The Student Room Group

A Level grades for University of Bristol

I have applied to study History at University of Bristol, however I will probably get A Level grades of AAB whereas I need AAA. Does this mean that I am unlikely to be accepted? Really worried about it😭 😭
Nobody can tell you this definitely but Bristol university and even they might not know until results day. It all depends on how many have met their offers and whether there are still spare spaces. If I was to guess I suspect you will get in especially if students defer as expected but nobody can confirm that.
Original post by cath1015
I have applied to study History at University of Bristol, however I will probably get A Level grades of AAB whereas I need AAA. Does this mean that I am unlikely to be accepted? Really worried about it😭 😭

what subjects did you study
Reply 3
Original post by debbietg02
what subjects did you study

why would that matter?
why would that matter?

i was just wondering

Try not to worry too much- you might get a surprise on results day and get the results you need. You could also contact Bristol- although they are unlikely to give any guarantees right now.

In previous years, I think you may have got in dropping one grade BUT it's very difficult to say this year.

Do you have an insurance choice?
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Try not to worry too much- you might get a surprise on results day and get the results you need. You could also contact Bristol- although they are unlikely to give any guarantees right now.

In previous years, I think you may have got in dropping one grade BUT it's very difficult to say this year.

Do you have an insurance choice?

yes I do have an insurance choice but obviously Bristol is my firm choice for a reason!
yes I do have an insurance choice but obviously Bristol is my firm choice for a reason!

Obviously, but if you are pretty sure you will end up with AAB or lower and not just worrying because it's all an unknown, you do need to think about whether you'd be really happy to go there, or if you'd want to look around for something else in clearing.
Reply 8
Obviously, but if you are pretty sure you will end up with AAB or lower and not just worrying because it's all an unknown, you do need to think about whether you'd be really happy to go there, or if you'd want to look around for something else in clearing.

It's not so much that I'd be unhappy with my insurance, it's just that I really want my firm
It's not so much that I'd be unhappy with my insurance, it's just that I really want my firm

Yeah, I fully understand that- ultimately it's very hard to make predictions about what will happen on results day this year. You might get grades you are happy with, too.
Reply 10
Yeah, I fully understand that- ultimately it's very hard to make predictions about what will happen on results day this year. You might get grades you are happy with, too.

Well where would the chances acceptance when AAB be in terms of looking at previous years?
Well where would the chances acceptance when AAB be in terms of looking at previous years?

You won't find these details anywhere online- unis don't release them. However, it's possible over the last couple of years you would have been accepted with AAB- but things will be so different this year that it's hard to make comparisons.

Most universities offering AAA would usually accept AAB but nobody can say that will definitely happen. Bristol do usually accept a dropped grade but that isnt definite and nobody can give the assurance you want,
Reply 13
You won't find these details anywhere online- unis don't release them. However, it's possible over the last couple of years you would have been accepted with AAB- but things will be so different this year that it's hard to make comparisons.

surely things will be different this year in a more favourable way since there will be less international students and possibly more deferrals?
surely things will be different this year in a more favourable way since there will be less international students and possibly more deferrals?

Not necessarily- the government has put a cap on English student numbers, so unis can't take lots of extra English students this year compared to their normal numbers. UCAS speculate that around 20 unis could be affected by this in terms of having courses that are "full"- I'd guess Bristol is likely to be within these unis, but this is all guesswork.

The number of deferrals at the moment is low enough that it probably won't make a huge difference.

So it's possible at some unis this year students will get rejected or possibly offered alternative courses with grades that could have got them in last year.

We don't know exactly what grades will look like this year either- numbers of students getting each grade are meant to be comparable, but the system being used by exam boards probably won't be perfect, and evidence suggests most teachers have been relatively generous with their predictions.

I'm sorry I'm not telling you what you want to hear.
why would that matter?

It is actually relevant. For example, as long as you have an A in History you are more likely to get in with AAB, but if the B is in History then maybe it is more questionable. Like everyone has said this year is unpredictable though, so you never know. Good luck!
Reply 16
Not necessarily- the government has put a cap on English student numbers, so unis can't take lots of extra English students this year compared to their normal numbers. UCAS speculate that around 20 unis could be affected by this in terms of having courses that are "full"- I'd guess Bristol is likely to be within these unis, but this is all guesswork.

The number of deferrals at the moment is low enough that it probably won't make a huge difference.

So it's possible at some unis this year students will get rejected or possibly offered alternative courses with grades that could have got them in last year.

We don't know exactly what grades will look like this year either- numbers of students getting each grade are meant to be comparable, but the system being used by exam boards probably won't be perfect, and evidence suggests most teachers have been relatively generous with their predictions.

I'm sorry I'm not telling you what you want to hear.

well if schools are being generous then insurance choice it is for me then (there's just no way I will get an A in 1 of my subjects) :frown::frown:
well if schools are being generous then insurance choice it is for me then (there's just no way I will get an A in 1 of my subjects) :frown::frown:

You can't know what will happen- I'd try not to worry about it too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending