The Student Room Group

Funding for a second masters degree

Is there anyway to get funding for a second masters degree?

Scroll to see replies

Hi

If you already hold a Masters qualification, Student Finance England will not offer funding for another one.

Thanks
Gerard
Hi Gerard,

Unfortunately I didn’t finish my masters due to personal reasons, would the same funding stop apply?
Original post by Buyberrygirl
Hi Gerard,

Unfortunately I didn’t finish my masters due to personal reasons, would the same funding stop apply?

Hi

If you did not complete your course due to Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) and you had previously received funding from us, you may be eligible to apply for finance again if CPR is awarded.

You would need to send us a letter detailing your CPR along with any evidence to support your circumstances.

There are many different reasons as to why a student may have had their study affected;

Illness

Bereavement

Family crisis

Pregnancy

Unavoidable caring responsibility

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence;

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and

When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include;

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks
Gerard
Hi Gerard,Hope you may be able to help!!Just to clarify... Would the situation be the same for somebody self-funded their first masters course?I took a masters course before postgraduate loans were available so had to self fund through part time work, placements etc. It was a bit of a stretch but scraped by. Fast forward 10 years I now work in a different industry. There is a fantastic opportunity to study a masters relevant to current industry at a local university. Despite having never took a penny of postgraduate loan before it seems I am unable to apply for one.Sure many ‘older ones’ will be in a similar situation. I wish I had held off doing a masters until postgrad loans were introduced, hindsight is a wonderful thing!Thx, Jon
Original post by Definitley_maybe
Hi Gerard,Hope you may be able to help!!Just to clarify... Would the situation be the same for somebody self-funded their first masters course?I took a masters course before postgraduate loans were available so had to self fund through part time work, placements etc. It was a bit of a stretch but scraped by. Fast forward 10 years I now work in a different industry. There is a fantastic opportunity to study a masters relevant to current industry at a local university. Despite having never took a penny of postgraduate loan before it seems I am unable to apply for one.Sure many ‘older ones’ will be in a similar situation. I wish I had held off doing a masters until postgrad loans were introduced, hindsight is a wonderful thing!Thx, Jon

Hi,

Can you confirm what Masters qualification you gained? If you already hold a Masters degree regardless of having funding from ourselves or not we would still take this into account.

And can you also confirm the course and university you would you be looking to study at?

Regards, Aisha
Hi Aisha, thank you for replying.My first masters was mechanical engineering in 2009. Ten years later I am now in software development so would like to study computer science possibly at University of York.It sounds like I’m not eligible due to having studied before albeit with no loan? Are there any circumstances I could obtain a loan?
Original post by Definitley_maybe
Hi Aisha, thank you for replying.My first masters was mechanical engineering in 2009. Ten years later I am now in software development so would like to study computer science possibly at University of York.It sounds like I’m not eligible due to having studied before albeit with no loan? Are there any circumstances I could obtain a loan?

Hi Jon,

As you already have a master’s qualification we are unable to offer you the Postgraduate Loan (PGL) for another master’s course.

Your university may know of other sources of funding you can apply for, for example scholarships and bursaries.

Thanks, Ashley.
Hi Gerard,I'm doing a 2 year, part time masters degree, if I wanted to change course halfway through this (after 1 year) could I still get funding for the next 2 years it would take to get my masters?Thanks,Esther
Original post by esther-reynolds
Hi Gerard,I'm doing a 2 year, part time masters degree, if I wanted to change course halfway through this (after 1 year) could I still get funding for the next 2 years it would take to get my masters?Thanks,Esther

Will you be withdrawing from your first course or are you transferring?
Original post by esther-reynolds

Hi Esther,

Will you be withdrawing completely from your course or transferring?

Thanks, Amy
Hi, Just wondering if anyone could help. I started a masters in 2016, I only did sept-jan as I fell ill and had to have time off due to this. By the time I was well again the year had finished. I then fell pregnant and I couldn’t take up the following year. I received 2/3 payments leaving £3400 left of the £10000I would like to do a masters on a different course but anyone have any advice if I can get any funding? Thanks Charlotte
Original post by Charliep50
Hi, Just wondering if anyone could help. I started a masters in 2016, I only did sept-jan as I fell ill and had to have time off due to this. By the time I was well again the year had finished. I then fell pregnant and I couldn’t take up the following year. I received 2/3 payments leaving £3400 left of the £10000I would like to do a masters on a different course but anyone have any advice if I can get any funding? Thanks Charlotte

Good morning Charlotte, you can potentially receive funding again, if you can provide Compelling Personal Reasons evidence https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year - your pregnancy is a valid reason.
Thanks, Isaac.
Hi,I hope someone can help.I am currently doing an MSc BUT it is a conversion course, which means this masters is equivalent to an undergraduate degree, and not equivalent to a masters.Would I be able to receive SFE funding for a masters? It would technically be my second, but it would actually be my first, since this one I am doing is a conversion course.Thank you!
Original post by LilyAlemany
Hi,I hope someone can help.I am currently doing an MSc BUT it is a conversion course, which means this masters is equivalent to an undergraduate degree, and not equivalent to a masters.Would I be able to receive SFE funding for a masters? It would technically be my second, but it would actually be my first, since this one I am doing is a conversion course.Thank you!

Hi Lily,

Funding will be available for postgraduate master's courses only (Level 7) starting on or after 1 August 2016 (16/17 AY).

The course must also be either:

A full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or
A part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or
A part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.
*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

The following courses are not eligible for funding:

3 year Part Time courses that are a 1 year FTE
4 year Part Time courses that are either a 1 year FTE or that have no FTE course
A partial postgraduate masters course
They are carrying credits over from a previous course in order to complete a postgraduate master's course**
**To be eligible the course must be a full, stand alone master's course and not a top up from a lower level course. The student must therefore be enrolled on the full master's course in order to receive PGM funding.

If your course is not a full masters course, you won't be eligible. If you have had previous postgraduate funding then you won't be eligible for funding again.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi, I hope someone here can help with my enquiry.My wife had to abandon her masters degree before finishing it, so she can move to the UK before brexit happened. She never got a UK student loan as her study was abroad, she is about to get her settled status and is thinking of starting a new masters here, would she be able to get a student loan as she doesn't have a masters degree and she never took a loan even tho she started another one abroad?
Original post by Sithlordsalem
Hi, I hope someone here can help with my enquiry.My wife had to abandon her masters degree before finishing it, so she can move to the UK before brexit happened. She never got a UK student loan as her study was abroad, she is about to get her settled status and is thinking of starting a new masters here, would she be able to get a student loan as she doesn't have a masters degree and she never took a loan even tho she started another one abroad?

Hi there, we can't advise of 21/22 postgraduate eligibility just yet. Please contact us again in the summer and we will be able to advise further.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 17
Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me. I studied a masters in 2012, self funded.I’m looking at a career change now and going onto a Postgraduate (pre reg) in physiotherapy. Would I be eligible for a student loan to fund the course despite already having a masters?
Original post by Lincs91
Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me. I studied a masters in 2012, self funded.I’m looking at a career change now and going onto a Postgraduate (pre reg) in physiotherapy. Would I be eligible for a student loan to fund the course despite already having a masters?

Good Afternoon,

Where are you looking to study? Do you have the course code?

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Reply 19
Hi, hoping someone can help. I've studied one year out of a part time masters, with one year left to go. This was funded with postgrad student finance, so I have had half of what I was entitled too. I had to take a year off for financial reasons, and I would now like to re-start my masters on a new course with a new university, distance learning so that I can work more hours alongside it.I don't think I'll qualify for compelling personal reasons, so does anyone know if I'd be able to process my change of course uni as a 'transfer' and keep access to my remaining loan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending