The Student Room Group

PTSD in the Armed Forces

Hi everyone,

I plan on joining the Navy after University, give or take the next 3/4 years.
When I was around 16 I was diagnosed with PTSD stemming from trauma when I was a child. Not a trigger that is anything related to anything that would be in the forces however.
I was only medication until I was around 16, but realising I wanted to go into the forces, I stopped myself cold turkey.

My PTSD is now in remission as of January, clear of depression, anxiety the lot. Haven’t taken any meds since Summer 2018 and never will again.

Are my chances completely gone of getting in the forces despite my past mental health problems being in remission and gone?

Any advice is great, Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Scarlettseaman1
Hi everyone,

I plan on joining the Navy after University, give or take the next 3/4 years.
When I was around 16 I was diagnosed with PTSD stemming from trauma when I was a child. Not a trigger that is anything related to anything that would be in the forces however.
I was only medication until I was around 16, but realising I wanted to go into the forces, I stopped myself cold turkey.

My PTSD is now in remission as of January, clear of depression, anxiety the lot. Haven’t taken any meds since Summer 2018 and never will again.

Are my chances completely gone of getting in the forces despite my past mental health problems being in remission and gone?

Any advice is great, Thankyou :smile:

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/medical#which-medical-conditions-will-stop-me-joining?

"Significant Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
More than 2 episodes of depression requiring treatment.
More than 2 episodes of anxiety requiring treatment."
Original post by Ciel.
https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/medical#which-medical-conditions-will-stop-me-joining?

"Significant Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
More than 2 episodes of depression requiring treatment.
More than 2 episodes of anxiety requiring treatment."

I’m not sure what would qualify as ‘significant PTSD’
Reply 3
I’m not sure what would qualify as ‘significant PTSD’

i guess they mean your symptoms are. e.g. whether you still experience symptoms like flashbacks or anxiety, or any physical symptoms, or suicidal thoughts.. i mean, there's no harm in applying, you never know. the link just tells you their general guidlines.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
i guess they mean your symptoms are. e.g. whether you're still experiencing symptoms like flashbacks or anxiety, or any physical symptoms, or suicidal thoughts.. i mean, there's no harm in applying, you never know. the link just tells you their general guidlines.

Thankyou, I appreciate it, do you reckon it is the same for the Navy?
I haven’t experienced any symptoms for over 2 years now so around 5 years by the time I join
Reply 5
I haven’t experienced any symptoms for over 2 years now so around 5 years by the time I join

yeah, probably. they're pretty strict on mental health. maybe email them, or something.
Reply 6

As you said yourself in another thread, yoy should not go cold turkey; being clear of certain treatment or medication is no guarantee you will be fit to join the Armed Forces and is putting your health at risk.

All the Services work to the same general medical standards, the exceptions being things like eyesight, where pilot is required to be better than ground trades. PTSD is usually a bar to entry for all the military, but the only way to find out is to make an application; there isnt amy othere way and no-one that you can email.

Quick Reply

Latest