The Student Room Group

Not achieving the grades needed for your firm choice (mathematics)

Right, I have applied for university in mathematics at Manchester, Exeter, Nottingham, Lancaster and Bristol. Preferably I would like to attend Manchester and my offer is AAA and no grade required in further maths (AS). Exeter would be my insurance and that offer is ABC.

I think I will likely get the following grades A*AAA (maths, physics, economics and further maths (AS)). However, I would not be completely surprised if I don't get an A in Economics and rather a B. As Manchester has not given me an offer conditional to an A* in maths or any grade in further maths (AS) I may not get the grades required for Manchester.

Having looked at the courses, in as much detail as possible, I would prefer Manchester and so is there anything I can do now to improve my chances. Like potentially asking for an offer including further (AS) and A* in maths? And what happens when you don't get the grades needed? Say I get A*ABA - would they potentially take me anyway as this is probably better than my offer anyway (from a maths perspective).

I would also add that I believe both my personal statement and references are very good and so if they were to be considered that may be a good thing. My personal statement talks about using rigorous proofs and the use of our established axioms along with specific examples of mathematics I've enjoyed in my spare time, like that of the Gaussian integral and the Gamma function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Joshua.Hudss
Right, I have applied for university in mathematics at Manchester, Exeter, Nottingham, Lancaster and Bristol. Preferably I would like to attend Manchester and my offer is AAA and no grade required in further maths (AS). Exeter would be my insurance and that offer is ABC.

I think I will likely get the following grades A*AAA (maths, physics, economics and further maths (AS)). However, I would not be completely surprised if I don't get an A in Economics and rather a B. As Manchester has not given me an offer conditional to an A* in maths or any grade in further maths (AS) I may not get the grades required for Manchester.

Having looked at the courses, in as much detail as possible, I would really prefer to go to Manchester and so is there anything I can do now to improve my chances. Like potentially asking for an offer including further (AS) and A* in maths? And what happens when you don't get the grades needed? Say I get A*ABA - would they potentially take me anyway as this is probably better than my offer anyway (from a maths perspective).

I would also add that I believe both my personal statement and references are very good and so if they were to be considered that may be a good thing. My personal statement talks about using rigorous proofs and the use of our established axioms along with specific examples of mathematics I've enjoyed in my spare time, like that of the Gaussian integral and the Gamma function.

Hi Joshua.Hudss. I am sure that with those high grades you would be fine. However, if you are very worried I suggest that you contact the Manchester admissions team for a chat and try to gauge where they stand with regards softening this year for Mathematics.
However, if you are not offered a place there we would love to welcome you to Exeter.
Good luck and try not to worry too much - all universities are working to ensure that students are not disadvantaged by the unusual circumstances this year.
Karen - Student Recruitment Team
Reply 2
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Hi Joshua.Hudss. I am sure that with those high grades you would be fine. However, if you are very worried I suggest that you contact the Manchester admissions team for a chat and try to gauge where they stand with regards softening this year for Mathematics.
However, if you are not offered a place there we would love to welcome you to Exeter.
Good luck and try not to worry too much - all universities are working to ensure that students are not disadvantaged by the unusual circumstances this year.
Karen - Student Recruitment Team

Hi, thank you for your advice and reassurance. I think I'll contact the Manchester admission team and see if they have any further advice or information.
Original post by GammaOfi

Having looked at the courses, in as much detail as possible, I would prefer Manchester and so is there anything I can do now to improve my chances. Like potentially asking for an offer including further (AS) and A* in maths? And what happens when you don't get the grades needed? Say I get A*ABA - would they potentially take me anyway as this is probably better than my offer anyway (from a maths perspective).

Hi.
I work in admissions for Maths at the University of Manchester. If we asked for AAA and you end up with A*AB we'd be ok with that as long as the B isn't in FM. I hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Steven Broom
Reply 4
Original post by username2936208
Hi.
I work in admissions for Maths at the University of Manchester. If we asked for AAA and you end up with A*AB we'd be ok with that as long as the B isn't in FM. I hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Steven Broom

Thank for your reply and hope to start university at Manchester in September. I also look forward to 'meeting' you tomorrow for the tutorial session on limits and L'Hôpital's rule. I finished both worksheets earlier today and I am excited to learn more about these powerful tools of mathematics.
Best wishes ,
Josh.H
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by username2936208
Hi.
Best wishes,
Steven Broom

Hi,
I had a question about limits but didn't get the chance to ask before the tutorial ended. My question is about raising e to the power of a limit to get the necessary indeterminate forms to apply L'hopital rule. This property seems very useful for limits like x^x, as x tends to 0, but the book fails to give the following equation and subsequent method any name. So I was wondering if this has a particular name and/or there is anywhere I could go for further reading.
Many thanks,
Josh.H
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending