The Student Room Group

Should fat people have to pay for healthcare?

I was watching a thing on coronavirus and obesity. During the video it was suggested that people who are obese (excluding those with medical conditions causing it e.g thyroid problems) who could loose the weight but can’t be bothered (ie they’ve made no significant effort to loose any) should have to pay for any medical treatment they need as a result. So say they develop type 2 diabetes then they’d have to pay for their treatment. Is this a good idea?
Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh this is quite interesting. I'd hate to think someone in the UK had to pay for medication that was otherwise free- what would count as 'not significant effort' though? As in, I feel like it could be measured inaccurately or with disregard to other factors. So my response is a heavy shoulder shrug.
What about a tax repayment for people within a healthish BMI range- maybe 17.0-29? To reflect that because they make healthier lifestyle choices on average they cost the NHS less.

That could be unfair on people who have a genuine health condition that causes them to be over or underweight, so perhaps they could get the repayment as well.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Arguably they already do, paying tax and all that. But given that chunky monkeys make up a fair whack of the population i imagine it would be... politically difficult.
Original post by Napp
Arguably they already do, paying tax and all that. But given that chunky monkeys make up a fair whack of the population i imagine it would be... politically difficult.

Chunky monkeys :rofl:

Otherwise known as 'lard-arses'
only if anorexics have to pay for healthcare too. i mean its two sides of the same coin after all.
These days there’s not that many young obese people. Many of the obese people are older people with bad metabolic rates making it much harder for them to stay at a healthy weight. I think if we question the right of free healthcare for fat people, we should certainly do that for people that smoke, legal racing drivers (likely to be involved in a car crash), people that do stunts for a living, boxers, wrestlers, people that use steroids at gym .. who all chose to lead dangerous lives that on average cost much more money to treat for the NHS.
Original post by Delusion6
only if anorexics have to pay for healthcare too. i mean its two sides of the same coin after all.

Not really as obisity isn't caused by a psychiatric illness (normally). Where as anorexia is a psychiatric illness.

Anorexics aren't always underweight anyway.
Original post by glassalice
Not really as obisity isn't caused by a psychiatric illness (normally). Where as anorexia is a psychiatric illness.

Anorexics aren't always underweight anyway.

Plenty if mental health medication causes weight gain, as can birth control and certain hormonal conditions. Comfort eating also isnt uncommon to cope with mental health issues for some people.
Where do you draw the line? More to the point why are people sitting in judgement when these people pay taxes like everyone else and their medical history only need concern themselves and their doctors.
If you make overweight people pay for their care then I hope people who induced psychosis through drug use, people who smoke, people who drink in excess and people who eat high volumes of meat are all suitably charged.
Original post by Sophhhowa
I was watching a thing on coronavirus and obesity. During the video it was suggested that people who are obese (excluding those with medical conditions causing it e.g thyroid problems) who could loose the weight but can’t be bothered (ie they’ve made no significant effort to loose any) should have to pay for any medical treatment they need as a result. So say they develop type 2 diabetes then they’d have to pay for their treatment. Is this a good idea?
Discuss

How much tax do you pay?
Should fat people let non taxpayers have an education or use the health service?
You are certainly full of bile.
Theres a really nasty streak about you and very similar to the pleasantri person imo.
(edited 3 years ago)
Not really as obisity isn't caused by a psychiatric illness (normally).

absolute bullsh-t

both are classified as 'eating disorders' for a reason.
No. They pay taxes, just like everyone else, meaning that they deserve health care.
You can’t tell them to pay taxes for the NHS, and then not let them use it. That’s not right.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
Plenty if mental health medication causes weight gain, as can birth control and certain hormonal conditions. Comfort eating also isnt uncommon to cope with mental health issues for some people.
Where do you draw the line? More to the point why are people sitting in judgement when these people pay taxes like everyone else and their medical history only need concern themselves and their doctors.
If you make overweight people pay for their care then I hope people who induced psychosis through drug use, people who smoke, people who drink in excess and people who eat high volumes of meat are all suitably charged.

See earlier post acknowledging it can be out side of some peoples control.
Comfort eating is a choice where as a condition like PCOS most certainly isn't.
Any kind of illness has wider implications on society. So while one indervidual person is no one's business, trends in society are.
Reply 13
Original post by Sophhhowa
Discuss

nah, it's a stupid idea. like what about people who do drugs, drink too much, people with eating disorders etc. etc. it just wouldn't be fair to exclude one group and not the rest
Original post by Delusion6
absolute bullsh-t

both are classified as 'eating disorders' for a reason.

No. Does every signal obese person have binge eating disorder? I don't think so. I know they don't. There is such a thing as a choice. In the same way not everyone with a BMI of 16.5 has anorexia.
Original post by Reality Check
Chunky monkeys :rofl:

Otherwise known as 'lard-arses'

Single handedly trying to support the malt whisky and rocking chair industry in its time of need........
Any kind of illness has wider implications on society. So while one indervidual person is no one's business, trends in society are.

Would you prefer them to cope using more harmful methods to themselves such as drugs and other self destructive things?
Are alcoholics who are addicted to alcohol allowed the privilege or using the NHS? Can I get a tax refund for being teetotal?
Are people with binge eating disorders that make them gain weight allowed treatment then if anorexics are?
Or is this thread just another excuse for others to judge people at face value for factors you dont know if they can control :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

why do people comfort eat?
to help them cope with something, usually things related to mental health issues.
therefore also classified as a disorder. many psychiatrists recognise it after all. thats why they always do regular physical health checks whenever you are assigned to a mental health team and an indicator is usually your weight - too skinny or too fat can always be a sign that you're struggling with your mental health
Reply 18
Original post by CoolCavy
Would you prefer them to cope using more harmful methods to themselves such as drugs and other self destructive things?
Are alcoholics who are addicted to alcohol allowed the privilege or using the NHS? Can I get a tax refund for being teetotal?
Are people with binge eating disorders that make them gain weight allowed treatment then if anorexics are?
Or is this thread just another excuse to judge people at face value for factors you dont know if they can control :smile:

don't forget about people with birth defects! their mothers should pay that extra tax, their wombs must've been faulty
No. Does every signal obese person have binge eating disorder? I don't think so. I know they don't. There is such a thing as a choice. In the same way not everyone with a BMI of 16.5 has anorexia.

Not every single one of them but a good majority to clinically obese and clinically anorexic have an underlining problem that they are dealing with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending