The Student Room Group

Clearing for environmental science

My original plan was uni of Aberdeen and geophysics but after getting bad grade for physics and maths I didn't reach my offer there. My insurance was environmental science (which I have decided suits me better anyways) at Aberdeen but I'm not sure will I be able to get there either as Aberdeen's messages have been very confusing and they are slow at replying so I'm getting ready to use clearing if needed.

Scotland was my number one choice as EU student but if it's true what I have heard they don't really do clearing for EU students so I'll be looking at English unis. I have good grades EEEEMCCC which would be about AAAABCCC in British grading system and they seem to fulfill the requirements of a lot of unis.

My only worry is that I'm not sure if environmental science is something that's normally in clearing. I have never even looked at clearing as I thought I'm in and if not I can just reapply next year but with Brexit that's not an option. I have been looking at unis like Manchester, Leeds and York. Does anyone have any idea are their environmental science programs normally in clearing?
Original post by I-A
My original plan was uni of Aberdeen and geophysics but after getting bad grade for physics and maths I didn't reach my offer there. My insurance was environmental science (which I have decided suits me better anyways) at Aberdeen but I'm not sure will I be able to get there either as Aberdeen's messages have been very confusing and they are slow at replying so I'm getting ready to use clearing if needed.

Scotland was my number one choice as EU student but if it's true what I have heard they don't really do clearing for EU students so I'll be looking at English unis. I have good grades EEEEMCCC which would be about AAAABCCC in British grading system and they seem to fulfill the requirements of a lot of unis.
in environmental

My only worry is that I'm not sure if environmental science is something that's normally in clearing. I have never even looked at clearing as I thought I'm in and if not I can just reapply next year but with Brexes that's not an option. I have been looking at unis like Manchester, Leeds and York. Does anyone have any idea are their environmental science programs normally in clearing?

What part of environmental science are you interested in. Aberystwyth is a small university quite remote from most places with a beach near the campus and in the middle of a mountainous area. Exeter do environmental courses on their Penryn campus. Again quite a small place and quite remote from most places. Brilliant place to study unless you are looking for nightlife. Swansea also offer environmental courses. The university is next to the beach and has the the Gower beaches nearby. A lively nightlife as well. All are likely to be in clearing
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
What part of environmental science are you interested in. Aberystwyth is a small university quite remote from most places with a beach near the campus and in the middle of a mountainous area. Exeter do environmental courses on their Penryn campus. Again quite a small place and quite remote from most places. Brilliant place to study unless you are looking for nightlife. Swansea also offer environmental courses. The university is next to the beach and has the the Gower beaches nearby. A lively nightlife as well. All are likely to be in clearing

I'm most interested in climate, oceanography and arctic areas but with my bachelor's I'm looking for a good overall course. Manchester does seem interesting as in their course you can choose atmospheric science. I'll def check out those unis you mentioned cause I feel like I should also look at smaller unis.
Original post by I-A
I'm most interested in climate, oceanography and arctic areas but with my bachelor's I'm looking for a good overall course. Manchester does seem interesting as in their course you can choose atmospheric science. I'll def check out those unis you mentioned cause I feel like I should also look at smaller unis.

They dont run an environmental science course as far as I can see but I know some of the physical Geography lecturers have keen interests similar to yours.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/geography/bsc-environmental-geoscience-ff86/
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/geography/exegeogbsc/
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/envsci/envsci/
Hi @I-A

I am currently a 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. Despite being a smaller town there is plenty of things to do in the town and on the doorstep. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel.

Aberystwyth is a great place to study Environmental Sciences as we are set in Cardigan Bay and surrounded by a range of habitats including marine, moorland, mountain and grassland, making for some great fieldwork opportunities!

Aberystwyth is in the top 10 in the UK for the subject of Geography & Environmental Science (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019).

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and definitely helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are definitely useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and what you are going to get out of it.

Here at Aberystwyth we have modules in Climate Change: Plants, Animals And Ecosystems, The Frozen Planet, and Glaciers And Ice Sheets which sound like they align with your interest.

Please feel free to have a look here for more information.

Please let me know if you have any questions 😊

Rebecca
(edited 3 years ago)
Have you looked at Plymouth at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending