The Student Room Group

S5 options

I need some help

I am picking my S5 options and I want to do Higher Physics, Chemistry and Crash Higher History

I really want to do 5 Highers next year so what subjects would you recommend taking at Higher
Can anyone give advice for me?

This is giving me such a stress as I like to have a plan and its freaking me out please help me!!!!!!!
Original post by michaelfarnell5
I need some help

I am picking my S5 options and I want to do Higher Physics, Chemistry and Crash Higher History

I really want to do 5 Highers next year so what subjects would you recommend taking at Higher

This is giving me such a stress as I like to have a plan and its freaking me out please help me!!!!!!!

Take the subjects you enjoy at S4 and are doing well in, but try to think ahead to what career you are interested in so that you take any essential subject for that career. If you don’t know what you want to do after school, keep your options as wide open as possible. Work very hard in S5 as university offers are often made on S5 results, if you are going down the university pathway.
I need some help

What Nat 5s are you doing? And how have you been doing in them?

Do you know (it's totally ok if you don't!) what type of things you might like to do after school? Or what route you'd like to take- apprenticeship, employment, uni, college, etc.?
Original post by Labrador99
What Nat 5s are you doing? And how have you been doing in them?

Do you know (it's totally ok if you don't!) what type of things you might like to do after school? Or what route you'd like to take- apprenticeship, employment, uni, college, etc.?

I am doing Geography, Business, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish and English but the only one I'm really failing is Maths but I'm improving
I want to do Psychology and Sociology at University but I know I want to Crash Higher History next year alongside Higher Physics and Higher Chemistry but I dont know what other 2 I want to take
Original post by Cluck1519
Take the subjects you enjoy at S4 and are doing well in, but try to think ahead to what career you are interested in so that you take any essential subject for that career. If you don’t know what you want to do after school, keep your options as wide open as possible. Work very hard in S5 as university offers are often made on S5 results, if you are going down the university pathway.

I took the subjects I'm good at this year but I'm not enjoying them as I thought I would. And I just want to take subjects I like and enjoy but I'm a bit lost with it
I am doing Geography, Business, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish and English but the only one I'm really failing is Maths but I'm improving
I want to do Psychology and Sociology at University but I know I want to Crash Higher History next year alongside Higher Physics and Higher Chemistry but I dont know what other 2 I want to take

I'd recommend you take English, as it is listed as one of the subjects that may be a requirement for some types of psychology degree (I've had a look only at Glasgow- check the other websites too!). It's obviously an essay subject, which will be good for the degree you want to do. As for the 5th option, by that point you'll have covered all the main bases, so just pick whichever of the others works with the columns and you think you'll do well in. :smile:
I'd recommend you take English, as it is listed as one of the subjects that may be a requirement for some types of psychology degree (I've had a look only at Glasgow- check the other websites too!). It's obviously an essay subject, which will be good for the degree you want to do. As for the 5th option, by that point you'll have covered all the main bases, so just pick whichever of the others works with the columns and you think you'll do well in. :smile:

That’s good advice from Labrador99. Psychology and Sociology will require essay writing so choosing Higher English would be a good idea. You mentioned you wanted to take Higher Physics and Higher Chemistry and possibly Higher History (which is also a good social subject with essay writing) so another subject that fits the options columns would be the answer. Work hard to get the grades in the Nat 5 exams so that you can go ahead with these plans in August. Best of luck!
Higher History, English, Physics and Chemistry all sound great. As your 5th, maybe consider doing either Spanish or RMPS. RMPS is an extremely easy subject to crash all the while being incredibly interesting.

I've found out my full year has to take English next year so at least I have 1 option left but I have no idea
Thank you so much for your help
I need some help

In my opinion Higher English would be a good choice since it ties in really well with Higher History in terms of them both being essay based subjects. Also, I did Higher a English and it’s a really good subject where you have more options like choosing the base for your creative and persuasive essays.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Anonymous856
In my opinion Higher English would be a good choice since it ties in really well with Higher History in terms of them both being essay based subjects. Also, I did Higher a English and it’s a really good subject where you have more options like choosing the base for your creative and persuasive essays.

Hope this helps!

It helps a lot as my full year is getting forced to take English
Thank you for helping
And I've actually made my last choice I picked Spanish as well as the other 4
It helps a lot as my full year is getting forced to take English
Thank you for helping
And I've actually made my last choice I picked Spanish as well as the other 4

That’s great, I did Higher Spanish and I really enjoyed it, Hope you have a great year!
Original post by Anonymous856
That’s great, I did Higher Spanish and I really enjoyed it, Hope you have a great year!

Thank you ive also changed my options slightly and decided to do Geography again as it's a strong subject for me and possibly pick History in my S6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending