The Student Room Group

Are any you guys part of any professional societies?

Are any of you graduate guys part of any professional societies? Eg. The Royal Society of Biology.

My bachelors and masters would make me eligible for associate membership, but I’m not quite sure if it’s worth the subscription fee...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CTLeafez
Are any of you graduate guys part of any professional societies? Eg. The Royal Society of Biology.

My bachelors and masters would make me eligible for associate member, but I’m not quite sure if it’s worth the subscription fee...

Not a member of that specific society, but I'm a member of The Institute of Mathematics and it's Applications. It gives you a good pool of people to network with, waived or reduced conference fees are good and a magazine which gives opportunities to write/review articles and keeps you up to date with the broader mathematical world is nice. I can only speak of the IMA but I think it's worth it. I would hope that most societies would offer the same kind of things.
Reply 2
Original post by zetamcfc
Not a member of that specific society, but I'm a member of The Institute of Mathematics and it's Applications. It gives you a good pool of people to network with, waived or reduced conference fees are good and a magazine which gives opportunities to write/review articles and keeps you up to date with the broader mathematical world is nice. I can only speak of the IMA but I think it's worth it. I would hope that most societies would offer the same kind of things.

Did you join as soon as you graduated University? I believe the RSB does provide those opportunities, also reduced fees to take part in CPD courses. Also get a post-nominal to your name (never seen anyone besides Opticians in SpecSavers use post-nominals though) :biggrin:
If you don't mind me asking, how much is your annual subscription to IMA?
Did you join as soon as you graduated University? I believe the RSB does provide those opportunities, also reduced fees to take part in CPD courses. Also get a post-nominal to your name (never seen anyone besides Opticians in SpecSavers use post-nominals though) :biggrin:
If you don't mind me asking, how much is your annual subscription to IMA?

I got my subscription for free for getting a prize in my final year. Idk if this is indefinite or not but will be paying the fee even if it isn't as it's a nice thing to be a part of.
Reply 4
A few. BPS, UKABS, and IABS
I'm not, but I imagine it would definitely be great for networking and things like that.

Would anyone care to explain them a little more in-depth? I'm super curious!

Cheers :smile:
Joshua
I used to be a member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists when I was doing my first degree, but I didn't renew my membership once I graduated as it's only useful if you're practising.

I'm a member of a handful of charities/organisations relevant to my PhD, particularly those that run their own conferences/seminars.
I'm a BPS member and being a postgrad student its something like £36 a year - I don't ever read the magazines etc. but do get discounted tickets on conferences run by BPS and can use some fancy letters after my name (I don't :wink: )
Reply 8
Original post by Noodlzzz
Can use some fancy letters after my name (I don't :wink: )

Whattt? How else do you impress your Nan when you visit? 🤔

Tbf ive only ever seen post-nominals used in real life by opticians in SpecSavers on their office doors...
Yes.
SST, SYP, SfEP, IPSE, CBI, RPS (Royal Photographic).
Student membership of IoD and SoA.
Two think tank memberships.
Reply 10
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
SST, SYP, SfEP, IPSE, CBI, RPS (Royal Photographic).
Student membership of IoD and SoA.
Two think tank memberships.

That must cost multiple student loans to afford all those annual fees!
That must cost multiple student loans to afford all those annual fees!

I collect credit cards and gift bearing friends. :biggrin:
My student finance entitlement ended with first postgrad.
Original post by hallamstudents
I'm not, but I imagine it would definitely be great for networking and things like that.

Would anyone care to explain them a little more in-depth? I'm super curious!

Cheers :smile:
Joshua

Many professional organisations offer their members access to: free advice, insurance, competitions, networking events, seminars and cpd courses.
Often current students and new graduates benefit from lower priced associate membership.

For example the Society of Authors provides their membership with access to free contract clause vetting, a tax advice helpline and free ALCS membership.
The British Psychological Society provides: free access to a wide variety of journals, their official magazine, events, details of funding opportunities and discounts.
The IPSE provides members with access to: free access to a 24 hour legal advice helpline, insurance, representation in the event of a tax dispute, events and discounted courses/services.
Reply 13
Original post by londonmyst
I collect credit cards and gift bearing friends. :biggrin:
My student finance entitlement ended with first postgrad.

Friends who buy you membership to societies! Living the dream 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending