The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Uni Accomodation

Heya, I'm looking into Hyg Therapy at Sheffield Uni for April 2021 intake. Due to the pandemic, the open day was cancelled so it was all done online. I didn't get to see the city or ask any questions :frown:
I was just curious about what sort of accommodation there is and what everyone personal experiences have been like. I'm 20 (21 in Dec) and not keen on staying in halls.
would love a studio apartment but it's hella expensiveeeee. Can you house share first year or is that weird as that seems to be the best option so far.

P.S does anyone know how it will work as the Hygiene Therapy course runs from April to April and most accom is Sept to Sept

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading :P
Gabs x
Original post by Gabbiiexox
Heya, I'm looking into Hyg Therapy at Sheffield Uni for April 2021 intake. Due to the pandemic, the open day was cancelled so it was all done online. I didn't get to see the city or ask any questions :frown:
I was just curious about what sort of accommodation there is and what everyone personal experiences have been like. I'm 20 (21 in Dec) and not keen on staying in halls.
would love a studio apartment but it's hella expensiveeeee. Can you house share first year or is that weird as that seems to be the best option so far.

P.S does anyone know how it will work as the Hygiene Therapy course runs from April to April and most accom is Sept to Sept

Gabs x

Hi Gabs,

I stayed in Allen Court in my first and second years and loved it. It's still university halls but City Accommodation tends to be quieter than Endcliffe/Ranmoor. When applying for Allen Court you can note down certain preferences (eg. not keen on staying in a flat that is too noisy etc.) and these notes will be taken into account when allocating you a flat/flatmates. I haven't personally come across anyone who has gone straight into a house in first year as this is normally done in second or third years once you have met fellow students. However, there are always people looking out for housemates in Sheffield Student pages on Facebook, for example, so you may find something there.
You can also look at private accommodation such as The Student Roost which you may be interested in :smile:

Hope this helps! Please do let me know if you have any more questions about how I found living in Allen Court, or about the city in general!
Emily - BMus, 2nd Year
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Ash that’s perfect. Thank you so much Emily.I’ll have a look into Allen court now xx :smile:
Original post by Gabbiiexox

Gabs x

The main advantages of halls are a recognisable landlord and mixing with lots of freshers to make friends.
If you dont care for that then it depends on your budget and where you wish to live.
Sheffield has a good supply of accommodation and it tends to be reasonably priced.

You might get a studio if you are prepared to live further out, although some halls have studios as well.

You can get an idea of the prices from studentspareroom or spare room

https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=979451147&mode=list&
https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=979451409&

The date start and end times are unusual, but if you fancy a house or studio then just go as a normal private tenant or ask your school if you can put a notice to contact other people on the course for a houseshare.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
The main advantages of halls are a recognisable landlord and mixing with lots of freshers to make friends.
If you dont care for that then it depends on your budget and where you wish to live.
Sheffield has a good supply of accommodation and it tends to be reasonably priced.

You might get a studio if you are prepared to live further out, although some halls have studios as well.

You can get an idea of the prices from studentspareroom or spare room

https://student.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=979451147&mode=list&
https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/?search_id=979451409&

The date start and end times are unusual, but if you fancy a house or studio then just go as a normal private tenant or ask your school if you can put a notice to contact other people on the course for a houseshare.

Great thank you so much!!! x
Hey :smile: I’m starting at Sheffield this September too, and I’ve booked Allen Court! I’m 22, and wasn’t keen on staying in halls either but I heard good things about AC and that’s it’s quieter etc.. so I booked an en-suite room there. There’s a group chat I’m in of other people in AC, and everyone seems lovely and there’s a good mix of people who enjoy a range of activities, not just going clubbing! Good luck and maybe see you there in a few months! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending