The Student Room Group

Bags for university

Hello, I’m a girl and I will be starting university soon. I was just wondering what would be the best bag to carry or what are most common? Backpack/ bag? I’m thinking of carrying a laptop with me so I would need space for it too :smile: do you normally need to carry around lots of things? Thanks :smile:
Sturdy backpack with padding if you wanna pop your laptop in there too!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I’m a girl and I will be starting university soon. I was just wondering what would be the best bag to carry or what are most common? Backpack/ bag? I’m thinking of carrying a laptop with me so I would need space for it too :smile: do you normally need to carry around lots of things? Thanks :smile:

A laptop bag is all you need. You will certainly need a laptop or iPad since lectures are now posted electronically by the teachers at least a day in advance so that you can download them. Some students print off the lecture notes and write their own notes in the margins. If your pc is strong enough, you can simply annotate the ppt slides on your pc. Whilst there are hard copies of core text books available from the library, lots of unis are moving to eBooks rather than hard copies.
I got a Kipling laptop rucksack which was big enough for laptop if needed and files and books.
But carrying all that is so heavy so textbooks stay at home now!
I print out slides and write on during lectures so also need it ending case and clipboard and water bottle etc.

Yeah if you gonna be holding a laptop make sure you've got a case, mine got scratched alot in my bag

Try get the slimmest bag you possibly can. Otherwise you might look daft, hear me out:

Make sure you get something tiny make sure you got enough space for your iPad/laptop and books whatever.
Some people get big bags for their gym stuff but I am against the idea. I would buy a locker and get a separate sports bag for that.

Don't forget to waterproof spray your bag
Last thing you want is soaked books
Try get the slimmest bag you possibly can. Otherwise you might look daft, hear me out:

Make sure you get something tiny make sure you got enough space for your iPad/laptop and books whatever.
Some people get big bags for their gym stuff but I am against the idea. I would buy a locker and get a separate sports bag for that.

Don't forget to waterproof spray your bag
Last thing you want is soaked books

line 2 mistake :
Make sure you don't get something tiny *

Also don't spend too much money / effort on a bag because nobody will judge you for it.
Its worth going through a little stress to get a nice one tho! ...otherwise you might regret it.

I have a structured tote bag (from ralph lauren), just about big enough to fit a 13' mac in, alongside stationary and water bottle etc without being too bulky. I didn't tend to carry much in my bag as i was close to campus last year, but it depends on the course and personal preference :smile:

Hello there,

Throughout my time at university, I tried many different types of bags and found a bagpack to be the best for me! I used to arrive at university in the morning, then have lunch and then attend my lecturers (which in some semesters were primarily in the afternoons). The bagpack meant I was able to fit in my water bottle, lunch, pen, paper and laptop. I liked also that this could all be zipped up so that if I knocked it over in a lecture, I didnt have to worry about all of my stuff falling everywhere. However this is only a personal preference and if you lived on campus for example, you may return home for lunch and as such wouldn't need such a big bag!

Hope this helps,
Millie
Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending