The Student Room Group

german help

how do you say "i had no clue about.. " in german after weil

for example.. how would you say.. " i did not like the film because i had no clue about what was going on" ?

Reply 1
I think it is:
....weil ich keine Ahnung hatte, was in der Film passiert.
I am not German though, a German should preferably confirm so :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dapapfc
I think it is:

thankyou so much :smile:
Original post by dapapfc
I think it is:

weil ich keine Ahnung hatte, was in DEM Film passiertE ("der" is the correct article, but the "case" - idk if that's what you call it in English - is "Dativ" = in wem ist etwas passiert ? In DEM Film + passierte, bc it's past tense)
Imo, "keine Ahnung" + "passierte" could be a bit too literal though since that's more like "I didn't know what happened in the film [bc I didn't watch it]" - If you're looking to convey that you didn't understand what was going on while watching, I'd say sth like "weil ich nicht verstanden habe, worum es in dem Film ging", or "weil ich keine Ahnung hatte, worum es ging" - I think the latter is probably what I'd say in conversation, but not in combination with "passierte" bc you do objectively know what happened in the film, you just mean that you didn't understand it.:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by linda1301
weil ich keine Ahnung hatte, was in DEM Film passiertE ("der" is the correct article, but the "case" - idk if that's what you call it in English - is "Dativ" = in wem ist etwas passiert ? In DEM Film + passierte, bc it's past tense)
Imo, "keine Ahnung" + "passierte" could be a bit too literal though since that's more like "I didn't know what happened in the film [bc I didn't watch it]" - If you're looking to convey that you didn't understand what was going on while watching, I'd say sth like "weil ich nicht verstanden habe, worum es in dem Film ging", or "weil ich keine Ahnung hatte, worum es ging" - I think the latter is probably what I'd say in conversation, but not in combination with "passierte" bc you do objectively know what happened in the film, you just mean that you didn't understand it.:smile:

ahh i see, thankyou :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by linda1301

Oh, wow, that surely clears things up!
Thank you so so much!! :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Min Yoona
how do you say "i had no clue about.. " in german after weil

for example.. how would you say.. " i did not like the film because i had no clue about what was going on" ?

I had no clue about can be translated in German as follow: 'Ich habe keine Ahnung von...'.

Here are two examples:

Ich habe keine Ahnung von Fußball (I have no clue about football)
Ich habe keine Ahnung von Technik (I have no clue about technology)

no clue means 'keine Ahnung haben' in German language.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
I had no clue about can be translated in German as follow: 'Ich habe keine Ahnung von (über)'.

Here are two examples:

Ich habe keine Ahnung über Fußball (I have no clue about football)
Ich habe keine Ahnung von Technik (I have no clue about technology)

no clue means 'keine Ahnung haben' in German language.

keine Ahnung über is incorrect, you can only ever say keine Ahnung von (I'm a native speaker of German and my mum, who is a German Speech & Language Therapist, confirmed this too :smile: ).
(edited 4 years ago)
Don't know what you told me, I can't see anything. :flute:

In colloquial language this grammatical incorrectness exists among Germans. It is horrible to realize that so many native speakers make this mistake without to know. :zomg:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Don't know what you told me, I can't see anything. :flute:

In colloquial language this grammatical incorrectness exists among Germans. It is horrible to realize that so many German native speakers make this mistake without know! :yikes:

haha I thought it might be some colloquial thing:wink:
it's like replacing "der" with "wo" ("Derjenige, wo etwas gemacht hat"...very prevalent in the area where I live and hearing this grammatical construction gives me the chills every time lol)
I guess we can't even speak our own language :giggle:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending