend the OP for being a reckless POS?

Theres no point speaking to you tbh it’s clear as a human you are just mentally broken.
Reply 13
Theres no point speaking to you tbh it’s clear as a human you are just mentally broken.

I can't wait for one of your family members to be ran down by a pathetic motorist who couldn't see a big red ball of bright light. Then we'll see who's "mentally broken".
Like I said a person will move into your line of sight a traffic light does not, it can be misread its clearly not impossible. If someone is caught going through a red light its points and a fine, not an instant ban and never being allowed to drive again, as people with brains understand human error has been happening since day 1.

How can you misread a red light?! It's red, bright, in the same place as always - there's simply no excuse or reason beyond utter incompetence!

But a traffic light will always be in your line of sight on approach... Also, again, you're missing a big point here. Most people who are walking alongside the road are not wearing hi-vis clothing, they're wearing regular plainclothes. This happened at 6AM when it would've been dark. If you've ever driven at night, you'll know just how hard it can be to see pedestrians wearing plainclothes in the dark. If you miss those bright traffic lights at night (which will be in your view on approach), you're definitely going to miss the pedestrian in plainclothes walking in the dark.

Again, we're talking about literal light being missed while in the dark.

The vast majority of traffic light 'misreadings' are the result of two sets of lights being close to each other and the driver is focusing on the wrong set of lights. This would not be a plausible scenario here since the next set of lights are around the corner and not visible on approach to the set of lights the OP ran. It should also be noted that traffic lights are standardised throughout the country specifically to avoid misreadings of a lone set of traffic lights. There's no reason a lone set of lights should be misread, red is always at the top, green is always at the bottom. Likewise, this happened at 6AM, at this time of year that's still night as far as daylight is concerned.

Are you aware that not all drunk driving convictions result in an instant ban? Does that mean it's okay to go out and drive drunk? Your logic says yes.

I'm all for your argument if the OP simply made a wrong judgement call and ran a red light that just turned red. But by the sounds of it, the OP ran a light that may well have been red for some time. To make matters worse, this isn't a traffic light controlled junction. It's a pedestrian controlled crossing. That is to say that rather than a dummy crossing system that you'll find on many traffic light controlled junctions, these set of lights have a proper crossing system in place that will change the lights once a request to cross is made. The only reason these set of lights should change is to allow someone to cross.
Original post by TheMcSame
But a traffic light will always be in your line of sight on approach... Also, again, you're missing a big point here. Most people who are walking alongside the road are not wearing hi-vis clothing, they're wearing regular plainclothes. This happened at 6AM when it would've been dark. If you've ever driven at night, you'll know just how hard it can be to see pedestrians wearing plainclothes in the dark. If you miss those bright traffic lights at night (which will be in your view on approach), you're definitely going to miss the pedestrian in plainclothes walking in the dark.

Again, we're talking about literal light being missed while in the dark.

The vast majority of traffic light 'misreadings' are the result of two sets of lights being close to each other and the driver is focusing on the wrong set of lights. This would not be a plausible scenario here since the next set of lights are around the corner and not visible on approach to the set of lights the OP ran. It should also be noted that traffic lights are standardised throughout the country specifically to avoid misreadings of a lone set of traffic lights. There's no reason a lone set of lights should be misread, red is always at the top, green is always at the bottom. Likewise, this happened at 6AM, at this time of year that's still night as far as daylight is concerned.

Are you aware that not all drunk driving convictions result in an instant ban? Does that mean it's okay to go out and drive drunk? Your logic says yes.

I'm all for your argument if the OP simply made a wrong judgement call and ran a red light that just turned red. But by the sounds of it, the OP ran a light that may well have been red for some time. To make matters worse, this isn't a traffic light controlled junction. It's a pedestrian controlled crossing. That is to say that rather than a dummy crossing system that you'll find on many traffic light controlled junctions, these set of lights have a proper crossing system in place that will change the lights once a request to cross is made. The only reason these set of lights should change is to allow someone to cross.

Ngl didn’t bother reading, as you seem to think someone missing a red light is absolutely impossible. Not sure what world you live in or if you’re some different type of breed of human, but like I said human error evidently happens.. no one is perfect not even you.
Reply 16
Ngl didn’t bother reading, as you seem to think someone missing a red light is absolutely impossible. Not sure what world you live in or if you’re some different type of breed of human, but like I said human error evidently happens.. no one is perfect not even you.

@TheMcSame presented a perfect argument to refute your comments and you have the audacity to reply in this manner. You're actually hilarious.

Well if you're not going to bother reading it, it says a lot about your mindset when it comes to debating.

Again, I'm all for your argument if the OP just made a bad judgement call and ran a fresh red light, but by the sounds of it, the light may have been red for some time. That's where the main issue is. It's not that they ran the red in itself that's the problem, it's that they ran a light that was likely red on approach at a set of lights that were specifically built to allow people to cross there (the set of lights in the OP don't control a junction).

Sure, people miss things. However, those things are usually road signs (no surprise given the state some councils let road signs get into). You just can't miss a bright red light at night if you're paying attention to the road.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending