The Student Room Group

Can I email Cambridge University?

Do you think I could email Cambridge? If so, who should I email? Maybe admissions?
I’m in year 13 and was going to take a gap year and apply for Psychology at Cambridge next year. Now that exams are cancelled, I am unsure as to wether they would deem my a-level grades as credible. I am predicted A*s so I hopefully will get the grades to at least apply for Cambridge next year, but now I’m unsure of my chances :frown:
email Cambridge admissions and probably the Cambridge colleges that you are interested in
Original post by Academicbee123
Do you think I could email Cambridge? If so, who should I email? Maybe admissions?
I’m in year 13 and was going to take a gap year and apply for Psychology at Cambridge next year. Now that exams are cancelled, I am unsure as to wether they would deem my a-level grades as credible. I am predicted A*s so I hopefully will get the grades to at least apply for Cambridge next year, but now I’m unsure of my chances :frown:

The grades you will be awarded this year (whether than be through your teacher assessment or by taking the examination in September) is as 'credible' as any other normal year. This is what the university will be basing your entry in. I don't really see what you're going to ask them.
Original post by Reality Check
The grades you will be awarded this year (whether than be through your teacher assessment or by taking the examination in September) is as 'credible' as any other normal year. This is what the university will be basing your entry in. I don't really see what you're going to ask them.

True. The idea is not that the grades are given in a haste -- even though they are -- and, for that, that they have some sort of expiry date. They are official grades and equivalent in credibility -- not necessarily in measure -- to those that you would've gotten otherwise.
Original post by Fredrik Aldwulf
True. The idea is not that the grades are given in a haste -- even though they are -- and, for that, that they have some sort of expiry date. They are official grades and equivalent in credibility -- not necessarily in measure -- to those that you would've gotten otherwise.

Yes, exactly.

I just can’t see universities like Oxford and Cambridge taking them as seriously and I feel like they will have bias against those applying next year from my year group.
I just can’t see universities like Oxford and Cambridge taking them as seriously and I feel like they will have bias against those applying next year from my year group.

So are you suggesting that for one year, neither Oxford nor Cambridge will be taking any students from your cohort because of some imagined problem with the A level grades that all 600,000 students in your cohort were awarded?

Don't be silly. If you're really thinking about Cambridge, you need to be a bit more organised and logical with your reasoning.
So are you suggesting that for one year, neither Oxford nor Cambridge will be taking any students from your cohort because of some imagined problem with the A level grades that all 600,000 students in your cohort were awarded?

Don't be silly. If you're really thinking about Cambridge, you need to be a bit more organised and logical with your reasoning.

Obviously they will take students this year. I’m applying for next year, so I was suggesting that they will prefer to give places to students who are going to sit the exams than those in my year who have not - seeing as they have a lot of choice over who they let in! There is no need to be passive aggressive.
Obviously they will take students this year. I’m applying for next year, so I was suggesting that they will prefer to give places to students who are going to sit the exams than those in my year who have not - seeing as they have a lot of choice over who they let in! There is no need to be passive aggressive.

It wasn't passive aggressive. It was pointing out a silly, badly-thought-through suggestion based on a hunch and no evidence.

Sorry you don't like that.
It wasn't passive aggressive. It was pointing out a silly, badly-thought-through suggestion based on a hunch and no evidence.

Sorry you don't like that.

It was passive aggressive though 🤷🏼*♀️ you must think you’re way above everyone else, seeing as your opinion can only possibly be the correct one!!
It was passive aggressive though 🤷🏼*♀️ you must think you’re way above everyone else, seeing as your opinion can only possibly be the correct one!!

But it is correct...

Would you like me to pretend it isn't just to make you feel better?

Actually was more active aggressive*, which is way better than passive aggressive believe me.

Like a reality check, no pun intended!
But it is correct...

Would you like me to pretend it isn't just to make you feel better?

How would that make me feel better? Your opinion would be better for me anyways, I’m trying to not get my hopes up like you’re implying.
I want an open discussion, not someone to get all up tight and offensive because I question their response.
Original post by Fredrik Aldwulf
Actually was more active aggressive*, which is way better than passive aggressive believe me.

Like a reality check, no pun intended!

:laugh: very accurate!
How would that make me feel better? Your opinion would be better for me anyways, I’m trying to not get my hopes up like you’re implying.
I want an open discussion, not someone to get all up tight and offensive because I question their response.

OK - you have a big discussion then about whether Cambridge and Oxford might be treating the results of the overwhelming majority of the entire UK A level cohort as somehow 'suspicious' or 'less valid' than the small proportion of students who might be rejecting their calculated grade and sitting the examination.

Because the answer to that question isn't totally ****ing obvious, of course.

:facepalm:
RC is completely correct, Oxbridge will have no choice but to accept qualifications awarded this cycle as they would any other. They don't have any choice in the matter.
If you’re really that worried about your summer grades not being taken seriously, sit the exams in September.

If you get A*s I dont think they could discriminate against your application, the pandemic is not your fault. They will still have the admissions tests & interview to determine your academic capability and as long as you do something productive with this year I dont think they'll give a ****.

By all means email them, and yes admissions is the right place.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending