The Student Room Group

International Development 2020 Applicants

Hey I sent off my UCAS on Friday (a bit late I know) and I'm applying for International Development. Just wanted to see other people who are applying for the course as the classes at each uni are pretty small but I really love the course :smile:)). Also, I know the course is not called international development everywhere, for example Global Sustainable Development at Warwick or Development Studies at SOAS so if you've applied for that too/instead, thats cool. Just have a couple of questions for you tiny group of people

1) Why international development?
2) What subjects do you take and what are you predicted?
3) What universities have you applied to and have you heard back from any?
4) Where do you really want to go and why?
5) Anything else you wanna add :smile:)
Reply 1
Original post by ubaydd
Hey I sent off my UCAS on Friday (a bit late I know) and I'm applying for International Development. Just wanted to see other people who are applying for the course as the classes at each uni are pretty small but I really love the course :smile:)). Also, I know the course is not called international development everywhere, for example Global Sustainable Development at Warwick or Development Studies at SOAS so if you've applied for that too/instead, thats cool. Just have a couple of questions for you tiny group of people

Feel like I should answer the questions first haha

1) It incorporates everything I do at the moment at A level and I really like the modules and how the course looks to the future of development.
2) Politics - A
Geography - A
Economics - A
EPQ - A
3) Global Sustainable Development - Warwick University
Politics, International Studies and Global Sustainable Development - Warwick University (a mouthful I know)
International Development and Politics - University of Birmingham
International Development with Economics - University of Bath
International Development - University of Sussex
Sent off my UCAS on 10th January so haven't heard back from any yet
4) Honestly I'm not sure. If I decide to stay at home its between Warwick and Birmingham if I decide to go away its between Bath and Sussex.
5) Good luck to everyone applying :smile:
Hey guys! I'm a SOAS digital ambassador - I'm a third-year Chinese and IR student, so I'm not an expert on international development, but if you have any questions about SOAS please feel free to ask! :h:
Original post by ubaydd

1) I stumbled on to the subject and fell in love as it was everything I wanted wrapped up in one as I loved both my geography and politics.
2) politics - A geography - A computing - A
3) I’ve heard back from all my unis
International development- reading
Politics and international development - Birmingham
Politics, international studies and global sustainable development - Warwick
International development - Leeds
Global development - York
4) I really like York as the campus was nice and I love the city and I liked the look of some of the modules
5) glad I finally found others applying for the course
1) I had always wanted to do medicine first, but then I started exploring my options and changing my a-levels around and stumbled upon the course, everything about it interested me and I had become really interested in social policy and development.

2) I take: Chemistry (Predicted A) , Geography (Predicted A*), Business BTEC (Predicted D*)

3) I only applied for four universities instead of my five as I really struggled on choosing different ones.> Global Development at York University (Distinction A A)> Sustainable Development at Edinburgh University ( Distinction B B)> International Development at Leeds University (Merit B B with Access to Leeds)> International Relations at York University (Distinction A A)I applied in October/November so have had all my offers back, I have firmed York for Global Development and put Sustainable Development at Edinburgh University as my insurance. I declined Leeds and the other York offer as I like the two other courses the most.

4) York University, I love the city and the feel and it isn't too far away from home (I'm from Newcastle) and the campus is amazing. The course is best suited for what I want to do also and the modules look really interesting and they are quite broad which I enjoy.

5) I was hoping to get in touch with some people applying to York or Edinburgh as I will be the only one I know going so it would be great to talk to others applying, and of course good luck everyone!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by harrison1401
1) I had always wanted to do medicine first, but then I started exploring my options and changing my a-levels around and stumbled upon the course, everything about it interested me and I had become really interested in social policy and development.

2) I take: Chemistry (Predicted A) , Geography (Predicted A*), Business BTEC (Predicted D*)

3) I only applied for four universities instead of my five as I really struggled on choosing different ones.> Global Development at York University (Distinction A A)> Sustainable Development at Edinburgh University ( Distinction B B)> International Development at Leeds University (Merit B B with Access to Leeds)> International Relations at York University (Distinction A A)I applied in October/November so have had all my offers back, I have firmed York for Global Development and put Sustainable Development at Edinburgh University as my insurance. I declined Leeds and the other York offer as I like the two other courses the most.

4) York University, I love the city and the feel and it isn't too far away from home (I'm from Newcastle) and the campus is amazing. The course is best suited for what I want to do also and the modules look really interesting and they are quite broad which I enjoy.

5) I was hoping to get in touch with some people applying to York or Edinburgh as I will be the only one I know going so it would be great to talk to others applying, and of course good luck everyone!

I’ve firmed York for global development as well!! I went to an offer holder day the other week and really enjoyed it.
Original post by alice0502
I’ve firmed York for global development as well!! I went to an offer holder day the other week and really enjoyed it.

I went on the offer holder day Yesterday. I thought it was great and I’m still happy I have firmed it
I went on the offer holder day Yesterday. I thought it was great and I’m still happy I have firmed it

Which college are you thinking of for accommodation?
Which college are you thinking of for accommodation?

Goodricke is my first choice, but definitely accommodation on the East Campus. What about you?
Goodricke is my first choice, but definitely accommodation on the East Campus. What about you?

I was thinking derwent or Alcuin as it’s near the politics department and lectures will mostly be on west campus.
I was thinking derwent or Alcuin as it’s near the politics department and lectures will mostly be on west campus.

True, I liked the fact I would be studying on the West campus and living on the East. I feel like it would be a nice break
True, I liked the fact I would be studying on the West campus and living on the East. I feel like it would be a nice break

True, would u like to be added to a chat for general York applicants on Facebook messenger? x
True, would u like to be added to a chat for general York applicants on Facebook messenger? x

Yeah :smile:, Are you able to pm me on here? I’m trying to find out how I just for the app but can’t figure it out hahaha :smile:
Yeah :smile:, Are you able to pm me on here? I’m trying to find out how I just for the app but can’t figure it out hahaha :smile:

Should have just sent you a message x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending