The Student Room Group

Anyone who dropped out?

Hey guys I wanted some advice

Im doing a master and I don’t think I like my course. It’s January so you could say I’ve done a good portion of it and could bear a little more and that’s what I’m planning to do.. but I also was wondering of dropping out?
I prefer to bear it but tbh it’s gotten to the point where it’s draining my energy and affects my mental health. I have no motivation to study and I don’t feel like doing it. I’m also not learning a lot tbh and I don’t think I like what we do

But I have some questions

What happens to the student loan if you drop out? Do you still have to pay? I only paid 1/3 of my course so far so would I have to pay the rest if I drop out or is it fine? Does my loan cancel it self or am I force to be stuck with it?
What about my grant? I got some grant but that doesn’t need to be paid back right?

Would I be kicked out of my accommodation? It’s a private student accommodation not a uni one. They only accept full time students so would they kick me out?

Lastly do you have any advice on just bearing it? I’m halfway so I guess I could bear it a little longer but I don’t have the strength. Do you have any tips?

Ps I’m studying in Wales so if you could offer advice that is applicable it’d be awesome

Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
What happens to the student loan if you drop out? Do you still have to pay? I only paid 1/3 of my course so far so would I have to pay the rest if I drop out or is it fine? Does my loan cancel it self or am I force to be stuck with it? You will have to inform SF that you have dropped out, after which your payments will be cancelled. You will have to repay any overpayment you've received immediately (i.e. if you received a term's payment tomorrow and dropped out the next day, you have to pay back the whole thing as you aren't there to spend it), the rest will be paid back after you earn a certain amount (as per usual).

What about my grant? I got some grant but that doesn’t need to be paid back right? You will need to speak to whomever pays you the grant about whether it needs to be returned.

Would I be kicked out of my accommodation? It’s a private student accommodation not a uni one. They only accept full time students so would they kick me out? Halls of any kind don't allow non-students to live there, so yes, you'd need to leave. HOWEVER, you'll very likely still be liable for the rent for the rest of the year unless you can find a replacement tenant.

Lastly do you have any advice on just bearing it? I’m halfway so I guess I could bear it a little longer but I don’t have the strength. Do you have any tips? Have you spoken to anyone at your university (i.e. student support, your personal tutor, the student union) about how you're feeling? Take advantage of the resources at your disposal, and see if you can get counselling and study skills support.

I've put my answers in bold in the quote above. :smile:
Original post by linctavia
Hey thank you so much.
I’m not sure I understand your last sentence in the first paragraph you answered in bold.
I paid 1/3 of my degree in October which means I did ‘spend’ it since i studied that term so does SF want that back or not ?
I should pay the second part tomorrow however if I drop out in a week, would they want the second part back? And what happens to the 3rd part?

This really impacts my mental health and I spoke to the mental health service. They will give me some support but I have not mentioned that I don’t feel content with my course and even if I do it’s not like they can do anything about it.
I guess my personal tutor can help me more in that but I don’t want to let him know that I don’t like this course cause if I do I’m pretty sure that all the lecturers will see me in a bad way, they’d think I don’t care and can’t be bothered about this course and I don’t want them to make things even more difficult for me.

SF won't want your first instalment back immediately, as you've effectively used that already. If you drop out a week after being paid your next instalment from SF, you'd need to pay the majority of that back straight away. Once you've told them you've dropped out, you want receive (or owe) the third instalment of your SF payment for this year.

It sounds like your course choice is the main root of your difficulties, so if it's something that can't be fixed, then dropping out is the best option. Another option is to see if you can transfer onto another course that interests you more at your current university. Lecturers won't bear a grudge - they are too busy for that tbh. Many people make a mistake in course choice, so you won't be the first nor the last.
Thank you that’s really helpful.

Also about the accommodation, would I need to find a tenant who’s name is the same as mine since that’s what’s on the lease?
I also don’t see the point why they don’t let me stay since they still want me to pay the rent. I also was planning to pay it with the grant so hopefully they don’t take the grant from me.

Wouldn’t transferring mean I have to wait for September?
Thank you that’s really helpful.

Also about the accommodation, would I need to find a tenant who’s name is the same as mine since that’s what’s on the lease?
I also don’t see the point why they don’t let me stay since they still want me to pay the rent. I also was planning to pay it with the grant so hopefully they don’t take the grant from me.

Wouldn’t transferring mean I have to wait for September?

No, you don't have to find someone with the same name (which would be near impossible!), just another student willing to move in and take over paying the rent - you'll need your accommodation's cooperation with this to transfer names on the legal documents. They won't let you stay unfortunately, as non-students are usually liable to pay council tax. Who is providing the grant? If it's being paid in instalments, I doubt you'd get any more after dropping out.

Transferring will mean either dropping out until September, or continuing on your current course (and potentially having to get a certain mark) until September - whichever your university decides.
(edited 4 years ago)
But how would my accommodation find out I dropped out? It’s a private one and doesn’t belong to the uni
But how would my accommodation find out I dropped out? It’s a private one and doesn’t belong to the uni

There will be a clause in your tenancy agreement that specifies that tenants need to be students. If you break it, you'll be liable for any penalties that they state.
Okay but how would my accommodation find out I dropped out? It’s a private one and doesn’t belong to the uni.
Okay but how would my accommodation find out I dropped out? It’s a private one and doesn’t belong to the uni.

Is it a private halls or a privately owned student house? Either way, breaking a clause of your tenancy agreement isn't worth the penalties you'd face. Also, what's the point in paying for accommodation you either aren't living in or are living there with nothing to do?
private halls. Who said I have nothing to do? I’m doing a certificate alongside my masters. I would still be doing my certificate if I stay
private halls. Who said I have nothing to do? I’m doing a certificate alongside my masters. I would still be doing my certificate if I stay

Saying you're dropping out usually means that you are leaving university completely - although you don't say what/who is awarding this certificate you're doing.
I’m not doing the certificate in this university though
I’m not doing the certificate in this university though

Well, just stay in your accommodation then. They probably won't find out, so as long as you keep up with your rent (and can afford it without Student Finance).
I pay it using the grant. Would the grant not be provided to me?
I pay it using the grant. Would the grant not be provided to me?

Is the grant given by Student Finance? If it is paid in instalments, your grant payments will stop once you drop out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending