The Student Room Group

Should I work during the next month?

I'm a full time student and my university has stopped all lectures and seminars for the foreseeable future. I still have exams and coursework due in May. I would like to be working during this time as I am trying to save money to visit my girlfriend in the states when the border restrictions are lifted, and I attended a meeting with a recruitment agency today about the possibility of working ata local Amazon warehouse for the next 4 weeks.

However, I live with housemates and I don't want to be the one who risks bringing this virus into the home if it starts to spread in my area. One of my housemates in particular is pretty terrified of the whole situation and wants us all to commit to staying in and having no guests.

Do you think it would be unreasonable and foolish of me to go ahead and work during this time? I am desperate to get over to the states and this may be the only opportunity for a while to get some money together.
Original post by Carpi123
I'm a full time student and my university has stopped all lectures and seminars for the foreseeable future. I still have exams and coursework due in May. I would like to be working during this time as I am trying to save money to visit my girlfriend in the states when the border restrictions are lifted, and I attended a meeting with a recruitment agency today about the possibility of working ata local Amazon warehouse for the next 4 weeks.

However, I live with housemates and I don't want to be the one who risks bringing this virus into the home if it starts to spread in my area. One of my housemates in particular is pretty terrified of the whole situation and wants us all to commit to staying in and having no guests.

Do you think it would be unreasonable and foolish of me to go ahead and work during this time? I am desperate to get over to the states and this may be the only opportunity for a while to get some money together.

How far away is the warehouse and how would you get there?
Is anyone living in your house an at-risk person?
Have you attempted to have a discussion about this with your housemates?
What does your girlfriend think?
Reply 2
Will you be able to ensure your university work will be done to a good standard alongside this work? Although how you have worded yourself suggests your university is not teaching online like a lot have shifted to. You are taking a risk going to work in a busy environment like that but I am sure they have safety measures in place already to stop the virus spreading. Like has already been suggested, if the one housemate who is cautious has a pre-existing health condition then it would not be wise to go out and work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending